Just bought a new bed, cost 1.5k, are there any mattress experts (no jokes) who can explain this;

Mattress/bed costing circa £400, mattress life = 8 years

Mattress/bed costing circa £1500, mattress life = 8 years

Discuss.............................

Simple. Mattress life depends on:

Type of construction

Quality of materials used

How heavy you are

Whether you turn it often enough to even out the wear

...and probably a few other factors.

Out of sight, out of mind; you probably change it when you are bored with the bed frame or when you move house or when it gets really uncomfortable or when a broken spring pokes you in the ribs. For most mattresses that's probably 20+ years

So, on the agenda of the annual meeting of the Society of Mattress Manufacturers: How do we get people to buy more mattresses? Answer: Pluck an arbitrary 'product lifespan' figure out of the sky that seems relatively long but well short of 20 years. 5 years? Hmm, too short, they'll never fall for that. OK, 10 years. Maybe, but it's a bit long. How about 8 then? Yeah, that sounds like we didn't just dream it up; tell 'em 8 years. Let's write the delivery date on as well, just to remind them to splash out again.

• Upvote 5

I fully expect the mattress we bought to 'see me out', as us cheerful people are prone to saying!!.............

• Upvote 3

Just got two memory foam mattresses delivered via Amazon for newly resurrected 2'6" bunk beds for imminent visits by 5 and 7 year old g.daughters.

Amazing that a mattress delivered , compressed in a box just 15" square x 3' long , can puff up into 7" thick x 6'6" once out the plastic bag .

p.s. our own mattresses must be over 25 years old ....can't see any reason to change them at the moment , we turn them , hoover and clean them a few times a year and they are still comfy enough for us .

• Upvote 1

Mattress manufacturers/suppliers recommend replacement every eight years? To use an old saying, ' well, they would say that wouldn't they '.

Most consumers are savvy. The question will be, is my mattress getting bloody uncomfortable or perhaps a bit whiffy? No! Right, I'll hang on to my cash, thank you.

#12, Bubblewrap, tried that once & got arrested, thank God I was alone...........................

• Upvote 1

# 15 and # 17

We had a new Super Kingsize bed a few years ago. The delivery men got the bed base upstairs OK as it was in two halves. The mattress was a struggle, 6 foot wide. It wasn't until I was fitting a valance onto the bed that I saw a tear on the underside of the mattress, most likely caused by getting it up the stairs and round a corner. A quick phone call to Hopewells brought a man round to inspect it. They suggested a repair job, we refused that offer and so they replaced the mattress. Worked well for me as I had found the original one too hard so got a replacement that was a bit softer. Result!

• Upvote 1

Ours is Superking ( 6ft x 6.5ft x 1ft deep) we have open plan stairs & had to take off all stair treads to get it upstairs, it has no bend at all.......................

We have a super King one too. It certainly took some energy getting it upstairs . We can never move house now as would never find a house with a big enough bedroom to take it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After receiving two complaints, one via text message and another via Facebook, I have removed (deleted) two posts from this thread.

It does'nt bear thinking about Cranky.............anyway i fought for custody of two mattresses...........lost both times,.....but retained visiting rights.........lol.

• Upvote 2