When our children were small, our response to any moan from them that whatever trip we planned would be 'boring' was to threaten to take them to the National Screwdriver Museum. Whilst this was, of course, fictitious, we did try to go to some eclectic museums.

One favourites included:

- the former National Lawnmower Museum at Trerice in Cornwall (now relocated).

- the Corkscrew Museum in Provence, France

- the Museum of Municipal Engineering in Kraków, Poland

and 'the one that got away' (closed for renovation when we were there) was:

- the Museum of Concrete in Turin, Italy

Anyone else stumbled across some niche museums?

• Upvote 1

There's the pencil museum in Keswick I believe. and years ago I seem to recollect a brick museum somewhere in Somerset.

• Upvote 1

There was a tiny museum at Alum Bay on the Isle of Wight that had loads of little jars with different coloured sand in them..zzzzzzzzz

A good one I visited a few years ago, was the Commercial Vehicle Museum at Leyland in Lancashire.

A great one for the bus and lorry fraternity, and well worth a day out.

• Upvote 1

A strange one on our doorstep in Heanor. Owned by an oddball son of my mate !

This lad is a walking encyclopedia of vacuum cleaners ! He can tell you everything about any vacuum cleaner just by hearing the motor, as I said a real oddball hellothere

http://www.mrvacuumcleaner.co.uk/

I bet that place sucks!

I'll get me coat...

• Upvote 1

Not far from here, in Southport, is the British Lawnmower Museum.

http://www.lawnmowerworld.co.uk/

Very 'cutting edge'.

I'll get me other coat....

• Upvote 1

There's a very interesting place in Liverpool, not far from the Anglican Cathedral, such that both can easily be 'done' in a day. It's known as 'Chambre Hardman's House.'

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/hardmans-house

Get the picture?

I'll get me brolly as well.....

• Upvote 1

There's the pencil museum in Keswick I believe. and years ago I seem to recollect a brick museum somewhere in Somerset.

There's also a place called 'Barometer World' close by in Devon.

Talk about high pressure environments!

I've run out of coats... I'll just go..

• Upvote 1

Put that telly on ! LOL

• Upvote 1

Interesting link to the hardman house museum DJ360 ......

We are having another girlie weekend in Liverpool and this would interest me......the girls want to do the Beatles house tour but as I was brought up on Booker Ave, next to the Mcartneys and a mile away from auntie Mimi, I think I will give it a miss !!!!!!!....I do enjoy the bohemian area of Liverpool and this museum would be one to view.

• Upvote 3

hippo girl. #14 It's interesting, and well worth the entrance fee. But note that you have to book in for a 'timed' tour, as they can only do a few people at a time.

Col

I was ejected from The Parsonage many years ago...£15.00 to look at " reputed" to have been Charlotte Brontes knick knacks.

The beading on the doors was done with a marker!!

After smudging it,the Derek Guyler lookalike turfed me on ' tut cobbles.

The Museum of Mechanical Music at Cotton in Suffolk is good. Musical boxes through the ages, all clearly explained by an excellent guide. They run the fairground organs and then there is a short recital on the Wurlitzer. At the end enthusiasts can play the Wurlitzer. A great Sunday afternoon after lunch at the pub!

• Upvote 1

Must admit I haven't been but this may appeal to some if in West Cornwall . The Moseley Museum of toys and model railways and includes 100 Meccano models apparently As it's in a working farm you can only go by appointment !

http://www.tumblydownfarm.co.uk/museum.html

Compo's museum of 20th century tat. Admission free - fuel to get here from Notts £100 :)

• Upvote 3

Went to the Vina Cook doll museum a couple of times,loads of lovely dolls and a few other toys,It's closed now as Vina sadly died.I think her husband sold the dolls at auction.I always thought the place seemed a bit spooky,as if the dolls could see you,but it wasn't scary just spooky.

• Upvote 1