Fashion boutique in Hockley 1970s

Hi

I visited a charity shop in Hockley the other day and when I went downstairs I got serious dejvu! Think it used to be a trendy girls boutique in 1970s. Not Ice Nine, although I would be interested to be reminded what that used to be too. It was a smaller shop on one of the other corners on the same side as Ice Nine. Anyone remember either shop in the 70s?

WG

The vision would have to be dire to make me have a brandy. It would be the first.

Sherrie Hewson's mum Joy had a clothes shop up Hockley .

Can't remember what it was called though.....all I remember was that it was on the right going up the hill away from Woolworths .

Hockley area and above were very drab in the 70's,most shops had moved or closed.

Timothy Whites/woolies and even The Nelson eventually fell away.

Midland Group Gallery,Ice Nine and Mushroom got it going,Roxy/Roxanne were replaced by G.Force and punk outfitters.

Later hot brick/browns cheered it up.

Anyone recall the old geezer in the 'after hours' bar in the George Hotel?

The name Boogaloo rings a bell. There was a shop in Hockley where I bought one or two outfits round about 1975 or 76. I couldn't say for certain what it was called but I seem to remember that if you are standing at the side of the George Hotel and walking down towards Woolworths, this shop was on the left and it was on the corner. It wasn't a terribly large shop but it appealed to me because some of the clothes they sold were quite unusual and I still have a black crepe trouser suit that I bought from there in 1975. Haven't tried it on for years and probably couldn't even get into it now as in 1975 I was a size 6 or 8 but, sadly, no longer!

I have read elsewhere that Boogaloo was on both Goldsmith Street and Bridlesmith Gate at various times. I do remember Bus Stop which was there for years and The Birdcage which was more my older sister's era.

Both stocked unusual designs. Who wants to look like everybody else?...a la Primark?!

• Upvote 2