Good afto from an exile, came upon this by accident so thought I'd 'ave a go, I'm a delegate from history, mid 60's to mid 70's vintage, the No.6 in woodthorpe park years, mostly hanging out in woodthorpe, sherwood, mapperley etc, lots of misty, dank evenings, sunburn in sherwood lido, abc minors, old railway embankments, the smell of home ales brewery, steamed up buses, proper goose fair, sweets in bags or hot from the sign of four, joe joe joe baker, army great coats and getting busted by the fuzz, not getting a snog, oz magazine, on yer bike to epperstone, Gedling miners welfare and the plainsman, jumpers for goalposts on the forest wasn't it...... marvellous!

• Upvote 10

Welcome Gregory . You sound like you should fit in fine on this message board .

I'm originally from Woodthorpe. Bit before your time though! I used to go on Woodthorpe Park nearly every evening in the summer but that was around 1959 - 60. My friends and I used to meet a group of (mainly) lads from Mapperley and a few from Sherwood. We used to take a Dansette player and records, sometimes jiving in the shelter that used to be near the swings. When someone got fed up with a certain record, they'd sometimes use it like a frisbee and send it down the hill. These were very special days for me..... I love that park

• Upvote 1

Hi Gregory Boulevard......... :hand:........any relation to Middleton, Radford & Lenton?............... kickme

• Upvote 5

And sunset.......welcome, look forward to hearing your posts...................

• Upvote 1

I'm originally from Woodthorpe. Bit before your time though! I used to go on Woodthorpe Park nearly every evening in the summer but that was around 1959 - 60. My friends and I used to meet a group of (mainly) lads from Mapperley and a few from Sherwood. We used to take a Dansette player and records, sometimes jiving in the shelter that used to be near the swings. When someone got fed up with a certain record, they'd sometimes use it like a frisbee and send it down the hill. These were very special days for me..... I love that park

When I come back to Nottm I always take myself for a few walks through the park, watch the squirrels running around and always finish with a walk through the botanical gardens, interesting to see some of the Australian indigenous plants and shrubs in there.

My old mum went there a lot and knew the gardeners well, she said it reminded her of her Australian trips to visit us and her grandkids.

Lots of happy memories of the park as a kid and teenager, winter sledging, springtime, chasing girls, exploring the old railway cuts and hidden paths etc. t.hen cut back home over the old brickyard and through the tunnel to Beckhill fields.

We may have met dowwn there MargieH !

• Upvote 1

I think you are probably younger than me, Banjo, if (19)48 refers to your birth year? If this is the case, then you would only have been 11 or 12 when I was 16 or 17! I remember a 12 year old girl who decided to join our group for a short time but can't remember any boys. But, as you say, we may have met at some point.

I used to love all the little paths in the gardens - when I was very young, I used to play hide and seek with my mum there..... also in the 'dell' on the other side of the park, where there used to be stone built tunnels, little paths and rockeries, which I used to climb up. Last time I visited there, the dell was very different and much less exciting. I suppose it had been opened up more because there might be undesirable lurkers there looking for children? Maybe I'm wrong...

There used to be a grass covered 'stage' near there with privet hedge 'wings' for actors' entrances and exits. I remember seeing a Shakespeare play being performed there when I was 4, but was frightened when one of the actors came and sat near us.

Your mum may well have met my mum because she was always chatting to the gardeners as well!

MargieH

My mums garden was amazing as the gardeners at the park used to give her heaps of plants and cuttings etc. and she had a very "green thumb".

She probably did cross paths with your mum sometime maybe.

In my early years in Oz I sent mum some Australian Jacaranda tree seeds in one of my letters (totally illegal but I didn't know any better then) and she succeeded in getting two small trees to survive for several years in her greenhouse, but sadly one really severe winter she lost them both.

• Upvote 1

Welcome Gregory!

I did one of my very first DJ spots at Gedling Miner's. We turned up for the disco but whoever they'd booked didn't. So we shot off and got our very rudimentary disco set up and 'filled in'. Mercifully, we had just bought a copy of 'Simon Says', which all the youngsters wanted playing on repeat... So we got away with it.That would be early 1968. I was 19. Were you there?

Was in the Plainsman regularly from when it opened, with a certain young lady who lived close by. Dun the dirty on me she did... :inthebin:

• Upvote 1