Hi,

I found this site when searching for an address in Nottingham.

I have a scanned copy of a 1912 marriage certificate for George William Smitham & Jane Byron, the problem I'm having is I am unable to find the address the happy couple gave at the time, the marriage took place at St Pauls Church Nottingham and the address given is 7 Snow Hill for both parties.

Can any kind soul shed some light on the address.

Thanks & Regards

George J. Smith

Snow Hill was off Colwick Street . Sneinton ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

David D & Cliff Ton,

Sorry for the tardy reply.

Thanks for your responses, I eventually found a map (OS 25 Inch 1892-1914) on the NLS site which showed Snow Hill, along with all the other places my forbears lived in Nottingham between 1850 and 1930, all within a 2 mile radius of Snow Hill.

I now have another question:

When was the first occupancy of the houses adjacent to the John Player Schools on Beechdale road, Bilborough?

I was born at number 54 (on the corner of the junction with HIghwood avenue), my grandparents were listed there in the 1939 register, they were in Woolpack lane in 1925 and Victory yard in 1931 but I have been unable to trace when they moved to number 54, I even tried the Nottingham Council heritage site but they could not provide a definitive answer.

I found an article regarding the construction work carried out at the lower end of Beechdale road where it joins Western boulevard but unfortunately it gave no information regarding the completion of the construction work at the top end of Beechdale road.

I found a map at NLS, revised 1938 and published 1947, which shows Beechdale road down as far as where the Bilborough bus depot was later sited and where the dual carriageway became a single carriageway, just above Robins wood.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

George

12 hours ago, gjs1949 said:

When was the first occupancy of the houses adjacent to the John Player Schools on Beechdale road, Bilborough?

It's not easy to find a specific date for something like that unless you know someone who moved in when it was all new.

The best bet might be to look at Electoral Registers, which will name people who were living at the relevant place on a particular date. Electoral Registers won't start until there's someone living there, so by a process of elimination you'll find the first one.

The first mention of anything to do with Beechdale Road in the news archives , whether to do with people living there or construction etc. is 1936 . This fits in with your other dates .

45 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

It's not easy to find a specific date for something like that unless you know someone who moved in when it was all new.

The best bet might be to look at Electoral Registers, which will name people who were living at the relevant place on a particular date. Electoral Registers won't start until there's someone living there, so by a process of elimination you'll find the first one.

I was under the impression that electoral registers are not publicly available after 1931, a search on Ancestry turned up the 1939 register, and a search on find my past turned up the 1931 voters list.

Does anyone know for which years between 1931 & 1939 the voters lists are available and where they can be found?

Thanks

George

10 minutes ago, gjs1949 said:

I was under the impression that electoral registers are not publicly available after 1931, a search on Ancestry turned up the 1939 register, and a search on find my past turned up the 1931 voters list.

All electoral registers are held at the Nottinghamshire Archives (which I realise you may not be able to visit in person)  https://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/culture-leisure/archives

I know because I've done quite a bit of digging around in there.

• Like 1

You could search the archives here and see snippets but to read the article you have to buy credits or take out a subscription .

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/?ds_kid=43700028815541758&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjwycfkBRAFEiwAnLX5Idl9kRmplR28apQMNM0RQdM6vEPgHGulhLbvAdbLSFA0qEfNiIE7IhoC86oQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

Thanks George, for the confirmation..I also found the records stopped online other than 1939 register about 1931..1928 with some.

When I visited the online newspaper archive I found the majority can be found on Find My Past..small sample.. but i think there's about 10â„… new stuff there..first three views were free. Well worth the effort in my case.

Edit..first Three view's still appear to be free.

On 7/11/2016 at 4:34 PM, gjs1949 said:

Hi,

I found this site when searching for an address in Nottingham.

I have a scanned copy of a 1912 marriage certificate for George William Smitham & Jane Byron, the problem I'm having is I am unable to find the address the happy couple gave at the time, the marriage took place at St Pauls Church Nottingham and the address given is 7 Snow Hill for both parties.

Can any kind soul shed some light on the address.

Thanks & Regards

George J. Smith

George..you mention the marriage at St Paul's does your famaily have a Carlton Connection? 

5 hours ago, HSR said:

George..you mention the marriage at St Paul's does your famaily have a Carlton Connection? 

I think most of my forbears are from the parish of St Mary, the places they were living at the times of the various census were:

Commerce street, Trumpet street, Cherry place, Lennox street, Meynell street, Coldham street, Stanhope street, Victory Yard off Barker gate and offshoots in Freeth street, Grainger street(where my mother was born) and in Southwell.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

All electoral registers are held at the Nottinghamshire Archives (which I realise you may not be able to visit in person)  https://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/culture-leisure/archives

I know because I've done quite a bit of digging around in there.

Thanks

I suppose I will have to plan a trip to Nottingham to spend a day at the archives library, I will have to see if I can find one of those £19 a night Travelodge deals to avoid a long drive each way on the same day.

20 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

You could search the archives here and see snippets but to read the article you have to buy credits or take out a subscription .

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/?ds_kid=43700028815541758&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjwycfkBRAFEiwAnLX5Idl9kRmplR28apQMNM0RQdM6vEPgHGulhLbvAdbLSFA0qEfNiIE7IhoC86oQAvD_BwE

Thanks, 

I accessed the newspaper archives through Find My Past, however so far the only article I found was regarding concerns from Strelley residents over their children being moved to the John Player schools in Bilborough, and a proposal to build another school at Whitman(?).

I think a trip to the city archives to look at the electoral lists would be the best option, that will also give me the opportunity to tidy up my parents plot one last time.

• Upvote 1

I also had relatives on Cherry Place and Stanhope St. There's a brilliant picture of nearby Cherry St if I remember correctly taken from Nile Row. Great old pub..our ancestors might shared a pint there. Don't have my records to hand..think there's a picture of Meynall St also. 

On 3/21/2019 at 9:44 AM, gjs1949 said:

Thanks, 

I accessed the newspaper archives through Find My Past, however so far the only article I found was regarding concerns from Strelley residents over their children being moved to the John Player schools in Bilborough, and a proposal to build another school at Whitman(?).

I think a trip to the city archives to look at the electoral lists would be the best option, that will also give me the opportunity to tidy up my parents plot one last time.

Commendable that you want to tidy up your parents plot gjs. Don't the archives have a researcher? Golden opportunity for the council to put some pennies in the coffers.

On 3/21/2019 at 9:44 AM, gjs1949 said:

so far the only article I found was regarding concerns from Strelley residents over their children being moved to the John Player schools in Bilborough, and a proposal to build another school at Whitman(?).

Whitemoor ?

• 2 weeks later...