Gonks, Trolls and other "animals"

Was it the Joycies shop that became a trendy gift shop in the 60's .

I remember a shop in that vicinity that sold "Gonks" which were a craze at the time .

Oh my goodness, a memory blast for me there! I had a Gonk ....... carried it around everywhere with me in a 'tatty bag' which was a large straw bag. He used to go to the Bowling Alley every Sunday afternoon with me. My friends and I must have looked so silly but yes David, they were a short-lived craze for young teenage girls. Wonder what happened to my Gonk, it certainly wasn't in my parents house when I cleared it out the other year.

• Upvote 6

I remember gonks but never owned one. They didn't appeal to me. I've always collected teddy bears and still have them. I've even been known to liberate bears from children who weren't treating them properly! I'm unrepentant!

• Upvote 2

Well it's 50 + years ago when I last saw 'him' but from memory he was a bit like Humpty Dumpty, a fairly large roundish soft toy.

Couldn't have one of those. Jake would tear it to shreds. Most destructive dog I've ever owned.

Jill, I do know that my mate didn't look like the first pic on Katyjay's link, I reckon he was more like the New Zealand model.
Then there were those little rubbery trolls with big hair. Mine sat on my desk watching me taking my 'O' Level exams. Think they are still available.

• Upvote 2

Remember the trolls too. Ugly things with livid pink or green woolly hair. Didn't like them either.

My good luck exam mascot was a Rosebud teddy bear. Given to me when I was born, he's quite rare as not many were made. Rosebud were better known for dolls, which I also never liked.

Rosebud teddy accompanied me to exams all the way through school, all the way through University and afterwards. He still has a place of honour among my bear collection and considering that he is now as old as I am, is treated with very great respect.

• Upvote 2

Jill. You are right about Bailey. He is a gentle soul. Jake sometimes snarls at him if he dares to get in his way. I have never heard Bailey snarl back.

When walking I have been teaching him sit / heel commands. He picked it up on one walk. Sits and looks at you with those big eyes until you tell him to heel and start to move. Jake tries to get away with ignoring you. It is amazing the difference in temperament. He follows me around, likes to sit and watch me at work in the garden. Comes in when called. I'm hoping he will teach Jake some manners.

• Upvote 3

We have been thankful the two of 'em get on so well. Any snarling seems relatively good natured. Jake is not interested in dog toys except to tear them to shreds. Bailey is happy to chase a ball bring it back and drop it at your feet to throw again. Both now cry and get agitated if one is taken out and not the other.

• Upvote 1

Katyjay , those furry things don't look like the gonks I knew . I'm sure I bought one for a girlfriend at the time . As Lizzie says they were round printed material soft toys with short arms and legs ! .....something like this

http://modculture.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451cbb069e2012875dfa7ed970c-pi

My claim to fame: I was the 'Life Model' for the original Gonk........................Round bod' & short legs........... :jumping:

• Upvote 5