hi ya'll, does anyone recall a coal office on Mansfield Road just near the brewery on the right going out of Nottingham? My wife worked there in the fifties. She would love to see a photo of the location because every picture of Mansfield Road just seems to miss it.

sir guy

This is a bit of an extreme enlargement, but you might be able to see it on here. Presumably you are talking about somewhere near the junction of Portland Street, which was the road to the side of the brewery.

mansfieldrd_zpsfzoyed8r.jpg

thanks but it is too indistinct for any kind of recognition. I need a street level photo really. I have no idea where it was actually except it was on Mansfield road frontage. I'll keep trying.

Welcome to the fountain of knowledge sirguy, I'm certain that someone on here will come up with some interesting information within the next few days. Best of luck.

Are you talking about Mansfield Road, Daybrook, or Mansfield Road, Nottingham There was a brewery on the right leaving town that was later pulled down for an office block, and is now a big space.

Welcome to Nottstalgia sirguy. What they don't know on this site isn't worth knowing and they've never let me down. I reckon Cliff Ton's got a magic wand when it comes to obscure Nottingham photographs. He produces em like rabbits out of a hat!

• Upvote 1

Are you talking about Mansfield Road, Daybrook, or Mansfield Road, Nottingham There was a brewery on the right leaving town that was later pulled down for an office block, and is now a big space.

I'd forgotten about that possibility ! When I first read Mansfield Road and Brewery, I thought of Daybrook. sirguy says that the place was known as "Gell's Coal Office."

William Gell (Coal Merchant) had an office at 42 Mansfield Road, which is two up from the Rose of England pub (No. 38). So Number 42 was in the space occupied by the former petrol station between York House and the Rose of Engand. So far I haven't found a photo of it, but.....

• Upvote 1

Another satisfied customer then Cliff !

• Upvote 1

Thinking of coal distributors, I remember the office of Amos Coal Suppliers and Haulage Merchants which was on the corner of Bobbers Mill Road and Fretwell Street when I was a child. It was run by Ronald Amos and prior to that by his father. Ron and his family lived just round the corner from us on Alfreton Road and his father lived at the top of Bobbers Mill Road.

Their haulage yard was on Plantation Side. As my sister went to school with Ron's daughter Jill Amos, we often went round to the yard where we sat and made tea in an old caravan in the school holidays.

Ron eventually gave up the business and they moved to Matlock to run a pub.

Although the coal office was directly across the road from our house, we always ordered our coal from William Young of Thames Street in Bulwell. I believe he still lives there. He was very reliable which was the only sort of person my mother would deal with!