March 1993 and a play that I do remember.

A group of people in a hotel room in Italy (I think) watching the England v West Germany World Cup semi-final on TV - some interested in football, some not.  I particularly remember the part when it came to the description of the penalty shoot-out - '...and Stuart Pearce steps to take the crucial penalty...'  A rueful groan went up from the audience!  But then the play went off into what Captain Mainwaring would describe as the realms of fantasy.

It was really good, but I don't believe the play ever gets performed these days, as it wouldn't be as topical as it was in 1993 when memories were still fresh and Gary Lineker was still playing.

Theatre was nearly full.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have posted in the past how greasepaint runs in the blood of my sister and me - we both donned brown-paper rat's-head masks and scuttled on to the stage at Crane school following the Pied Piper of H

Cor Chulla, seeing those Parkie packets just makes me fancy a puff. I can almost see myself sitting on the top deck of the "Red Bus" bouncing along Colwick Rd, 7.30am on my way to work. The air would

I hadn't intended to include this with it not being a Notts theatre, but as it's coincidental with the recent death of Brian Rix here it is. My next theatre trip happened to be to see one of his farce

At the beginning of June 1993 it was Opera North and 'La Boheme', then a couple of weeks later a good Terence Rattigan play which I can vaguely remember. Perhaps due to the presence of a number of 'TV names' the theatre was just under half full.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg 

The following month D'Oyly Carte were back with productions of 'The Pirates of Penzance' and Offenbach's 'Orpheus in the Underworld'. I yield to no-one as an enthusiast for the works of Gilbert & Sullivan, but this version of 'Orpheus' was among the best things I've ever seen in the theatre.  Shame it was only about two thirds full.

Untitled_Scanned_15.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

This year I saw two of the plays in the summer thriller season - 'Peril at End House', an Agatha Christie featuring Hercule Poirot, and 'Fatal Attraction' (not the same as the film).

Untitled_Scanned_04.jpg

With Opera North's visit in October meaning 'La Boheme' again, that drew 1993 to a close.

February 1994, and Opera North again, with Chabrier's 'L'Etoile' (only just over half full) and old favourite 'La Traviata' (all but full).

Then the following week it was some Andrew Lloyd Webber. Nobody well known in the cast, and being one of his lesser-known pieces the theatre was only two-thirds full.

Untitled_Scanned_01.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

In April there was a production of a musical I recently mentioned in another thread on here - 'Me and My Girl'. Nobody well-known in it, perhaps accounting for the theatre being less than half full - this despite the show including g hit songs: 'Leaning on a Lamp Post', 'The Lambeth Walk' and 'The Sun Has Got His Hat On'.

Untitled_Scanned_02.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_03.jpg

Untitled_Scanned_04.jpg

Jill, we were probably sitting at the next table. I know it was 1977 because Derek Randall was in just before going to Oz to play in the Centenary Test. By the bye, yo lot weren't arf mekkin a racket!

PS: just noticed Jill that I've made one more post than you've had "likes"

• Upvote 1

We probably were, Commo! We were the party of legal eagles from Browne Jacobson & Roose. Can't remember much about what we ate but several of our number sent it back and probably read the chef The Consumer Rights Act...just because they could! 

The manners on your table were nothing short of disgusting!  smile2

• Like 1

In October 1995 D'Oyly Carte were back with 'The Mikado' and a new production of Offenbach's 'La Vie Parisienne'.

Untitled_Scanned_04.jpg

Sorry if the above hasn't come out very clear.

Untitled_Scanned_05.jpg

And that, as they say nowadays, wraps it up for this series, as that was my last visit to date to the Theatre Royal. My visits there which really started with D'Oyly Carte Opera in 1970 happened to finish with the same company 25 years later.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Merthyr Imp, I heard something on Radio Nottingham this afternoon about a group of volunteers working on archiving information, including old theatre programmes, for Theatre Royal.  They were saying that if anyone has old programmes they would be willing to donate or lend to the Theatre then get in touch.  I'm sure you'd want to hang onto all your programmes but thought I'd let you (and any other theatre-goers) know about their request.