Sign in to follow this  

A rainy day in the Lending Library - Bilbie Street

I started this thread back then..recalling my affection for the building and it's contents.Recently picked up 'Cab At The Door' ..a great read by V.S .Pritchett.

university-college.jpg

bab977ba9fd2421cdcf41b4bd4e1f8c8.jpgCapturing the corner of Dryden Street..the Registry Office, college and a misty Railway clock tower.

• Like 2

This seems an appropiate home for a somewhat sentimental image.Taken from the Technical College in 1965.52325.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgSouth Sherwood Street..in all it's glory.

Taylors Factory was on the verge of removal..and in this instance hides the Lending Library from view..Roof of Central division provides interest..TBI- like myself recalls Moons very well.

The Clinton..YWCA...Central Fish Bar,Radio and Valve Store, Harrisons Sweet Shop..and on the far right..Nottm Adult Education Centre..which in the 1950s saw a scorned Wife shoot at her Husband..we often peeked in at the chipped steps.

• Like 1

Fascinating stuff - only coming to this part of the city in the 80s, I never realised Bilbie Walk had a previous existence, nor knew Arkwright Building as anything other than educational facilities (the Fashion Dept dye technology labs were in the top floor at the Bilbie end in my day).

Terrace Royal at the bottom of Clarendon Street is now Grade1 listed externally, but the ghastly object plonked on what for years was a car park between there and the Chaucer Building can't be said to complement it!

When i think back i gained more knowledge from the what lay in the pages of books...than i did in Gussies52328-1-280-99999-unpad.jpg.Sunday, 1966- shot from the corner of St.Albans Terrace..Taylors factory has gone..a VW bug ran over my foot along here yonks ago whilst returning some books..the lady driver ..obviously concerned..put me in the Beetle and after palming me with 2 bob..asked for my address..arrived home one evening to a right clip around me tabs...the woman came to the door whilst i was at school.

With Saturday  fingers smelling of salt & Vinegar i tiptoed and reached higher books..fascinated by the illustrated jacket covers. Our house was light on soft furnishings and carpet..but i was surrounded by reading matter .railway-children-book-cover.jpgThe film brought me to tears...as did the book- never mind a Walnut Whip ..i lost myself within the pages.35607849.jpgC.Day' Lewis and the wicked Johnny Sharp took me away from the shit and school and rows.

• Like 1

Cup Of Gold started a life long love of Steinbeck..even venturing on a pilgrimage to Salinas.download.jpg

Though streetwise and savvy about life ..even then- the lashings of ginger beer and Timmy ..i knew i was a million miles from it.Odd to think i was reading The Angry Mountain and found it more compelling than a letter to the corinthians.five-on-kirrin-island-again-2.jpg

• Like 1