My last school trip was to the Playhouse in March or April 1966 to see Shaw's 'Saint Joan' as we were doing it for O Level. 

Untitled-Scanned-04_zpsehhcnkrr.jpg

In the title role was the 31-year-old Judi Dench, and although I'm not sure any of us knew of her we did know Jimmy Thompson who played the part of the Dauphin and was well known for starring with Pinky & Perky on TV.

Untitled-Scanned-05_zpsl1ygebub.jpg

A few other names that stand out in the cast are John Shrapnel, Ronald Hines (maybe best known for later being in 'Not in Front of the Children' on TV) and Harold innocent.

Untitled-Scanned-06_zpsfizyqphb.jpg

I remember that Thursdays used to be early closing day in Nottingham, but it's interesting to note that Pearson's were closed all day.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have posted in the past how greasepaint runs in the blood of my sister and me - we both donned brown-paper rat's-head masks and scuttled on to the stage at Crane school following the Pied Piper of H

Cor Chulla, seeing those Parkie packets just makes me fancy a puff. I can almost see myself sitting on the top deck of the "Red Bus" bouncing along Colwick Rd, 7.30am on my way to work. The air would

I hadn't intended to include this with it not being a Notts theatre, but as it's coincidental with the recent death of Brian Rix here it is. My next theatre trip happened to be to see one of his farce

I hadn't intended to include this with it not being a Notts theatre, but as it's coincidental with the recent death of Brian Rix here it is. My next theatre trip happened to be to see one of his farces while on holiday in London - 21 July 1967. This was at the Garrick Theatre at the end of Charing Cross Road, just up from Trafalgar Square. I still have the ticket stub, and it cost 15 shillings for a seat in the stalls.

Untitled-Scanned-01_zpsr9ke38jr.jpg

We saw 'Let Sleeping Wives Lie', and I  must say I can recall a lot more of this production than I can about 'Saint Joan' seen just a year before! None of the details of the plot though, just that it involved trying to keep some sort of secret from an American businessman.  Some notable names in the cast, not least Andrew Sachs long before he became famous on TV, plus early 1950s British film star Derek Farr, Bill Treacher, later of EastEnders and Leo Franklyn - a Brian Rix regular - who was the father of William Franklyn.

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpsxgxwlazp.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpssznadxdv.jpg

• Upvote 3

Untitled-Scanned-01_zps696n0pqx.jpg

Looking back it seems to have been a long time before my next theatre trip but it was only three years later, and it was when my theatre-going seemed to really begin.

I wasn't sure whether Gilbert & Sullivan might be considered a little uninteresting and highbrow on this Forum, but in view of certain recent posts some may think it rather lowbrow!

Anyway, I've always enjoyed the catchy tunes and humour, and can remember the days when Uncle Mac used to play 'A Policeman's Lot' and G & S would even turn up on such programmes as 'Family Favourites'. I thought about going when D'Oyly Carte visited the Theatre Royal in 1968 but didn't, however I took the plunge two years later when their next visit coincided with the first Nottingham Festival. I was completely hooked, partly with the whole theatrical experience and went to more performances than originally intended.

Presented in repertory over the fortnight beginning 13th July 1970 were:

Iolanthe

The Yeomen of the Guard

The Mikado

Trial by Jury & HMS Pinafore (double bill)

Patience

The Gondoliers

Cox & Box and The Pirates of Penzance (double bill)

I'm not sure whether any of the performers' names will be known - there were no stars as such, and the principal artistes were listed in alphabetical order (although with the gentlemen taking precedence over the ladies!) followed by the small-part players.

I say there were no stars, but one or two of the names may be known, e.g. John Reed who played the principal comedy parts and as far as I'm concerned had more talent in his little finger than many much better known TV stars then or since.

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpswn3bte1f.jpg

I booked seats for some performances in advance but mostly went in the Gallery (the 'Gods') where at that time you just paid as you went in at the entrance round the side towards where the Empire used to be. There was usually a queue before the doors opened half an hour before curtain up, and after handing over your 4/- at the pay box it was a mad scramble up the stone steps to get a good seat. I well remember my first experience of the Gods, being almost scared to move for fear of falling over the edge - standing up for the National Anthem (which was played prior to the performance in those days) was the worst part.  But as I've written elsewhere, after going a few times and finding I still hadn't fallen over the edge I began to realise I wasn't going to and the height ceased to bother me.  However, I much preferred to be on the front row as sitting elsewhere made my back ache with nothing to lean against - at least on the front row there was the option of leaning forward.

This is the only picture I've seen showing the old Gallery:

Gods_zpsxdye5s0u.jpg

Finally, here's a page advertising some of the restaurants of those days:

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpsqaprdx2f.jpg

• Upvote 1

That photo of the 'Gods' brings back memories! I've been up there many times as a child. The first ever visit was to see The Nutcracker performed by Sadlers Wells one Christmas. It was magical and I've never forgotten it. I, too, was a bit perturbed about the long drop over the edge but once the house lights were down, you forgot about it!

Who remembers the Cafe Duet on Broad Street? It was a stone's throw from the Cooperative Arts Theatre and usually full of amateur thespians and ballet students.

It had a vast array of old pewter pots hanging from it's blackened beams and a stable type door behind which was the kitchen.

I believe the entire building collapsed some time during the late 70s/early 80s and the site was cleared. There was a Chinese shop next door and Mr Moran, the baker, further along next to the Lord Roberts pub.

Went to the Moulin Rouge.  1963.   First time I'd ever taken a girl to anything fancier than a chip shop.  Can't remember if the food was that great.  I was more worried about picking up the right knife and fork.  :-)

Following that fortnight at the Theatre Royal I became something of a D'Oyly Carte 'groupie', in the next year or so travelling to see performances at places such as London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester and even Oxford. 

Back in Nottingham, in the company's absence during 1971 I had to settle for other productions, including the first of the West Bridgford Operatic Society's annual productions I went to. Nottingham Operatic, of course, performed at least once a year at the Theatre Royal, but in my time (1970s/80s) they never did anything by Gilbert & Sullivan. The West Bridgford society did nothing else at that time, performing at the Co-Operative Arts Theatre on George Street, where I went in April 1971.

Untitled-Scanned-02_zps1khsgyiq.jpg

They followed the D'Oyly Carte line in presenting 'Cox & Box' (words actually by F. C. Burnand rather than W. S. Gilbert) as a curtain-raiser to 'The Pirates of Penzance'.

Here's a page of adverts - I remember it was James millinery shop where I had to get my ticket from.

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpshtswd3fz.jpg

• Upvote 1

James Bride,the shop that is now /and always has been on Pelham st.

Clarice & Peter chew ran this shop for yonks.

If I recall they and previous relations were involved in marriage/millenary wear dating back to the 1860's.

I perhaps should have mentioned that Clarice and Peter Chew were both performers with the Society, Peter taking the part of Cox on this occasion. He is also listed as being a member of the Society's committee. Clarice was amongst the ladies of the chorus for 'Pirates'.

So pleased to become new member of the Forum and amongst other experiences tap into people's memories over the years of the wonderful Nottingham Playhouse and other theatres in the area left, upon marriage, in 1957.  As a child I was first taken to the Empire where George Formby played the ukelele.  At the age of twelve it was to the Theatre Royal to see Julie Andrews in the pantomime Little Red Riding Hood (she signed a prized autograph book at the stage door).  Teenage years spent at the nationally long gone and sorely missed "rep".  In our case the old Playhouse.  Believe we saw Judi Dench, then more or less the same age as ourselves, in productions there.  Wonder whether anyone can substantiate  this.