Not me although I must be near. But theres still a bit of get up and go in the " old" girl yet.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Paul and I are both 73 but he's 2 months older than me. We have some good friends who are in their late seventies and others who are youngsters in their thirties. I've stopped worrying about gettin

Not shy, 66 but have felt more like 76 in recent weeks! Edit that. Felt more like 96 .......,

this year 71 years old, its took 70 years but just feel this year is my lifes beginning, feel like i am 40 again, diet, exercise you cannot beat it.

Wish I was older... can't wait to get outta here!!

I'm sure you don't mean that Ian........from what you say on here and having met you......I know you still have that 'lust for life'..............

• Upvote 1

I know what he means Ben. Sometimes you think the world has gone crazy and you've seen enough of it!

At times, I think, given the way this planet is heading, I don't fancy the thought of another 30 years here.

I reckon there are better places to go!

• Upvote 3

I know what you mean too Jill.........but while there are still nice people doing nice things......just outweighing the bad.......think i'll hang around a bit longer.......

• Upvote 4

Good subject matter Jill & Benjamin, i suppose it all depends on your station in life and the outlook that goes alongside it.

I'm fairly pragmatic about getting older,I'm miserable by nature i think- glass half empty/full?...no glass to start with!

Toleration of people has seriously depleted, in particular family, ignore most TV and haven't read a rag in years;a good book and music soothe me no end.

At nearly 55 I know I have spent most of my life 'running'...that be the job,mortgage and swinging a golf on a Saturday with terminal bores then washing the motor prior to the top-side and Yorkshire's of a Sunday.

When the Kids have found their paths...my ultimate and final Flee destination would be a beach pad on Parrot Cay Island...bliss!!

I can appreciate what you're saying Ian. Maybe it's an age thing but I don't have anywhere near as much time for people as I once did and it was never very much to start with!

I no longer have a TV. Got rid of it due to the interminable rubbish on most of the channels and there seems to be so much else to do I can't justify wasting the time. Again, music and books are more of interest to me these days. I don't know whether it's me or whether people nowadays seem to be far too wrapped up in their mobile devices to notice what's going on in the world around them anyway. Try asking people how many swallows they've seen this year and most of them wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about!

They miss so much because they are no longer interested in the world around them, only in the little screen under their nose and what other people are saying about them when they haven't got it switched on. Who wants to live like that? I certainly don't!

Apart from that, I am a glass at least half full person and it certainly will be in a few hours' time as I think I deserve a reward for all the painting, cleaning, washing, scrubbing and general property and garden maintenance I've managed to achieve this week!

Ideal abode in retirement? Well, that has to be an Elizabethan timber framed, wattle and daub cottage in the middle of a large field full of nettles with as many cats,donkeys, hedgehogs etc as I can accommodate and with a large sign which can be seen for miles which announces "Four legs welcome, two legs (apart from birds) keep out!

• Upvote 6

Sounds nice Ian. Where did you find this one?

Will do! I'll have an extra £2 on the Lottery.

Strange thing,when I was a kid- older folk fascinated me.

George Tetley who was in ww1,was gassed,he went to work as a crossings man at Whittle on Sea, ( is that a place?). Anyway he was a lovely soul who was gentle and gave a pesky kid like me real time.

My Gran relayed stories about her days as a Tiller girl...and when she came off the road and settled.

When Looks Familiar came on TV..I was made up!

Same here, Ian.

I was never a welcome visitor when we went to see elderly relatives during my childhood because all I wanted to do was subject them to the third degree about their childhood and their lives and if they had any photograph albums, I'd pester the living daylights out of them to let me have a look through the pictures!

Suggestions that I might like to go outside and play with the other children in the neighborhood were swiftly rejected by me in favour of asking yet more questions which were usually ignored. Elderly people in those days believed that children should be seen and not heard and, more to the point, they certainly shouldn't be asking impertinent questions, so most of the time, I was told to mind my own business or that I wanted to know too much!

It proved very frustrating when I reached my teenage years and started to research the family tree as in those days, there was no Internet and information had to be searched for in various places such as archivists offices and visiting various members of the clergy to look at parish registers. When I did find anything out, I would often inform the elderly relatives about it only to have them turn around and tell me that they already knew and could have told me that!

Of course, they've all gone now but I'm still digging about trying to find information.

It was quite the opposite for me, Jill.

Between the ages of 14 and 16 or so, every other Sunday night meant a trip by bus to my Gran's in Hucknall. My grandfather died soon after I was born. He was a railway engine driver out in Ceylon, and the pair of them lived the colonial life with a bungalow and servants. The stories she told, and the photographs she pulled out, were always the same. I can almost recite some of the stories, and I have several of the photographs, including one of my dad from around 1916 in his sailor's suit. He died in 1988, at 82. Mum died in 2012 at 97, two weeks after my wife's mother, at 96.

The odd thing is, I have only sketchy recall of dad's life story, and there is nobody now alive who can shed any light on it.

• Upvote 1