Off at a tangent Merthyr Imp but years ago I bought a very nice Wedgewood Soup Tureen in an antique/secondhand Shop that supposedly had belonged to Dandy Nicols.  SOMEBODY broke the lid so we dumped it. 

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have posted in the past how greasepaint runs in the blood of my sister and me - we both donned brown-paper rat's-head masks and scuttled on to the stage at Crane school following the Pied Piper of H

Cor Chulla, seeing those Parkie packets just makes me fancy a puff. I can almost see myself sitting on the top deck of the "Red Bus" bouncing along Colwick Rd, 7.30am on my way to work. The air would

I hadn't intended to include this with it not being a Notts theatre, but as it's coincidental with the recent death of Brian Rix here it is. My next theatre trip happened to be to see one of his farce

A week later in 1979 was another play - a 'four-hander', which was very economical for touring productions.  All fairly well-known names, although Richard Easton was probably only known for appearing in 'The Brothers' on TV.

Another play I can't really remember anything about.

Untitled-Scanned-06_zpsbcwbacfi.jpg

Notts County advertising in the programme. I wonder if the Theatre Royal reciprocated?

Untitled-Scanned-05_zpsmx1nnoyo.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Continuing with this, and a month later in 1979 two plays were presented in the week, however I think I only went to see 'The Elder Statesman' - about which I can remember nothing!

Star of many things on TV, Kate O'Mara, was in it, along with Robert Flemyng a well-known presence in films from the 1950s onwards.

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpsdzdrqvzj.jpg

'Powerful microcomputers' were now available to buy:

Untitled-Scanned-04_zpsmwumwma6.jpg

An interesting production of 'The Beggar's Opera' starring Edward Woodward as Macheath and others well-known from TV such as Michele Dotrice (who later became Woodward's second wife) and John Savident, later well-known for 'Coronation Street' (so I'm told).

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpspqpwhpkv.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpsyiidxtwy.jpg

The following week the National Theatre visited the Theatre Royal with a production of 'When We Are Married' by J. B. Priestley.  I remember this as being really good as with most of this author's plays, and it's a pity that - apart from recent productions of 'An Inspector Calls' - he seems to have fallen out of fashion.

Untitled-Scanned-01_zpst7uttejq.jpg

I've copied the cast list as it's a memorable one, including Robin Bailey back again.

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpsds93klkm.jpg

Scan10001_zpsye7ppclq.jpg

We saw TOSCA at the Rome Opera House on New Years Eve in the early 1990s.  We'd gone for a few days with friends and thought it was right for the men to wear dinner jackets but we were wrong, the majority of the male members of the audience were very very casually dressed.   A wonderful evening it was too, very memorable.

The following morning, NY Day, we caught a bus from our hotel to The Vatican to see the Pope give his NY address. Our friend had his wallet lifted, even though he'd got it in a front pocket of his trousers and underneath a big overcoat.  He and my husband then spent hours filling out numerous forms in the police station.  What a waste of a day, didn't have binoculars to see the Pope either, he was just a little dot on a balcony about 100 yards away!  

June 1980, and a comedy which I remember was about a village cricket team (hence the title) but nothing else has stuck in my mind about it.

The cast which included one or two names well known on TV, including James Ellis of Z-Cars, on this occasion without a Northern Irish accent.

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpsqoydcybl.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-04_zpsws7o2okb.jpg

A while back the design of Park Drive packets was mentioned on this thread. While sorting out cigarette cards for a different thread, some sets were kept in Park Drive packets. Here you can see the old original packet of 10 plain (the green band was later replaced by a gold band), and the modern-looking 10 plain packet. The old blue packet seen here was for 5 Park Drive Navy Cut, with the modern 10 tipped packet alongside.

Park%20Drive%20packets_zpskktxalvn.jpg

• Upvote 3

18 months ago, while the 1950s tiled replacement fireplace was being removed from my 1930 house, one of the items which fell out of the chimney cavity was an empty Park Drive packet, red and gold, unfiltered. Scratched in the cement on the reverse of the fire surround was the date June 1955! A piece of history!

• Upvote 1

Cor Chulla, seeing those Parkie packets just makes me fancy a puff. I can almost see myself sitting on the top deck of the "Red Bus" bouncing along Colwick Rd, 7.30am on my way to work. The air would have been thick with smoke, and the smell of struck matches. If I was quick I could fit one and a half parkies in on the journey to town. Flip the last one and save the dog end for break. Cough Splutter. :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

In our shop in the early 1960s it was one shilling and ten pence ha'penny for a packet of ten Park Drive - three ha'pence change from a florin. We sold so many like that I could just hand over the change without working it out in my head.

• Upvote 2
12 hours ago, trevorthegasman said:

Bit sad that one as in Nov 1980 Imogen Hassall from a famous family committed suicide,  

I hadn't realised that - it could very well be significant then, that there was a printed slip in the programme: 'due to illness, the part of 'Ginnie' will be played by Hilary Crane and not Imogen Hassall as advertised.'

I find the adverts in these programs interesting,I know thats not the point of the thread,but just as comparisons very interesting,Thanks for posting

Rog

Not quite concerned with this thread. except it was given to me years ago by my good friend Herbert Watson (Eastwood man at the time) who saw this production when he was serving with No.3 Squadron RAF at Wunstorf, Germany in the immediate post-war years. I thought that Merthyr Imp might be interested It. None of the cast are recognizable names. The programme is autographed 'Murderously Yours, Tod Slaughter' 

CSE%201_zpsmzf40gxv.jpg

CSE%202_zps25mln10r.jpg

I remember seeing Tod Slaughter's 1930s film of that on TV years ago. All this is long before the musical version of recent years of course.

Apparently Slaughter was his real surname.

'Walter Plinge' in the cast list usually signified the part was being played by one of the other named actors.

November 1980, and the Old Vic Company visited the Theatre Royal with a comedy by the Victorian dramatist Arthur W. Pinero, the subject being the life and loves of theatrical people. Pinero is rather like J. B. Priestley in that while his plays were still being performed going into the 1980s and 90s, since then they seem to have gone out of fashion.

This production featured Bill Fraser and Robert Lindsay as the most notable TV faces.

Untitled-Scanned-04_zpsbrczojd6.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-05_zpszdthx2ro.jpg

Arthur Wing Pinero wrote a play about a soldier badly disfigured in WW1. I think he was encouraged in this by the authorities to show that there is life and love after such a tragedy. It was called The Enchanted Cottage. Years later Hollywood made it into a superb film starring Dorothy McGuire and Robert Young. All you romantics, catch it next time it comes on TV, or borrow to DVD from me.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Early December 1980 and the National Theatre Company presented a Restoration comedy by John Vanbrugh, a dramatist who was equally famous as an architect.

Can't really remember much of it, but the stars were Geraldine McEwan and Dorothy Tutin backed up by Brenda Blethyn and Nicky Henson.

Untitled-Scanned-03_zps3ux9iyn1.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-04_zpsha8l5lie.jpg