Bridge collapse Notts trains affected

You've probably seen on the news that trains between Nottingham and Leicester - including long distance services, are in chaos because of a bridge collapse at Barrow on Soar (just past Loughborough).

It's a bridge 'over the line' rather than one carrying train tracks.

As far as I know, locals have been complaining about the poor state of this bridge for ages. There was a quite serious dip in it on one side. As soon as they started work on it, it collapsed.

Yet another example of Network Rail leaving things until they are in a desperate state.

Hope that won't affect the bonuses of the senior managers (!)

I'm traveliing from Liverpool to Nottm tomorrow. As I recall the train goes via Sheffield, the Alfreton and round into Nottm .

not sure if I'm affected. Will have to call enquiries I think.

Col

Yebbut.. They are saying journeys north of Leicester, including Sheffield and 'The North'.

My train comes via the Derbys Dales to Shefield and then down via Alfreton and Chesterfield.

Hope it's OK, but I don't know those lines. They should never have closed the Great Central! Swines!! :)

Col

Oh right! Thanks for that!

See you tomorrow?

Col

My wife's ex husband's garden backs on to the railway at Barrow about 50 yards to the south of the bridge.

The bridge also gives access to Barrow upon Soar station.

But I couldn't get near enough to get any photos

Reason for being there today? feed the cat,chickens & tortoises.

Seems to have been a lack of initiative at Barrow on Soar this morning! the video shows the platforms are on the 'slow' line so were the local trains affected? if not why couldn't the London trains cross over at Loughboro' & be run at a reduced speed past B.on S. to keep any vibration to a minimum returning to the 'fast' line at Sileby or Syston? Please don't tell me the Xovers have been removed to save on maintenance or even shave a few seconds off the London timings!

• Upvote 1

We don't have an integrated transport system Albert.

Different companies on different lines. They are reluctant to have their services altered.

The last consideration is the passenger.

It only takes one thing to go wrong and the train companies are like headless chickens.

If we don't sit in a designated seat on a specific train at a specific time then we get penalised.

But when they mess up then it's all 'please bear with us'.

I bet you'll be on a bus for the Loughborough to Leicester part of your journey.

They won't have that bridge repaired for weeks!

In the last years of British Rail I was due to travel from Kings Cross to Newcastle upon Tyne. However, something had blocked the East Coast Main Line at Grantham - so the solution? We were told that not only would our tickets would be accepted on the St Pancras to Nottingham and Sheffield train - but they would also run that same train on to Leeds and York where we could pick up an East Coast service. I got home with a delay of an hour or so and got a nostalgic trip through Nottingham! Don't think it would happen nowadays.

• Upvote 1

No, not at all Tim.

When it was British Rail they would hold connections if a train was late.

They would put on additional services or run on 'duplicate' routes (which they still had).

In other words, they would do what it took to get the passenger home.

Now the rail companies couldn't give a toss.

Additional services cost money which they are reluctant to stump up, and maintenance and repair is at the behest of independent contractors who demand that whole routes are closed while they casually fix the problem as it suits them. (Overtime being a massive earner).

Not only are rail bosses paid enormous salaries that don't bear any relation to the amount of work that they do, they get paid huge bonuses despite woeful performance and reliability.

No wonder rail fares are so high when we reward such failure.

Full details are on the East Midlands Trains website showing what arrangements were/are in operation, eg. passengers: from Sheffield/Chesterfield allowed to travel via Doncaster to King's Cross and from Nottingham via Grantham to King's Cross. Derby passengers allowed to travel via Birmingham from Euston.

I think the limited service from Leicester to St Pancras that's mentioned may be due to the number of trains being stranded north of the bridge collapse.

They're working towards a normal service being resumed tomorrow (Wednesday), presumably using the slow line through Barrow-upon-Soar.

http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/information/media/Disruption-Information/DISRUPTION-Leicester---Loughborough/

Well, credit where credit is due, I didn't think that they'd have trains running again quite so soon.

No trains stopping at Loughborough, but at least they've got things moving again.

It'll still be weeks till that bridge is fixed.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...

Anyone remember the bridge collapse o n the Basford to Kimberley line? It was the last small bridge before you enter the tunnel into Kimberley on Spencer dr. where i lived.Vehicles used the bridge before the collapse but only pedestrians after the repair was done which led to Van Gugtens greenhouses and Redfield House farm this would have been in the late 50s.

• 2 weeks later...

You can see the bridge on the old Ordnance Survey maps at the top of Spencer Drive. No evidence of it now. Access to Redfield Farm is off of New Farm Lane, presumably created along the route of the mineral line that served Watnall Colliery from Nuthall Sidings. You can see the line of the old farm road on google satellite images.

Hi Mitch the railway cutting was filled in the late 70s though i am only guessing Spencer dr. is now pretty much private i lived at 3 spencer dr.from 1949 until 1968.As you say access to Redfield House is by New Farm Lane which is still operated by my fathers relative John Hatton i last saw him five years ago when we visited England.I remember as a child there was a railway line ran at the sideof Redfield House which for shunting it seemed to behind Blanchards bakery was something to do with the NCB.i would like to see the old ordnance survey map of the area thanks.

Old Maps can be found free here (bit slow at times) https://maps.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/insightmapping/#

Where it says 'Road Map' at top change it to 'historical' - the 1937 is the best bet, 1946 often missing. Can be a bit slow to load as you move around the map. The railway cutting is currently a cycle path from Hempshill Vale Estate (near Bulwell Cemetery) to the Bakery.

Mitch