I recall a few from my Yoof.

Sometime in probably the late 1950s, we gathered on the verge of Hucknall Road, by the rail crossing opposite NCV garage to watch somebody royal process past. Can't remember who. It was all a bit of an anticlimax.

Sometime early 60s Frankie Vaughan came to open a new or re-furbished Youth Club in Bulwell. For some reason I recall him being in a Land Rover. Parking restrictions for miles. You'd have thought the Angel Gabriel was visiting.

And finally, around the same time, Bruce Forsyth attended a Fete in either Padstow or Henry Whipple. I recall him signing many autographs. The whole of Bestwood Est was a 'no go' area for the duration.

Anyone else?

Col

• Upvote 1

I remember that Col. on Hucknall road,i was playing football and recall all the people gathered,and 4 or 5 cars flashing past,God knows who it was,Royalty i think?.........don't know where they were going either............

I also remember Bestwood being a no-go area.......but for different reasons in the 90s

• Upvote 2

My Mam got a signed photo from Henry Cooper during a shopping trip to town I wasn't with her so I don't know where he was. She said he "smelled nice" so I reckon he must have splashed the Brut all over.......I managed to get a signed photo of Sunny Sunblest when he was at the opening of a supermarket. Mam said "E din't look very sunny did e?"

I just remembered......I got a signed photo from Charlie Chester at the same time......It was the opening of a supermarket in Hyson Green I think.

• Upvote 1

Got Peter shiltons autograph when he opened the co-op superstore on main Street , Bulwell in the late 70s and got the American actor (Automan )chuck Wagner's when he visited the co-op on upper parliament street in the 80s

I don't know what happen to the autographs not that they would be worth anything

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

During my teaching career, many a minor celeb , footballer or whatever has come through my classroom on a visit....the one that gave me the most concern was Jimmy Savile......pleased to say I didn't ask for a signed picture ........

Funny enough the one who did make me smile was Brian Clough , probably because he gave me a signed football to raffle and we raised a lot of money from that one gesture ......

• Upvote 6

Had a pee,next to Gary Birtles at Wollaton park.................we did'nt speak..........well you don't do ya..................

Early 50's, a member of the Royal Family came along Alfreton Rd towards Bobbers Mill. I remember standing and waving a little Union Jack. I seem to think it may have been Princess Margaret, but can't be certain.

I was part of the Guard of Honour when Princess Anne opened the Maternity Unit at NC Hospital in 1970s She stopped to chat to us on the way through.

Royal waved to by Princess Margaret at the gates to Clarence house, we were in London celebrating my 50th b-day. She looked so tiny in the back of her car.

Chatted to Jim Davidson in the bar of the Connaught Hotel W-ton,

Chatted to Jethro in a cafe on the way home from Skeggy, (Pain in the neck)

Met and got autographs of Billy Fury, Marty Wilde, Del Shannon, plus a few others.

Not a lot, I know. and I try not to let it change my life. LOL.

• Upvote 2

Met John Barnwell a few times when he managed Peterborough and i lived there.........very nice chap...........

Also met when I was down there Jim Baron ex Forest keeper and Peter Hindley (tank)....

Oh yes nearly forgot.....Edmund Hockridge.....remember him ?

When I lived by Beeston Marina I was walking home when several policemen on motorbikes came past, very slowly, followed by a limo and more police at the back. I thought I recognised the car's occupant so tapped on the window and waved. Wonder I didn't get arrested - saw on the news later that it was Princess Anne visiting Plessey and using their helipad!

Also working at the old Queen Street post office we used to get various personalities who were appearing at the Theatre Royal coming in. I served Brian Rix, Rod Hull and Alan can't remember who was married to Diana Dors amongst others.

• Upvote 2

When i worked at Coop house,i met Fenella Fielding,........opened the door for her and took her up the lift....................if you'll pardon the expression.......lol.

Sometime in the early 60's Dianna Dors came to open a Newsagents shop, Taylor's on Alfreton Road. A big American car parked on the bottom of our road and out she got. I can't recall now if the car was white and she wore pink or the car pink and she wore white. Oh yes, I remember it well. She seemed very glamorous in gloomy Radford.

• Upvote 1

Not exactly a celebrity visit but when I worked at the Arnold baths in the 70's I was looking out through the foyer window with a workmate when he said "D'yer know who that is ?" I didn't but he said "That's Tommy Lawton".

Well, well, well ! What a coincidence, exactly thirty nine years ago this very afternoon I was driving a bus on a late shift at Bulwell Depot. Teatime ish I remember getting caught up in horrendous traffic queue at Milton Street. Why, ? A visit from HM Liz II.

Absolute chaos & if I remember rightly buses in Nottingham came to a standstill !

Not exactly meeting a "celebrity" but near enough hellothere

This could have been me, nearest the camera after the police re-opened Milton Street to traffic. I was driving a 44 bus to Colwick Road.

Seems just like yesterday.

995818_10200707254157483_1454997391_n_zp

• Upvote 3

Slightly off topic ( what's new?)

There was a boarding house on Goldsmith st.for 'actors' which housed those appearing at The Playhouse and Theatre Royal,my Mum was friendly with the owner- often stars staying there would acquire an 'earner' opening a shop or store in Nottm.