• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have posted in the past how greasepaint runs in the blood of my sister and me - we both donned brown-paper rat's-head masks and scuttled on to the stage at Crane school following the Pied Piper of H

Cor Chulla, seeing those Parkie packets just makes me fancy a puff. I can almost see myself sitting on the top deck of the "Red Bus" bouncing along Colwick Rd, 7.30am on my way to work. The air would

I hadn't intended to include this with it not being a Notts theatre, but as it's coincidental with the recent death of Brian Rix here it is. My next theatre trip happened to be to see one of his farce

1982 saw the first appearance of a venture that was to take place every summer for many years (for all I know it's still going). This was the presentation of three or four plays in a season of a few weeks - usually popular thrillers or comedies - presented by companies of actors who, while no-one may have heard of them before or since, were all perfectly competent. The interest, as no doubt with all plays in repertory was in seeing the different actors in a variety of roles. The admission prices were also a lot less than for plays with 'names' in them!

This first year the company was billed as 'The Royal Repertory Players', and as well as this Agatha Christie I also saw an adaptation of Rebecca.

Untitled-Scanned-01_zpsumtdfmud.jpg

I know Merthyr Imp doesn't share my taste in music - but no matter! Did he see the provincial touring version of "Beyond the Fringe"? (I think at the Theatre Royal)

12 hours ago, LongJohn said:

I know Merthyr Imp doesn't share my taste in music - but no matter! Did he see the provincial touring version of "Beyond the Fringe"? (I think at the Theatre Royal)

I don't remember that - when it was it on?  If it was pre-1970 or post the mid-1990s I wouldn't have done.

A week later saw Leonard Rossiter at the height of his fame. From what little I remember the play was not quite the comedy that probably many of the audience expected given Rossiter's presence in the cast.

Untitled-Scanned-11_zpsb8gimq9e.jpg

The Royal Shakespeare Company presented 'Educating Rita', and one memory I have is of the huge laugh it produced when Tom Baker's character said to Rita 'I'm not educating a Dalek!'

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpsly5orqde.jpg

Only £1.40 for a pizza:

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpsvftsxnjq.jpg

After the RSC it was the turn of the National Theatre a while later. A notable cast including Nigel Havers and Martin Jarvis as the two male leads, Zoe Wanamaker, Anna Massey (Miss Prism) and Judi Dench as Lady Bracknell.

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpsm42w2zau.jpg

Rehearsal photos;

Untitled-Scanned-03_zps6sagae20.jpg

Opera North were back at the end of October 1982.

I saw Borodin's 'Prince Igor' and will always remember how it really came alive with the Polovtsian Dances.

Also, 'The Marriage of Figaro', with Lesley Garrett in the cast.

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpsgvdgyqcv.jpg

Arguably the biggest star I ever saw at the Theatre Royal was Peter O'Toole.  All I remember is that he seemed half-drunk, but that was no doubt his interpretation of the part he was playing. Don't remember much of the play itself other than, as usual with Shaw, it was mostly people just sitting or standing around talking.

Also of interest in the cast were Robert Beatty who always seemed to be in those old Ealing war films, and Joyce Carey who was part of the comic relief in Brief Encounter.

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpsxokgvbgu.jpg

Your theatre progs. are always interesting MI.............and always jog my memory of so many old actors that visited our fair city........thank-you......

The following week was a play, which if I remember right was billed as being on a 'prior to West End' tour.  It featured Raymond Burr of all people, plus some other well-known names, including Gerald Flood who I'll always associate with the Sunday tea-time TV serial 'Pathfinders in Space' and its sequels. Like Barbara Murray, he seemed to be a regular in touring plays in the 1980s. 

I can't remember much of the play except that it was all rather preposterous, and I'm not sure that it ever reached London - or if it did, was not a success.

Untitled-Scanned-01_zpsi3cc5wtn.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpsqgub5bi1.jpg

Into June 1983, and a production of The Mikado, and while the comedy of the piece was brought ought OK, the minimal chorus and an updated arrangement of the music - including noises like sawing wood - did not help my enjoyment of it.

Notable in the cast were Nicholas Smith of 'Are You Being Served' fame in the title role, and Jimmy Thompson who I'd last seen in 'Saint Joan' as mentioned early on in this thread.

Untitled-Scanned-04_zpsa271ulil.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-05_zpsvh6jtm5d.jpg

There was a summer thriller season again for three weeks in August/September 1983 - two Agatha Christies and the thriller 'Wait Until Dark' about the blind girl who turns the tables on those who would terrorise her (Audrey Hepburn in the film). 

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpsoj1dawk2.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-04_zpsfatr5rex.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-05_zpscbqn8jfp.jpg

The next month saw the visit of the National Theatre in a play which was to have featured Sir Ralph Richardson, but sadly he had recently been taken ill, and in fact had died at the beginning of that week. Robert Stephens moved up into his part and John Bennett was brought in in his place in turn. I can remember the two of them in it but not what the play was about.

Untitled-Scanned-02_zps0j1uwq0v.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-03_zps3impsutt.jpg

Opera North were back at the beginning of November 1983 for their third visit of the year.

I only went to see Die Fledermaus which included Bill Maynard in the non-singing part of the jailer, Frosch ('...anything fresh, Frosch?').

Despite it being one of my favourites I can remember nothing of the production.

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpse5humrjj.jpg