Trent Bridge to the City via the Beeston Canal.

This is a vide slideshow made up of yesterday's photo's from the excursion Mrs Catfan & I had.It has been six years since we last walked the canal, last time from Castle Marina along the canal to Trent Bridge & returning the same route. Sadly I am unable to do that nowadays so this was a much shortened version. I noticed a lot of changes in such a short space of time.

A very pleasent few hours was had by taking the route from the Trent Embankment along trentside & then following the Nottm & Beeston Canal. Stopping a few times on the way ! As far as the Company Inn, seemed a good idea to me !

This route runs alongside London Road then alongthe back of Canal Street. The best way of noticing things is by walking around, miss too much when driving !

One of the most striking things I noticed was the new buildings along side some of the old ones, soon all we be no old buildings left.

One improvement I thought was the old Turney's leatherworks now converted to apartments which look very nice. (if you could afford one).

Considering this canal is in the city centre & only yards away from busy roads seemed a shame to be so little used.

So YouTube have finally uploaded the video & for your viewing & listening pleasure here it is in glorius HD video @ 1080p also featuring stereophonic sound !

As they say, ................Enjoy !

• Upvote 19

Beautiful Mick,and well done Sue!!

Seemed a lovely day,there are many new flats and apartments built since I left Nottm.

The pictures along with the music make for nice viewing with a cuppa.

Thanks for taking the time and effort,Ian.

Lot of memories there for me,was it neatly 65 years ago when we set off with a jam jar and a fishing net on a thin bamboo cane and walk the side of the canal after climbing down the bridge top of Kirkewhite St or getting the hooks from the cattle market and dregging the canal (bicycle frames and old prams) no use but we enjoyed it.

Last year I walked from Stapleford to Ilkeston and back along the canal it was the highlight of my holiday, I tend to love walking and think I still have the tools on my back with the hammer over my shoulder and dream I,am 17 again.

We will return next year and I will walk the canal from the Trent as far as I can and bring the memories flooding back for prehaps the last time,we shall see.

• Upvote 5

Thank you so much for producing that wonderful presentation. Really enjoyed it and brought back many memories. Owe you an Abbots and whatever Mrs Catfan likes.

I have looked at parts of the towpath on street view several times. Under the bridge by the navigation Inn is where my mam took me fishing for the first time when I was 6 or 7 years old. Still looks the same 70 years later.

• Upvote 1

Catfan thank you so much for the brilliant slideshow. On the day you took the photos i walked along the canal from where Jury's Inn is to the Nottingham Archives and the later on I walked back to the tram. That was the first time I had been to Nottingham city centre for many years. I wish I had seen you! Your lovely photos have made my day and they remind me of the great time I had in Nottingham as I described on " How's your day",

• Upvote 1

Very nice, thank you catfan. I didn't recognise any of it. So much new building. Good to see you also have Canada geese and Arizona doesn't have them all spread throughout every golf course!

• Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Part two.

A continuation of the Nottm / Beeston canal from Castle Wharf to Castle Marina.

A very pleasent & enjoyable couple of hours stroll.

As they say...................Enjoy !

• Upvote 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Lovely pair of slide shows Catfan. Thank you for posting them. The canal has changed since I used to walk down there to see Notts. play when I was a kid.

• Upvote 1