To christen or not to christen?

This has been an interesting discussion so far. Also it has shown that it is possible for the Nottstalgia Community to tackle some potentially very emotive stuff without coming to blows.

As far as I can see, nobody has insulted anyone else, at least not directly. Believers and non believers alike have had their say.

This is as it should be.

FWIW, on the 'non believer' side, I don't believe that all religion is about social control. Clearly much 'formal' religion is, or certainly was in the past,. Yet there were also examples of great courage and sacrifice to the benefit of all.

On the 'believer' side, I don't think we can say that 'Christ just stated 'the facts'. I think we can say that it is recorded in some texts that 'Christ revealed his message'.

Personally I can't suspend disbelief, so I'm left with the grim prospect of putting my faith in man, rather than any God. I don't think I'm alone and it will just have to do, but it also just might mean that man has to work a bit harder to get along.

I still firmly believe that faith can only be a very personal thing. It is not logical to think that faith can be imposed. Compliance can be imposed, through fear. Faith can't. This doesn't mean that the faithful have to be alone, because I'm sure it is wonderful to share one's joy in faith, so long as that faith is well founded and personally held.

Oddly, as a confirmed atheist, I find churches to be very inspiring places, and the great cathedrals even more so. But then they are built by man....

But then I daresay some of the faithful would claim that the inspiration for the great churches came from God...

I think this is where we came in... :)

Col

• Upvote 3

#23 Yes, I have no problem with Pastor Dave, John. Pastor is a named position in Scripture and it is a term of respect. A lot to live up to. As noted the problem I have is with those who use some hifalutin title to lord it over others.

Col. I agree with you that it is a pleasure to be able to discuss potentially emotive subjects respectfully. While many of us may not agree it does not need to be offensive and as far as I am concerned it has not been. I think many problems arise from the nature of the internet. It's anonymity can lead us to say things we should not or to be misunderstood and offense taken when none is intended. For myself I see ya'll on NS as friends and have no desire to offend or hurt anyone's feelings. That said, on occasion I feel like I need to clarify some of what we believe and that can offend some.

It grieves my heart that many have rejected Christianity without ever fully understanding exactly what it teaches. For that I blame the churches and preachers, priests or whatever they call themselves. Too many just want a big crowd rather than a well taught one.

I attended a Methodist Sunday School from about the age of five to about twelve when I took a paper route and had to deliver on Sundays. I wanted an excuse to get out anyway. I heard some stories about Jesus and was encouraged to live a good life but I was never told why such a good man as Jesus was crucified by the very people who should have been glad to have Him. So I left not much wiser than I went in. I still have the Bible they presented to me when I left in 1960. The print has shrunk though. :biggrin:

I went back to church when I met my late wife. She was C of E. Didn't find much more there than I had in the Methodist church but we wanted to be married there so figured we'd better attend.

Long story here so I will cut it short if anyone wants to know it p.m me I'll be happy to share it but not extend this post to pages. LOL

I'll summarize it this way. As you said Col, faith cannot be imposed. I was puzzled by many events in my life and one night I simply prayed words to the effect of "God, I don't get it. If you are real and what the Bible says is true please show me."

I didn't expect an answer, but I sure got one. That's the long story bit. So if you want it you'll have to ask.

Suffice it to say it changed my life. Renewed my marriage and made a different guy of me. If anyone had told me I would enter the ministry I would have laughed at them. I'm retired now but I had twelve good years in it.

I had a great fear of death. My dad died young of cancer. I was always terrified a little bump or ache in my body might be the beginning of the end. That has all gone I now see death as an adventure and look forward to meeting so many again.

The Christian life has always been painted as miserable. Can't drink, can't dance, can't cuss. Gotta wear my clothes a certain way and on and on. Some things I now don't want to do, but not because some preacher says so, and I have no desire to tell anyone else what they can or can't do. That's between them and the Lord not me. My job as a preacher is to tell folks what the Bible says. How they respond to that is up to them.

Christians are painted as ignorant hicks who can't think for themselves. I had a technical education and still like to ask scientific questions. I don't check my brains at the door.

I'm starting to ramble. That's enough!

Thanks to all who have posted for their respectful and interesting posts.

• Upvote 9

We never had any of our 5 kids christened, even though both my wife and I were brought up as C of E. we are not overly religious but do have our own personal beliefs.

Our belief was that no child should be pressured or forced into any religious order, we decided that it should be left for them to make up their own minds when old enough to understand and do so.

Now all grown up, only one, the eldest daughter, who through marriage was sequested to become roman catholic, their children are all educated at RC schools and attend the usual RC mass etc. not my choice but nothing to do with us.

I feel the same way as Dave, I've felt Jesus guiding me, no other explanation, I don't believe in organized religion, Jesus taught in the open air, one of the only times he was in a temple, was to throw the money lenders out, Zionists???

I think we all get to the 'Pearly gates'................then its up to our 'Pete' wether we get in or not.................

• Upvote 1

funny+picture+of+man+at+pearly+gates+-+y

Just thought this was amusing.

Col

• Upvote 1

Oh go on Jill........i'll be there looking after your Cats.......and we can 'wax lyrical about Marsdens whilst strumming me Harp, and the price of Sugar.........lol.

• Upvote 1

One for Jill

bm-image-770427.gif

• Upvote 2

Loads of these out there..

pearly-gates.png

Col

• Upvote 2
atheism-atheist-heaven-cartoon.gif
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...

A follow-on from RR's post here and considering the dire situation we are in, here is the St Matthew Passion (J S Bach). Perfect for Palm Sunday for believers and, well, just perfect for everyone else.

• Like 1