Major Railway Mistake in 'The Secret Agent'

Generally excellent production of Conrad's 'The Secret Agent on the Beeb was rather spoiled by some very sloppy railway stuff.

The novel is set in the 1880s, so imagine my amusement when a steam engine with a 6 digit number is shown. More especially when it carries the 'Lion on a Bike' British Railways logo first introduced in around 1948!

Couldn't quite catch the loco's BR number, but I'm sure our more train savvy members will.

Col

The loco was the D49 'Morayshire' 62717 based in Scotland with two ex Caledonian railway coaches. Couldn't figure out where the terminus scenes were filmed. Best bit was the scene of the loco passing at high speed which was actually an American loco with front headlight and USA coaches, what idiot slipped that one in.

Let's face it, films, TV programmes always get the trains wrong, even the famous Railway Children film managed to do that, GWR pannier tanks in Yorkshire around the time of the First World War, NOT.

• Upvote 1

One of my interests is vintage radio and tv. The sets that is, not the content. I am on a forum and they have a section dedicated to bloopers where film and tv have the wrong technology in a production. For example using a radio released in 1958 in WW2 films.

My own feeling is that if it doesn't spoil the story so what. In many cases it would be impossible, impractical or prohibitively expensive to get the correct period item although for those in the know it's fun to spot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

One of my interests is vintage radio and tv. The sets that is, not the content. I am on a forum and they have a section dedicated to bloopers where film and tv have the wrong technology in a production. For example using a radio released in 1958 in WW2 films.

My own feeling is that if it doesn't spoil the story so what. In many cases it would be impossible, impractical or prohibitively expensive to get the correct period item although for those in the know it's fun to spot.

No, it's easy to get it right, they could have gone to the Bluebell Railway, cheaper and simpler than going all the way up to Scotland and make a cock up and as for the USA shots,pathetic, lots of attention to detail with everything else, so,,,, why not with the trains, lazy production, ignorant people in charge!!!!

Yep, I also spotted the 'different' loco in the high speed shot, but didn't in it down to anything. I'm no expert, but I do know enough to spot some things.

That series 'Flambards', featured a harvest supper where they were all gathered in the kitchen singing 'The Shoeals of Herring'. Except that the series was set around WW1 and the song was written in around the late 1950s by Ewan McColl.

Col

Yes I've seen that anachronism tread on the UK vintage radio site: usually a 1920's/30's scene with a Bush DAC 90 in the background. Also UK 1950's scenes with UHF TV aerials on the roofs, UHF broadcasting didn't start in UK until 1964. SWMBO shout's at me when I spot these anachronisms & say's I spoil the film..

Point taken firbeck but I did say in many cases not all cases. If there was a suitable engine at a convenient location then it's just laziness and/or poor research.

The Bluebell Railway is in Sussex, not far from London and with the biggest collection of steam locos outside of the NRM, and their rolling stock is pretty awsome and of the correct period and place, why go all the way to Scotland to film the trains and get it wrong. The BBC must have thousands of of employees, clearly not a railway historian and looking at the dickheads on those railway programmes last week, they haven't a clue.

• Upvote 1

Whenever they film at heritage stations or steam preservation sites - pretending to be in the 30's or 40's, they frequently make the mistake of showing tracks with 'concrete' sleepers.

Railway tracks traditionally used wooden sleepers (treated with creosote) until the end of the 60's - when they brought in welded rails and sleepers made from bright white concrete.

It's a small point I know, but it's always a dead giveaway.

Funnily enough, on a technical point, wooden sleepers cause less wear on ballast because of their relative flexibility.

Concrete sleepers have to be cushioned around bends etc. , but at least they don't rot.

Almost as annoying as getting the history wrong, is the seeming obsession cameramen have for filming the wheels and 'connecting gear' (must be a better term..) in close up, rather than showng the full locomotive in all its glory.

Col

I suspect it's a 'wonga' issue. The makers of the Harry Potter films seem to have had no trouble getting a preserved Great Western Hall Class loco (Olton Hall), renaming it Hogwarts Castle and painting it a non standard colour. (Though a bit similar to the Crimson Lake LMS colour.

Here's a rough shot of it wot I took at York a couple of years ago.

28100100204_fb26153d22_k.jpgClematis 2012 065 by

Col

Yep. Took me about 20 minutes of waiting to get this.... I mean... didn't these people realise Col was there ?

21168886918_cd8336083d_k.jpg

I like steam trains (member/guest driver on RHDLR) too but..................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............the story wasn't about trains lads, shape up!!

Period drama things need to be correct

I expect the costumes to be correct so why not the trains?

After all it was set in the 1880s so if a motor car appeared are we going to complain Paulus ?

• Upvote 1

Most people know when clobber's wrong, not so many know about trains, so the producers know they're not gonna' pi99 off the majority of people, only the 'anoraks'..................apologies but it's true??

If anyone remembers Sharp, the research on that series was done by local Nottingham people. The Baker rifles, bayonets, and rifles regiment uniforms were all made here. Uniforms were the same cloth as corporation green. The main armourer was a local chap Billy Whitlam who also happened to be a leading member of the Napoleonic re-enactment society.

I think one of the problems now is that a lot of programs are made by independent companies so the budgets are tighter.