Location - YMCA hut & railway station ?

Any suggestions for the location of this ?

The caption clearly says "YMCA Rest Hut, Midland Station, Nottingham" but I can't place it. There's nowhere in or around the Midland Station which fits; that slope down the left doesn't match anywhere in the area. There's a YMCA poster on the wall at far right; and a pub (?) roof sign at the left rear.....so it may not be Nottingham at all.

k5wrcKo.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saturday 23 December 1916 , Nottingham Evening Post A Christmas tree will be held in the Y.M.C.A. hut, opposite the Midland Railway Station, on Christmas Day, and gifts will be welcomed by the lad

One last go, then I give up On the 1916 map Queen's Bridge Road exists but what is now Sherrifs Way does not. This was then a pedestrian walkway with trees. The yellow patch is where I think the YMC

So now we know ! One further piece of evidence to add to Ian Dawson's work....the building in the background (on the left) was definitely the one now known as Karlsruhe House; the triangular features

Is that the canal towpath to the left...opposite Station st?

Was that hall used for conscription?

Had an after thought.. is the location Burnhams/bier Keller?

Sign at the rear could be a neighbouring building to Karlsruhe?

It was opposite the Midland Station on Carrington Street . Later seemed to have been called the YMCA Services Canteen and that appears to have closed in 1946.

• Upvote 1

In 1960 as a Van-lad at Midland station that road/slope was not much more than a track,and it ran down to the shunting yard and sheds,we used to go down there for breakfeast in a little wooden shed cafe...........tomatoes on toast 1/-.'.........still enjoy them............

• Upvote 1

It was opposite the Midland Station on Carrington Street . Later seemed to have been called the YMCA Services Canteen and that appears to have closed in 1946.

In 1960 as a Van-lad at Midland station that road/slope was not much more than a track,and it ran down to the shunting yard and sheds,we used to go down there for breakfeast in a little wooden shed

Is it marked on this map from around 1915 ? There are several possibilities but I'm not sure which one it is.

shed_zpsiirdjapd.jpg

• Upvote 1

The little café would have been roughly where it says WM........looks as if it was there in 1915.............

No, the original photo isn't benjamin's caff in the goods yard, which was very much smaller.

As David and Ian have said, it appears to be on the corner of Carrington St/Queensbridge Rd, opposite Queens Hotel. The building poking up at the rear looks to be what is now Karlsruhe House.

I had a feeling the locations were getting a bit mixed up. This is the Queens Bridge Road corner in 1947, with the Queen's Hotel at right centre. At this time, the area which would become the 1960s office block was a wood yard.

queens%20bridge1_zpshma2oiyn.jpg

There is a thread somewhere that shows a filmed journey on a tram from Station Street and into Market Square. It might show the building as it turns right out of Station Street. Just a thought.

A few noticeable features of YMCA buildings was the using of porthole windows,the stack has got nice brick bonding and a herring bone pattern?

Don't think it was a building of particular substance.. apart from the chimney that had two fireplaces.

Somewhere I think that was a hall for recruitment.. wish my Dad was still around,ah well..a great subject anyway.

My initial thought too Ian .

A quote from the book ‘Nottingham and the Great War’ by Carol Lovejoy Edwards, Referring to 1916 -

In November a rest hut was erected at the top of Queen Street for use by soldiers who passed through Nottingham. It was made of brick and wood, could sleep 30 men and also had camp cots for another 30 at night.

Not sure if it helps, but submitted on the basis that anything might be useful. Just wonder if Queen Street might be confused here with Queens Road?

The date is unfortunate, as the only large scale map of the area is dated 1916, probably the survey was done before the building was erected.