• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have posted in the past how greasepaint runs in the blood of my sister and me - we both donned brown-paper rat's-head masks and scuttled on to the stage at Crane school following the Pied Piper of H

Cor Chulla, seeing those Parkie packets just makes me fancy a puff. I can almost see myself sitting on the top deck of the "Red Bus" bouncing along Colwick Rd, 7.30am on my way to work. The air would

I hadn't intended to include this with it not being a Notts theatre, but as it's coincidental with the recent death of Brian Rix here it is. My next theatre trip happened to be to see one of his farce

In the same month two Gilbert & Sullivan operas were presented by what in some quarters was represented as being by a revived D'Oyly Carte Opera Company which had 'suspended performances' over three years before. It wasn't of course, despite all the cast being former members of that company, the use of scenery and some of the costumes (as explained in the programme) and being based around the old D'Oyly Carte productions.

D'Oyly Carte aficionados were interested to see one of their old favourites, Kenneth Sandford, in the roles of the Sergeant of Police in 'The Pirates of Penzance' and Captain Corcoran in 'H. M. S. Pinafore' - roles which he had not been accustomed to play in the old days - but others (i.e. me) thought it a shame we were only able to see Lorraine Daniels in minor roles.

Untitled-Scanned-01_zps2y9ls5t5.jpg

First in 1986 for me was this play about which I remember nothing. Despite the presence of one or two names from TV the theatre was no more than a quarter full and I was in the Upper Circle with my Balcony ticket.

Untitled-Scanned-01_zpsjfbktxbk.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpsjqu1kjtl.jpg

In August it was the usual summer repertory season of thrillers - two Agatha Christies and one Francis Durbridge.

I think all seats must have been the same price as I was in the Dress Circle each time. Theatre was between a third and a half full each time (as far as I could see!).

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpsf84od7tt.jpg

The end of August 1986 saw this comedy which I can remember a little bit of, but despite the presence of several TV names the theatre was only about one third full and as usual my Balcony ticket got me into the Upper Circle.

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpsy5pqp3oe.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-06_zpsrgrnaarj.jpg

A slightly sexist advert top right:

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpszp6nulcx.jpg

September 1986 and a play about which I can remember nothing. Must have been one of the least popular performances I ever went to, as I have it down as a lot less than a quarter full. My Balcony ticket got me into the Dress Circle.

Untitled-Scanned-01_zpsuhm53khf.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpsqzusiuel.jpg

The following month was this farce. As will have become clear, a good many of the plays I saw back in the 1970s and 1980s have completely gone from my memory, but I can't believe I'd forgotten seeing Les Dawson - and Eric Sykes again for that matter. Although now I come to think of it I don't think Eric Sykes had a very big part.

Theatre was nearly full.

Untitled-Scanned-02_zps3eutuzii.jpg

The end of October saw something lighter opera-wise, with The Magic of D'Oyly Carte back for a second visit, this time with 'The Mikado' alongside 'The Pirates of Penzance'. So at least Lorraine Daniels had a little more to do in one of them.  

'Pirates' on the Saturday was almost full, while 'Mikado' was three-quarters plus.

Untitled-Scanned-01_zpsmorvnchh.jpg

February 1987 and a play which I DO remember.  This was a very entertaining and affectionate parody of girls' school stories. Although not having read any such myself I was familiar enough with the boys' equivalent.

It was presented as being the school play taking place in the theatre and instead of the usual usherettes, senior pupils of the school welcomed people to their seats.

None of the large cast (all but two of which were female) were 'names'. but it was none the worse for that.

Theatre was about half full, and as usual I was in the Upper Circle with my Balcony ticket.

The days of the standard programme cover in green were now over.

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpszuykp0b5.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpsqxgxbee0.jpg

For Opera North's visit in May/June 1987 (for a week and a half) the usual programme wasn't provided and you had to get a glossy booklet which covered the whole of their summer season in various places.

I saw three of the four offerings:

Mozart's 'Seraglio' (90% full) and the two classic weepies: 'La Boheme' (almost full), and 'La Traviata' (nearly full).

Of interest as Musetta in 'Boheme' was the soprano Anna Steiger, the daughter of Rod Steiger and Claire Bloom. Unfortunately in build it was evident she took more after her father than her mother.

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpsov09z1wf.jpg

OK, continuing with images from imgbb:

June 1987 was this comedy-thriller about which I can remember nothing. It didn't attract many people as I estimated the theatre as only a quarter full, my Balcony ticket getting me into the Stalls.

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

In July 1987 was this play about the abdication crisis. Constance Cummings was Queen Mary, but just about the only thing I remember of it was the buzz from the audience when the popular Duchess of York (later the Queen Mother of course) made her entrance.

Not so many there - no more than a third full - and I was in the Upper Circle with my Balcony ticket.

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_04.jpg

The summer repertory season saw four thrillers/mysteries:

'Towards Zero' by Agatha Christie & Gerald Verner - a Superintendent Battle story.

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

'Murder Mistake' by Janet Green. I remember this one, which was a good story about a con-man who marries a series of three assorted woman for their money and murders them, presenting himself as a different personality with a different variation on his Christian name each time (i.e. Edward, Teddy and Ted).

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

'House Guest by Francis Durbridge

'Alibi' by Agatha Christie - an adaptation of 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd' with Poirot.

All seats were the same price, so I went in the Dress Circle. Houses were all about one third full or a bit better.

Another thriller in September 1987 - by Francis Durbridge. As usual I remember nothing of it. Not many there - only about a quarter full and it was the usual Balcony for Upper Circle for me.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

Presumably the licensee of The Stage Door was THE Larry Lloyd rather than A Larry Lloyd otherwise there would have been no point in mentioning it:

Untitled_Scanned_04.jpg

Just tried to get tickets to see "The Play That Went Wrong" which is on at the Theatre Royal, and it is fully booked for each performance.

Never Mind will see it next  time around

I really would like to go to the theatre more often but have no idea what kind of thing I'd like. I've considered going to the live screenings at the Showcase of shows like Swan Lake and other ballets when performed in theatres in London. Has anyone ever been to one/are they any good?

2 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Just tried to get tickets to see "The Play That Went Wrong" which is on at the Theatre Royal, and it is fully booked for each performance.

Never Mind will see it next  time around

Just seen that tonight. It was brilliant! Make sure you do see it whenever you can.

1 hour ago, MelissaJKelly said:

I really would like to go to the theatre more often but have no idea what kind of thing I'd like. I've considered going to the live screenings at the Showcase of shows like Swan Lake and other ballets when performed in theatres in London. Has anyone ever been to one/are they any good?

A friend of mine is an actor.  He's been on the telly in various things as well as acting in assorted plays and doing a lot of 'Talking Book' stuff with the late Brian Jacques.  I tend to go to whatever he is in.. and whatever he goes to see.  He's quite a good judge.

But I should go to far more.  I'm just lazy.

What I find is that watching Kev play to an audience of ten in some obscure provincial theatre, or watching a much bigger show in Liverpool or Manchester.. I'm always swept up by the sense of occasion and thoroughly enjoy the event and the spectacle.  Given decent acting.. a small stage and a single actor can keep you enthralled.  Surely that is what it's about?  It's entertainment and distraction... maybe also thought provoking.  Obviously there will always be things we like more than others, and we are entitled to be critical, but if we get too 'precious' about it.. we can miss the point.

I've never seen a ballet Melissa, though my late Mum loved them.  I really must do that.  These are the things that take life above the ordinary, and are what we work to afford.

I'd just 'go for it' Melissa.

Col

• Upvote 1

The end of October 1987 saw Opera North's visit, but with a glossy booklet rather than a normal programme I'll skip an illustration of it. I only went to see 'The Marriage of Figaro' (a full house).

More opera came at the beginning of December with New Sadler's Wells Opera, a company that was more or less filling the void left by the demise for the moment of D'Oyly Carte.  The production was 'H. M. S. Pinafore', with Nickolas Grace in the cast. I'm surprised to realise I can remember nothing of it.

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

• 2 weeks later...