Location - YMCA hut & railway station ?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saturday 23 December 1916 , Nottingham Evening Post A Christmas tree will be held in the Y.M.C.A. hut, opposite the Midland Railway Station, on Christmas Day, and gifts will be welcomed by the lad

One last go, then I give up On the 1916 map Queen's Bridge Road exists but what is now Sherrifs Way does not. This was then a pedestrian walkway with trees. The yellow patch is where I think the YMC

So now we know ! One further piece of evidence to add to Ian Dawson's work....the building in the background (on the left) was definitely the one now known as Karlsruhe House; the triangular features

I think that would have been on the relatively small area next to the Post Office, also there were no trees on Queen St.

With regard to the #1 hut, I think it must be the corner of Queens Bridge Rd, with the trees behind and the decorative corner top of the warehouse building that became Karlsruhe House just visible. Not sure where the CO...sign is from. The other thing that's maybe confusing, is that it's not an oblong building, there's the frontage on Carrington St and then goes off at an angle down Queensbridge Rd. As what would have been built as a temporary construction, it would have made best use of available space on the corner.

Definitely COR !

On further scrutiny, it could be COD or COB,

I wonder if the building was a temporary construction at the top of Queens Walk - there are railings on the very left of this photo a bit like those on the first YMCA photo. Why have railings around the building unless they were there anyway? The trees would be those on Queens Walk.

nottingham-carrington-street-and-midland

As for the sign in the background, there is no guarantee it is actually attached to the building in the background. They would have to be very large for that to be so. They might be above something else that we can't see nearer to the camera.

Those towers in the background do look a lot like the roofline of Welbeck School, which was on Queens Bridge Road

Welbeck_School_The_Meadows_1971_s.jpg

I'd say it was positioned here. If you zoom in on the skyline by the trees, the corner of Karlsruhe House can be seen. The CO.. appears to be attached to the rear of the hut, not a building behind.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9467351,-1.1470545,3a,75y,248.33h,64.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-TqbQd3JfmBSv2Fnd3Nmgg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I think we are broadly in agreement TBI, except that Queens Bridge Road originally came roughly up to the centre right of your image, so the YMCA would be on the left hand side.

In other words, specifically here on the map (yellow area)

uyuururururur_zpsptyfrlfu.jpg

I would guess that the council donated the land from 1916 when the building was built for the duration of the war. After that it would have been removed. I wonder if the structure was used anywhere secondhand - a cricket pavilion or something similar?

There were similar huts in other cities..these depended on fund raising activities to erect them.

In the Bloomsbury area of London there is a more grandiose building... but with identical chimney stack...also huts provided by the YMCA were near the battle and at some camps.

I do believe the lettering above the roof in pic#1 is of Coombes Flour.. they were around that time..and the dates match.

That building was on Lenton Boulevard, facing the castle. That would have put the hut at the top of Castle Rd. The sign looks similar but the top of the building is also different.

We seem to be going round in circles here. ;)

Posts 38-40 give a pretty convincing location for the YMCA. Is it possible that Coombs owned other premises on Queens Bridge Road near the school? That would provide an answer for the sign.

As mentioned previously the YMCA Services Canteen on Carrington St , didn't close until after WW2 . (Am assuming it was still in the same building) .

The completion of the new premises on Shakespeare St was delayed by WW2 but between the two they managed to house a total of 27000 men in 1942 alone .

• Upvote 1