• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There must be something in this Flat Earth stuff.. after all the Flat Earth Society  has members all around the globe....   

Gravity has a twisting motion and also a powerful sideways component. Witness the dropping of buttered toast, and when you're working at the garage bench and you drop a small item. It drops about

Many years back, an experiment was carried out in a deep mine, the idea was to see if two plumb lines were exactly the same distance apart at the two pit bottoms. It was done at a weekend when no mini

And you can see the curvature of the earth when at sea, looks odd when you see a ship start rising "out of the sea" on the horizon.

On 25/11/2017 at 6:26 PM, plantfit said:

In the science museum in London they have a long thin wire coming from the beams in the very top of the building with a weight and pointer at the bottom,on the floor is a clock face, the pendulum swings in one direction but when you pass it again a few hours later the pendulum appears to have moved around the clockface when in reality the earth has rotated but the pendlum is still swinging in the same plane if you follow me,proving that the earth is spinning

Rog

I saw that in the early 1960s.

• Like 1

I don't get this!  The whole building is moving/rotating, not just the floor, so why does the situation described above happen..

The pendulum swings in the same plane all the time ie: north to south to start with but with the building/ground/earth is rotating and the pendulum still swinging in the same plane,so the earth has moved around but the pendulum hasn't moved round with it, if that make sense

Rog

Hang a pendulum from a (door frame) for example put a piece of paper with a clockface drawn on it and place that directly under the pendulum on the floor with say a 6" gap between paper clockface and bottom of pendulum,set the pedulum swinging nice and steady now rotate the paper clock either clockwise or anticlockwise the pendulum should now be swinging in different time area's, the one in the science museum is on a massive scale but the model should give you some idea

Rog

I get that suggestion, but it's not just the floor surface that's spinning in the case of the Earth - it's the building as well.  Everything is spinning! (Like my head!)

• Upvote 1

Me too Margie. I keep reading the explanations, and think I've understood them. Then I imagine that I'm up in space and looking at the earth, then I'm baffled again and re read everything. Whatever is happening, I'm happy with !

• Like 1

The pendulum (quite heavy) hangs on a very thin wire with no resistance at the top so it can't turn with the rest of the building,it just keeps swinging in the same plane, whereas the ground (earth) is revolving in space albeit taking 24 hours to come back to the starting point of the pendulum, the wire is very long (I don't know maybe 100 feet long) and it swings quite a way maybe 20 feet, there maybe some youtube stuff on I don't know,I'll have a look when I get back from me trike ride

Rog

I've heard that before Rog. That's good enough an explanation for me. Bu66er the wire, weights and pendulum things !

• Like 1

Try "googling" Foucault pendulum, theres plenty of youtube stuff as well,might be able to explain it better than me

Rog

I think the Science Museum penduum can be a bit confusing. ( It certanly confused me as a kid. )  Thing is we are used to seeing pendulums ( pendulii  ?) on clocks, which can only swing in one plane relative to the clock mechanism and therefore will work with the clock in any orientation.  The one at the museum can swing in any plane relative to the building and to the Earth.  So, as the Earth rotates the pendulum can stay in its natural plane and the building appears to move around it.

..I think...  :blink:

And anyway, my daughter phoned me from the top of the World Trade Centre in New York, only days before 9/11.  She told me she could see the curvature of the Earth and I'd sooner believe her than some Flat Earth loony who is incapable of believing the evidence of his own eyes and the whole weight of science.

Col

• Like 1

If a satellite is going south to north on a polar orbit passing over Notts on this pass, as it goes goes over the north pole it'll then go north to south over Siberia & New Zealand, as it goes over the south pole & comes back north, when it gets to Notts latitude it'd be over west of Ireland or somewhere near & on every pass go a bit further westward as the earth move under the satellites path polar path... Wonder how the flat would earthers explain that???

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I saw the sun rise from 40,000 feet over the Atlantic a few weeks ago & could clearly see the curvature of the earth....... Are there any flat earthers on Nottstagia? I'd love to talk to one. The nearest I've got was my late Mother-in-law who said the sun went from west to east when she was in Joondalup Western Australia as it went the wrong way. When her sister-in-law said they were going up north for the warmer weather she corrected them & said "no, you mean south, it gets colder when you go north!" It was explained to her loads of times but she never got it...

There must be something in this Flat Earth stuff.. after all the Flat Earth Society  has members all around the globe....  :rolleyes: 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2
  • 5 months later...

Been reading on a flat earth site that gravity doesn't exist. They explain the reason we stick to the earth is because it is accelerating upwards at 32 feet per second per second & this goes on forever. I'm wondering what happens when the upwards accelerating flat earth eventually gets near light speed ? Looks like things could get interesting on our flat earth in the future...

Till 1998 they thought the universe was slowing down it's expansion & would eventually go in reverse. But then they found out through several different ways that the expansion appears to be accelerating, they have zero idea how or why. I lay in bed thinking how the universe will be in billions of years time... 

Been trying to work out the power source that powers the earth upwards at 32 feet per second per second all the time?