What a load of bowls

I love playing a game of Bowls, for those of you who don't know much about the game we play in league's comp's, tournament and many more. You have to have total concentration, but at the same time be cunning and ruthless. On the other hand you must also be a team player, also respect the opposition. On Friday we were playing in a cup/shield final our team had beaten lots of good teams to get to the final, it was going along nicely until the side audience (opposition) started yelling and shouting WELL DONE !! GOOD BOWL!! ECT also the opposite side when walking down the green were High Fiving, now call me a spoil sport if you like but nothing puts me more off than a load of hooligan's which is what I call them I even remarked that they would be at home as MP's. in the house of commons. They tell me that they are helping there team but myself I think this is not the way to behave on the green, we have some excellent players in the bowling leagues but there are two teams that are to me like hooligan's they are what we call POT HUNTER'S blow every one else. We will get there know matter what or how we do it.

There is suppose to be a thing called etiquette on the green maybe these two team have never read the rules.

It is no wonder that we can not get any new player's when you see how these teams carry on.

I hope one of their team is reading this, then maybe be can have a decent game of bowls.

I hope any members reading this and thinking of taking up bowl's please don't let it put you off.

Any comments from others bowlers are welcome.

• Upvote 8

I absolutely detest seeing people doing 'High Fives' for whatever reason. It's so unnecessary, and yet another totally useless habit we've had thrust upon us from America. The only high five I'd ever give anyone is a fist in the mouth!

Grrrr, I'm mad now, and it's only 8.30, and a Sunday morning too.

• Upvote 1

yes Phil quite agree.............all this 'man hugging'........and blokes of our age who clench their fiist and give it 'YES'............PILLOCKS !!

I've never played bowls in my life (although I've done 10-pin bowling).

But bowling figures in one of my earliest memories with my grandparents. They lived in Lenton and my grandad used to go bowling on Lenton Rec - the one situated between Derby Road and Church Street. Sometimes when we visited them during the day in school holidays, we'd go over to the Rec in the afternoon and watch my grandad and his colleagues doing their bowling. It consisted entirely of old men wearing white hats; somehow very genteel and quaint. And very relaxing to watch, even to me as an 8 year old.

Not a kissy and hug bloke either,Cliff reminded me of that bowling green in Lenton.A relation took us there several times...then onto those double swings on the nearby park-Bath st.park had them too.

When I frequented The Golden Ball,bowlers would come over for a pint.

As well as detesting High Fives, I'm also infuriated by youngsters who meet up, and touch chenched fists. Twerps.

• Upvote 2

Such hostility for people who are greeting friends in whatever is their accepted way! They're not asking you to join in!

I agree with Mary that a tradition of quiet polite and respectful competition is part of the attraction of Bowls and what she seems to be witnessing is the Bowling equivalent of football hooliganism. It's just selfish and oafish behaviour. I assume she's talking 'Flat Green' bowls. Round here it's all Crown Green.

That said, most of the youngsters in the Special School where I worked for several years would greet me in the corridors or on the yard with high fives. I took it as a complement that they were sufficiently relaxed with me to do that. Those kids had serious issues.

We've all been young and we've all had our own social 'codes'. We grow out of them, or something else becomes 'cool' and we adopt that. Then we grow up.

As I was leaving the 'Ambulatory Emergency Care' unit in the hospital the other night, after a false alarm on the Ticker front, I offered my hand to the young lady nurse who had looked after me so well for a few hours. She offered knuckles.. I found it quite endearing.

Col

• Upvote 3

Its only the 'Man hug' i'm not comfy with Col...............i suppose its a thing we never did,...........even when you scored a goal,...in fact blokes back then were never really touchy-feely with each other............but looking back wish I had been more with me old Dad...........

• Upvote 4

Right Benj. Next time I see you.... :):Friends:

• Upvote 1

One of my GPs, a lady doctor, after giving me some good news put her hand up & said, give me five, for a moment I thought she wanted a fiver !

Mrs Catfan was getting her purse out ready.

• Upvote 3

Hostility Col, no, I was just passing on my opinion (If that's still allowed) . There is a certain code of conduct and ethics that I have tried to adhere to all my life, and I'll stick to it. There is a time and place for everything and high fiving and knuckling is not in my repertoire.

If so called trendies want to do it. That's their choice.

• Upvote 1

Right Benj. Next time I see you.... :):Friends:

Col,.can we do it to the music of 'chariots of fire' in slow motion across Bulwell Market............lol

• Upvote 2

Or like the spoof stuff about Heathcliff and Kathy (Wuthering Heights) running in slow motion towards each other across the moor and never quite getting there

• Upvote 3

Hostility Col, no, I was just passing on my opinion (If that's still allowed) . There is a certain code of conduct and ethics that I have tried to adhere to all my life, and I'll stick to it. There is a time and place for everything and high fiving and knuckling is not in my repertoire.

If so called trendies want to do it. That's their choice.

Ok maybe the intention of #2 wasn't hostile, but I would avoid the Diplomatic Corps for a while..... :biggrin:

I hope you're not trying to tell me how to run my life Col, or are you?

• Upvote 1

No Fly, I was just passing on my opinion (If that's still allowed) :)

Just! Although some on here try to suppress it. LOL

Getting back to the OP,

An old boss of mine played bowls, he was about fortyish so he attracted a lot of stick from our lot at work, a young man playing a game only played by old fogies !

Bowls should only be played by senior citizens, these young upstarts ruin everything !

God forbid some of those Aspleh sort take up the game !

Never mind high fives, it would be the effing & blinding instead.

• Upvote 1

Early in my secondary school career, I recall playing flat green bowls on Bulwell Common. IIRC, the greens were somewhere between the kids swings etc., and the Golf House. I don't know if they're still there. Was with Nigel Marlow who's Dad had a grocer's shop on Andover Road. There may have been others there but I can't remember. I'm pretty certain it was 6d per game, or per hour or somesuch. Naturally, we were impeccably behaved.

This 'satelite' view seems to show something more like a Crown Green now. Anbybody know?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Bulwell+Forest+Golf+Club+Ltd/@53.0013284,-1.1809709,87m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4879c0343aff8c27:0x9146d055b1902446!8m2!3d53.0016006!4d-1.1809284

Col

• Upvote 1

Yes still there Col. and i too used to play bowls there as a school boy and behaved,.......except one time when i dropped a bowling ball on the head of Georgie Fitch......(accidently lol. ).......so many memories on that google shot.......playing Cricket for Padstow school and games of Tennis with old school pals, Tony Leatherland,Geoff Jenner,Malc Richards,John Hickman and Alan Milward.............

I hate bowls, it's for old men......

• Upvote 1

How verrry dare you! :glare:

• Upvote 1