Funny bumped into my old 'bin-man' this morning,i was also at Padstow school with him,.....nicest bloke you could wish to meet,always a smile on his face,but when he'd finished telling me who had gone to the great 'bin-lorry' in the sky and his forthcoming by-pass operation.....it dampened my spirits a bit.

Then bumped into two more old school mates which was nice,and ffinally Mr and Mrs Catfan which of course was a pleasure,then hair cut and tash trim in 'Geezers' young lady cut it,and as usuall I asked if she thought i'd Pull' tonight,she convinced me I wouldn't,so think i'll stop in.

• Upvote 4

,Three cheers to Lonny Donegan, for My old man,s a Dustman.....am I to late ? no jump upon the cart....

Dennis..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Looking for your recycle bin when it's been emptied every fortnight is an occupation in itself round here. if my neighbour is around, he will normally bring the bins back into my garden for me but if not, you can bet your bottom dollar when I get home from work at least one of them will be missing.

I have lost count of the occasions when I simply could not find my glass, tin, plastics, etc recycling bin even though the house number is clearly displayed on the front of it.

A few months ago, I made enquiries at neighbouring houses and no one knew anything about it. There are occasions when these bins fall into the crusher and get mashed up but normally the men will leave a note if that has happened to yours. As there was no note and the neighbours didn't know anything about it, I emailed the local council and told them that my bin had disappeared and I would appreciate another one. Expecting to wait until the next emptying date before the new one arrived, I was amazed to find a replacement on the drive the next day when I arrived home from work so I sent the the council a glowing email praising them for their efficiency and thanking them very much.

What turned up on my drive the next day? You guessed it! It was my prodigal recycling bin although where it had spent the previous week I will probably never know. Perhaps it had BIN on holiday!

The upshot of this tale is that I now have a spare recycling bin and I suppose the honest thing to have done would have been to email the council and ask them to fetch it back. A bit naughty really but I didn't do that and I use it to store kindling for my multi fuel stove.

Don't tell anyone will you?

• Upvote 4

Our trash collection is by a private company, twice a week for regular trash, fortnightly for recycling. All trash cans are buried in the ground, next to the driveway. The men are the most cheerful folks you could meet. The truck moves along the road a section at a time, and 3 men follow behind RUNNING! They each push a large bin on a dolly, and run from house to house. Get to each bin, flip the lid with their foot, bend down and lift the metal dustbin out, tip it in their big bin, drop it back in the hole and flip the lid down again by foot then run to the next house. When their own bin is full run to the truck and empty it. If you happen to be outside they wave and say Hi. They deserve their Christmas box.

• Upvote 6

So there's this guy standing by his garden gate when the bin lorry drives slowly past. The driver yells out to the guy "where's you bin". The guy by the gate looks all flustered and answers "On me holidays".

The driver repeats his call "no you're wheeally bin". The guy by the gate looking even more flustered replies "I've wheally bin in prison but don't tell everyone".

• Upvote 2

We have a bin for general waste 140 litres collected weekly, a recycling bin 240 litres and a green waste bin 240 litres collected alternate weeks. which are usually full each collection day

Years ago we had a small galvanised iron bin that was rarely full when collected.

Where did all this rubbish we dispose of come from, must be packaging and the fact that people no longer have chooks and pigs to feed the food scraps to

It is packaging........we had bins which contained ashes, peelings, tin cans, bottles and every other sort of rubbish, collected weekly, no arguments, just got on with it.......nowadays, it's an offence to put stuff in our own dustbins and the bin men refuse to take it and you get fined.........this Country has certainly gone to the dogs..................Wish I was younger, I would emigrate to New Zealand, our friends went there over 40 years ago and life is great.......

........and some people round here still leave them a tip at Christmas!

What kind of tip....a rubbish tip? LOL

• Upvote 1

# 13 Bubblewrap........We never really have any trouble in our district, Newthorpe.......but I know areas who do..........My daughter has friends in student accomodation and there are overflowing bins all over the street, the place are looks disgusting, better not say where, or I'll be in trouble.....

• 2 weeks later...

Where's your bin................I've a bin decorating at my daughter's house, all day - honest  !!!!!.

Last Thursday the garden waste bin was left un-emptied, excuse wrong waste in bin. Being a gardener I was intrigued as I know what garden waste is and what it is used for.

I went after the bin lorry and asked for an explanation, "We can't take food or kitchen waste" said he "just look at the pictures on the label I left on your bin" They were referring to ..........................tomatoes. Also no apple cores, no banana skins of stubs of carrot.

I didn't argue with the man but rang the people responsible and was lucky enough to get to talk to a 'waste manager', I gently explained the difference between compostable food waste and non-compostable food waste, I even offered to compile a list of compostable waste for his team to use quoting my fee of £550-00p.

It won't change owt but I felt better and I got me bin emptied the very next day.

• Upvote 1
On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 11:12 AM, philmayfield said:

........and some people round here still leave them a tip at Christmas!

That reminded me of a story my late dad told me a long time ago. Both my dad and granddad were both bin men working for West Bridgford Urban District Council back in the sixties. One Christmas my granddad had just emptied a bin when a man came out of his house. He took his off his cap and said ' merry Christmas, I'm the man who empties your bin ' the man just walks past him and says ' Arr, and I'm the bloke who fills, it now f**k off! '. My dad said he and his crew absolutely peed themselves and said my grandads' face was a picture! I never did tire of that story...

• Upvote 1

Wish we had bins. We have a yellow box for paper, plastic sacks for cans and plastic, small green plastic bag for non- recycleable objects. If you live in the village kitchen waste is collected twice a week. Plastic and paper / cans go into huge bins scattered around. ( no doubt you've seen them) Paper and Non recycleable every monday, plastic alternate weeks. If you live in the country like us kitchen waste should be put in a huge compost bin which the council provides. We got rid of ours as it attracted rats. So now my husband takes it to put in restaurants bins.