• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have posted in the past how greasepaint runs in the blood of my sister and me - we both donned brown-paper rat's-head masks and scuttled on to the stage at Crane school following the Pied Piper of H

Cor Chulla, seeing those Parkie packets just makes me fancy a puff. I can almost see myself sitting on the top deck of the "Red Bus" bouncing along Colwick Rd, 7.30am on my way to work. The air would

I hadn't intended to include this with it not being a Notts theatre, but as it's coincidental with the recent death of Brian Rix here it is. My next theatre trip happened to be to see one of his farce

May 1990, and Opera North's visit saw 'Don Pasquale' by Donizetti and a double bill of 'L'Heure Espagnole' by Ravel and Puccini's 'Gianni Schicchi'.

Then it was D'Oyly Carte time at the end of the month with three visits for me - 'The Mikado', and new productions of 'The Pirates of Penzance' and a double bill of 'H.M.S Pinafore' and 'Trial by Jury'.

Encouraging attendances, with not far short of a full house for 'Pinafore/Trial'.

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

#252. Looking at the back cover of the theatre programme, I see there's an advert for Mc Donald's.  How long have they been around in this country?

There was the usual summer season of thrillers, but I only saw two of them in 1990. I remember 'Dangerous Corner' as a very good play but can't recall much of the plot:

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

A just under half full theatre for this Francis Durbridge thriller:

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

Back covers:

Untitled_Scanned_04.jpg

Opera North together with the RSC presented 'Show Boat', which was marvellous stuff.. Theatre was between three quarters and 100% full so I had to sit in my Balcony seat.

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

A local restaurant cashed in:

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

Opera North in their own right were than back again later in October. I settled just for seeing 'La Traviata' (theatre all but full) even though it was in Italian.

Later in February it was Opera North which meant just 'Cosi Fan Tutt'e for me - an almost full theatre.

Then in April it was another of those plays I can remember nothing about:

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Theatre was about three quarters full so I had to sit in the seat I'd paid for.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

April 1991 and a play which I DO remember something of. It was very well done with minimal scenery, and of course a cast of two (plus the ghost!) would be popular with touring managements.  The most effective moment was the rocking chair going by itself.

Theatre was nearly two thirds full.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

At the end of May I saw Opera North's production of 'Faust' by Gounod - theatre not quite full. For some reason I didn't see 'Carmen' - can only think it was given in French.

More opera came the following month with two new productions by D'Oyly Carte - 'Iolanthe' and 'The Gondoliers', the latter being rather controversial, not say eccentric. I also found it didn't lend itself to repeated viewing - servce it right the theatre was no more than three quarters full. 'Iolanthe' did better.

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

I go to a small local theatre which is 5 minutes from my house, they have been there since 1943. They put on 10 plays each year always a good variety,  for a long time there seemed to be the same people for most performances.  Two new housing  estates have been built opposite the theatre and there is now a lot bigger audience both young and old.    It is called The Little Theatre and was started in 1920s by the sisters of a local family.   I still visit the Theatre Royal but at the prices they charge very selective in my visits.

September 1991 and the play about Mozart.

One or two notable names in the cast, including Helen Baxendale before she was famous - 'Helen has just completed a three year acting course at the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School'.

And who else remembers Terence Longdon as Garry Halliday?

I remember being impressed by the piano playing of Richard McCabe as the composer.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

Opera North's autumn visit produced 'L'Etoile', a fairly obscure comic opera by Chabrier and 'Don Giovanni'.  Theatre was nearly full for the latter but only about two thirds so for the less well-known piece.

The next week was this play about C. S. Lewis, now forgotten by me. Theatre was only about one quarter full but for some reason I had to sit in the Balcony seat I'd paid for.

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

Opera North later in May produced Rossini's 'The Thieving Magpie'. You can't go wrong with Rossini.

Musical theatre of a different kind then came with a three-week run of '42nd Street' - the stage adaptation of the 1930s film with musical numbers interpolated from other films involving Warren & Dubin.

Marvellous stuff. I normally couldn't stand Bonnie Langford but I had to admit: 'That kid sure can dance!'.

Theatre was not far short of being full.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

In September, a play from Edwardian times. As usual, can't remember anything about it. Theatre was only about one fifth full, perhaps due to the presence of no bigger star names than Tenniel Evans, Frank Middlemass and Ron Pember.

Untitled_Scanned_05.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_06.jpg