Nottstalgia Forum server migration.

Our current batch of hosting expires October 2016.

I have now purchased a new batch of hosting with https://www.forthhosting.co.uk.

I am in the process of transferring files between servers, this will not effect the general operation of the site.

The main problem is transferring and installing the database, which in the region of 880Mb.

It is crashing out at around 300mb

I am currently experimenting on the database backup dated 25/7/16, and once I am happy with operations will temporarily

close the site, to prevent new registrations and topic replies. Then download an up to date backup, restoring it on the new server.

Once this is done the domain can then be pointed at the new server. At this time there will be two Nottstalgias, one closed site

and the new site.

You will continue to see the offline notice until the new IP address propagates.

This process could take up to 24 hours, but is usually much quicker. Two other domains recently repointed to the new hosting,

were instant.

• Upvote 6

We currently run Community Forum Software by IP.Board, Version 3.4.7, there is now a totally new version,

New Version Available: 4.1.13.2 A new version of IP.Board is available now. Click here for more information.

Our current hosting will not allow us to update to the latest forum software version due to their PhP version being too early

TEST CURRENT SERVER

The new server will support the new version of our forum

TEST NEW SERVER

• Upvote 1

Dozens of efforts to FTP database file to server, failing at 96% upload.

Gzipped file to reduce size to 133mb

Numerous attempts to FTP file, failing at 96% Grrrrrr!

SUCCESS IN UPLOAD

Importing database which far excedes PhP limit in size, using 'bigdump' to split file and import in chunks

Second Failure to import database from GZip file!

bigdump_zpsdsvoriwy.png

Lost me at around #2!! :blink:

Are we all going to be sucked into hyperspace? :Shock:

I'm getting nervous.. :unsure:

Col.

• Upvote 1

Congrats Mick. Much appreciated.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but since the migration, the site seems so much slower. Everything moves at a snails pace, and often just drops out. I then have to go to my settings and refresh the thing.

I only changed from BT Vision on Monday to BT infinity. Supposedly with super fast internet. Currently, not impressed.

I'm on straight away, it's just that every movement is at snail pace.