What a load of bowls

Just went though this old topic please Blondie the ladies play excellent bowls, better that some men, and it is not an old mans game, have you never seen potters on television  plus we have an under 25 England  team. The 25s team is made up of young men and women. In winter most of us play inside eg  Alfreton, Norfolk, Northumberland, Durham and many more places. Then in summer we play out doors either flat green or crown green it's a game of skill and team work. So please don't knock it till you've tried it.

Any one interested in playing get along to your nearest green and have a go, most of the flat bowling green's open about 2nd/3rd week in April and the Crown green's are open most of the year.

Any one interested in playing casual or for a team at Heanor please get in touch,  No obligation Try it, you might just surprise your self.

• Upvote 2

Going to look into playing bowls when I have a bit more time on my hands,(love to watch it when it's on the telly) when I officially retire in October,plus a part time job of course

Rog  

• 4 weeks later...

Well our green has finally opened went up for a practise with master, going fine until another member with a new person come to join us, had a few practise ends then decided to play a real game, being two men and the new bowler a lady, the men came up with the idea of men against women. Well each time my bowl was near or on the jack red mist came over master's eye's and he had to have a go at shifting or (in English) moving my bowl, but it's not over yet!!!  to quote a phase this ladies not for turning. Goodness knows what the new lady thought. Although she did say that she had not had so much fun in age's. Hope she joins our team. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

Well another year!! another Bowling season.!!

This week is when most of the outdoor green's open. You have your bowls polished to a very high shine, white's and greys washed and ironed; new bowling shoes (as last season the others had let wet in ) Fixture list, competitions you have put your name down for  names and phone number of other members. You are rearing  to go, Then you meet new players/team members.

Bowls is a game for gentlefolk you say?   

The game of Bowls is not easy, but not impossible you meet lots of people, when playing you must be vigilant, Polite, be able to follow rules, Watch for cheats (yes some do)  remember which side of your bowl  the bias is on  (the other team get very upset when you send the bowl  with wrong   bias on   and it ends up on there side of the green) but taking all into consideration if you are interested in playing GET yourself down to your nearest green, any bowling club will make you welcome, let you have a go to see how you get on and if it's the game for you,  I have been playing now for about 10 years trouble is i still don't get much better but i enjoy the game and like meeting new people. So Why Don't You Give it a TRY? You might surprise yourself.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Cheers Rog