For the past two weeks or more we have had an asian person calling to say they have identified a problem with our computer now I'm not stupid enough to fall for that load of b*****ks , we do have the telephone preference service in place and a lot of help that is !!!!!! its getting just a tad annoying so what to do now ? any ideas.

Just nipped back in had a thought if I spoke broad nottingham would they hang up.

• Upvote 1

Ignore ALL calls, then do 1471, if unknowns then ignore them. If it's important, they'll leave a message.

Alternatively, Google it, and it'll most probably be a business.

Whenever I get a call from an unknown number I answer the call but don't say a word. If I hear lots of chattering at the other end then it's a dead giveaway that it's a call centre and I end the call. A lot of these calls are International and we have always had a lot of genuine International phone calls so we do need to answer and not ignore them. Often you can get the number that's calling you and like FLY says, google that number and you'll no doubt find that many other people are complaining about them. We too have the TPS but I feel it's a waste of time.

• Upvote 1

Say " Impossible, I don't own a computer", or get one of those air horns they use on small boats and give them a right earful with it...

• Upvote 1

I had one yesterday, I Googled it. It was from bleddy Carmarthenshire for goodness sake. I don't know anyone in Carmarthen.

I usually go up to my partner's house for dinner on a Friday evening. His culinary skills are far superior to mine and I like to have at least one decent meal a week. Just as we sat down to eat,there was invariably a phone call which would be somebody from the Indian subcontinent wanting to sell something or trying to engage me in a questionnaire. I got so fed up with it that one evening I told the caller that I had just murdered my husband in the kitchen because I was fed up with him and I was in the middle of cutting up the body so I didn't have time to speak to him right then but he could ring me back later if he liked!

When I returned to the dining table and my rapidly cooling meal, my partner asked who had been on the phone. So I told him what I'd said. He almost choked on his dinner and said we would probably get a visit from the police within a few minutes but of course we didn't!

• Upvote 5

If you have the time and the inclination, just keep them talking for as long as possible and be as stupid as possible. Keeps asking dumb questions and repeating yourself. Pretend to be thick and ask them to explain things again and again.

It keeps me amused for hours on a quiet day.

• Upvote 2

We get a LOT. If the number comes up 02 or 06 I just refuse the call by pressing the reject button on vodafonr station. On occasions Ive answered but I just listen and hang up.

If people insist on bothering me on a Friday evening at mealtimes when I've been at work all week , they merit all they get so far as I'm concerned. I know they're only doing their job but I do mine too and that entities me to be left alone to relax!

I absolutely hate cold calling and people trying to fool me into some scam:

'It's about the accident that you had'.

'I'm calling from Microsoft - there is a problem with your computer' etc. etc.

There's no use wondering how they've got your number because they just call randomly. And caller display is no longer effective because they can now show a legitimate number.

You might as well enjoy yourself. Use as many swear words as you like (I've got a friend of mine to tell me a few Indian insults).

Blow a whistle down the phone. Tell them to hold on a sec and then leave them hanging.

I've even looked into the possibility of forwarding their call to a £15 a minute high rate line so that they'll have a huge bill.

But, when all is said and done, they are a nuisance and the cause of much misery to old people and the vulnerable.

It's about time there was some dedicated unit looking into these unscrupulous scrotes.

• Upvote 1

If someone calls why you're eating, answer the phone and just say, "Hang on a minute in the middle of something important" put the phone down and keep the mongrels waiting.......

Yes barclaycon, you've reminded me about my Dad. He was really stressed out for a while because his phone would ring, he'd pick it up and there was no-one on the other end. I tried to explain to him that these calls are automated and lots of numbers are rung at the same time, most numbers are then abandoned, but they'll try again next day and then next day until they actually get to talk to someone. He was old, he really didn't understand and sadly it took him a long time to get to his phone to then find no-one on the other end.

I've been known to give callers a right old mouthful, much to my husband's disgust. When he takes these calls he's always polite to the caller ........ but he's not from Nottingham. You know what they say 'you can take a girl out of Arnold but you can't take Arnold out of the girl'

• Upvote 3

Yes Lizzie, but you swear so politely, that's the correct way. Fack orf ! As Joanna Lumley would say!

Along similar lines , a while back I received a caller to tell me of a charity event that was being given in aid of cancer research. The funds were being held by my oncologist. The caller knew my name and told me that the event was a concert and the tickets were €20 per head and would I like to book right now. Wanting to go and give my donation I told him that it wasnt convenient for me to book there and then as I would like some friends to go with me. He wouldnt accept this excuse so I rang off. Thinking about it later, yes he'd said Signora C and had the name of my oncologist but my oncologist doesnt know me by my married name. Every woman in Italy who marries keeps her maiden name. So I did a research online and found it was a very recent scam. I dont get caught up in telephone calls that try to sell but this one I was interested in, thank goodness I got out in time.

Freckles #1

I've had calls from asians calling themselves George/Harry/John. English names to show that they are genuinely english. Phone calls follow pattern if I'm in a good mood.

"Hello this is George/H/J is that Mr.P?"

"Yes George, what's the problem?"

"I am from Microsoft and ve can see that you have problems with your vindows"

" Oh! What do I need to do?'

"Are you at your computer, is it switched on?

"Yes all ok George"

"Press the 2nd key from the left on the bottom row" "Ok George pressed it" "No what did you press?" "2nd key as you said"

George now getting a little annoyed. "What does it say on the key?" "It says control" "No no no press the one with the vindows logo"

" What is a vindows logo? Why is Microsoft employing people who can't say Windows? I'm on a Mac I don't have vindows nor Windows so f*** off you scamming bas****.

At this stage my wife says that I will be reported saying things like that. Hardly likely to contact the police and tell them that while they were trying to scam me I gave them some verbal abuse and Sue Fish and her mob are too busy controlling that most heinous hate crime wolf whistling.

• Upvote 4

Someone (a foreign sounding guy) wanted 20 minutes of my time to ask questions about my domestic appliances........I just told them I couldn't talk to them as I was in the middle of shagging the window cleaner, very naughty thing to say, I know, but it worked, he rang off and has never phoned since............

• Upvote 4

Today I have received 3 calls from some foreign sounding b*****d telling me I have a problem with my computer ,Ive told them I passed away last week ! Im starting to get really pissed off,please excuse my language .

• Upvote 1

Probably an automatic random dialling system. I get them and I'm an ex Directory number.

Cliff ton has the best idea.... If you've got the time play game with them ... tell them anything, they eventually ring off.

• Upvote 1

I use BT's Call Guardian it is very good indeed .................

Not had one unsolicited call since having it.

You just need to be paying for "caller display" which is pennies and have one of their phones with it on.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/mobile-phones/1401522/bt-bt8500-review-the-best-call-blocker-phone-yet