Later in the month saw the first visit by the revived D'Oyly Carte Opera Company. Although still the same organisation - and still without any public subsidy - it was on a very different basis, with only two operas being performed in the week instead of five or six. Also, with a frequently changing stable of singers (with just a very few who had been with the 'old' company).

Houses were a bit better than three quarters full.

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have posted in the past how greasepaint runs in the blood of my sister and me - we both donned brown-paper rat's-head masks and scuttled on to the stage at Crane school following the Pied Piper of H

Cor Chulla, seeing those Parkie packets just makes me fancy a puff. I can almost see myself sitting on the top deck of the "Red Bus" bouncing along Colwick Rd, 7.30am on my way to work. The air would

I hadn't intended to include this with it not being a Notts theatre, but as it's coincidental with the recent death of Brian Rix here it is. My next theatre trip happened to be to see one of his farce

More opera, with Opera North's extended visit in June 1988.

I gave the Janacek piece a miss and also 'Tosca' because it was given in Italian, but enjoyed the other two. Theatre was practically full for both.

One of Opera North's book-style programmes - certainly plenty to read in the intervals!

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Musical theatre of a very different kind came the following month with the early 1950s musical that sadly nowadays seems to have dropped out of sight.  Although with no stars in the cast it deserved a larger audience than the quarter full house on the night I was there, with my Balcony ticket securing admittance to the Dress Circle. 

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed it, with two catchy songs including:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WwWGu-5J20

You can keep your Janacek!

• Upvote 1

For some reason I missed the first of the four plays in the usual summer rep' season but that left 'Scales of Justice'  by Peter Saunders, 'Murder on the Nile', which apparently was Agatha Christie's own adaptation for the stage of 'Death on the Nile' (minus Poirot) and 'Dial M For Murder' - always worth seeing.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_04.jpg

Followed on by another thriller. I remember next to nothing about it. Not too bad a house - between a third and half full, with perhaps Richard Todd being a draw. As usual my Balcony ticket got me into the Upper Circle.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_04.jpg

Back to musical theatre again in October 1988 with some Ivor Novello whose works, as with 'Salad Days', seem now to have sadly dropped out of sight.

Admittedly with no stars in the cast (no John Hanson any more) few enough turned out to this show on the night I was there - only about a quarter full, so as usual it was the Upper Circle for me.

Several hit songs in the show - 'We'll Gather Lilacs' probably being the biggest, although interpolated from 'Perchance to Dream', plus 'Some Day My Heart Will Awake' and 'Take Your Girl'. Also interpolated was 'Glamorous Night'.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_04.jpg

• Upvote 1

John Hanson! A great favourite of mine. I saw him in 'Desert Song' of course, and do I misremember seeing him in a production of 'The Student Prince' at some time, or is this wishful thinking?  I wonder.

If only I'd thought to save programmes like some other clever person.

The musical theme for 1988 continued with 'La Boheme' from Opera North and finished with another Arts Council-subsidised company in December with New Sadler's Wells Opera giving performances of 'The Gondoliers' and Offenbach's 'La Belle Helene'.

Surprisingly I remember nothing of the former despite former D'Oyly Carte' stalwart John Ayldon in an unfamiliar role. Theatre was under three quarters full.

I can remember some of the music from the Offenbach, and disappointingly the theatre was only about half full.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

In the early 1970s. Su Pollard and my older sister, Julie, were sharing a flat in West Bridgford. Both were working in secretarial jobs in Nottingham and heavily involved with what was then the Cooperative Arts Theatre.

Around the end of 1973, Su auditioned in London for John Hanson 's The Desert Song and was offered a part in the chorus. As she had been singing in pubs and clubs, she'd managed to acquire the coveted Equity card, so off she went. My sister is still in touch with Su but I don't think she has ever achieved her full potential. Like so many, she became typecast as Peggy, the potty chalet maid. There is so much more to Su than that. Those who saw her performances at the Arts Theatre know what a brilliant serious actress she is. Sadly, a side she never had a chance to show the wider public.

• Upvote 2

I always believed Jill that Su being typecast as that "Dippy" Peggy in the TV series actually did her career more harm than good. I've heard her on local radio many times & thought  leave "Peggy" behind & be yourself for once. Don't talk & sound so stupid in real life when she didn't need to .The public never really got to see her full potential.

• Upvote 2

Into 1989 and a classic by Emlyn Williams - although as usual I can remember nothing of it.

Only some minor TV names in the cast, perhaps leading to a desperately poor turn out of less than a one fifth full theatre. My Balcony ticket getting me in the Dress Circle.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_04.jpg

In February a Shaw comedy, which I think was a little less wordy than some of his others.  This is the play on which the musical 'The Chocolate Soldier' was based.

No 'names' in the cast, but just under one third full, with my Balcony ticket as usual meaning the Upper Circle.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

At the end of the month was the Noel Coward classic. Something else that's gone from the memory despite the presence of Peggy Mount.  Good old Gerald Flood back again with some other TV names, but the theatre was no more than a third full.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_04.jpg

April 1989 saw the visit of Opera North and 'The Marriage of Figaro' for me (theatre almost full) but I gave 'Manon' a miss as it was done in French.

The next month there was a classic play about which I can remember nothing. Theatre was a respectable half full:

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

Opera North were back again at the beginning of June when I saw 'The Marriage of Figaro' and Mussorgsky's ' Boris Godunov'. What I remember of the latter was the outstanding singing of John Tomlinson (now Sir John) in the title role.

This was followed by the new D'Oyly Carte company with two old favourites. Encouragingly, for 'The Mikado' the theatre was nearly full, and for 'Pirates' it was better than three quarters.

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

For some reason I only saw two out of the usual four plays in the summer season of thrillers.

I do remember 'The Ghost Train' because they rather sent it up, playing for laughs. While it was enjoyable I thought it was rather a shame the play wasn't seen as able to stand on its own merits as a thriller.

Untitled_Scanned_04.jpg

For both plays the theatre was about one quarter full.

Untitled_Scanned_05.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_06.jpg

Later in September 1989 was another thriller. As usual, I can remember nothing about it, but I'm surprised to note the theatre was not far short of full, so for once I had to sit in the seat I'd paid for.

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_04.jpg

Back cover:

Untitled_Scanned_05.jpg