Can anyone recall what amounted to a makeshift Cinema at Clifton in the mid fifties?

Vague memories of a Large Wooden Hut, situated near to what is now the Tower Block of Flats opposite St. Francis Church, which at that time was a work in progress. (the Church that is).

I remember going as a Child to see a Film.... I know it starred Alan Ladd and was about the Canadian Mounties.

Must have been the first proper Film I had seen.

I don't know whether this was just a 'one off' but I can't remember going again.

Lived at Clifton 1953 to 1969 and never knew whether there was any other Cinema on the Estate during that time.

I know the area you mean because we lived very close to it. As well as the later tower block, there was also the Youth Club and Community Centre. I don't remember any "cinema" but maybe I was just too young. But this photo of early Clifton Estate during construction might give a clue

The triangle at top right is the junction of Southchurch Drive / Farnborough Road, and there is an empty space where St Francis church would be. The cinema site is obviously being used as a builders yard; on the Farnborough Road edge is a long dark building (site hut) - maybe that became an all-purpose room / cinema once the builders had all finished.

clifton_zpsiwzksfxf.jpg

• 1 month later...

There was a makeshift cinema in a long wooden hut at the side of what used to be Frank Tattons garage and petrol station on Southchurch drive (near the Coop),I have seen westerns there of a Saturday morning in the early 60's

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

The old Wimpey hut was used as a temporary church prior to the building by the local

congregation of what is now St Francis Church. It was also used as a cinema - my father organised the films and acted as projectionist initially. 

Princess Margaret visited the estate and the temporary church and my mother was chosen to show her round the exhibition that had been set up for the occasion. 

• Upvote 2

Nice to see CCGGS58 appearing on Nottstalgia. Can you give us any more information about yourself ?  You probably lived fairly close to where I lived.

It's about time another former Clifton person posted summat on this site, they were becoming an endangered species.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...
On 30/10/2016 at 3:58 PM, CHGGS58 said:

The old Wimpey hut was used as a temporary church prior to the building by the local

congregation of what is now St Francis Church. It was also used as a cinema - my father organised the films and acted as projectionist initially. 

Princess Margaret visited the estate and the temporary church and my mother was chosen to show her round the exhibition that had been set up for the occasion. 

Hello - I'm guessing you were a Clifton Hall girl?  I was, too - started in 1960.

On 10/08/2016 at 4:26 PM, Cliff Ton said:

I know the area you mean because we lived very close to it. As well as the later tower block, there was also the Youth Club and Community Centre. I don't remember any "cinema" but maybe I was just too young. But this photo of early Clifton Estate during construction might give a clue

The triangle at top right is the junction of Southchurch Drive / Farnborough Road, and there is an empty space where St Francis church would be. The cinema site is obviously being used as a builders yard; on the Farnborough Road edge is a long dark building (site hut) - maybe that became an all-purpose room / cinema once the builders had all finished.

clifton_zpsiwzksfxf.jpg

I remember (vaguely) that hut.  I think it was handed over by the builders and used by - amongst others - the Young Wives Club (run by the church, before St Francis was built).  One of the church ladies was called Mary Blackburn and she lived nearby on Homewell ? Walk. They used to serve teas sometimes, and I can remember being amazed at how manny portions she could slice a one shilling Swiss roll into!
So that area in the middle of the photograph must be Greencroft Infant and Junior Schools?  

Do you know the date of the photo, ClffTon?  It must be very early Fifties, as most of Greencroft and Varney Road haven't been built on?

Yes it's early 50s and the schools in the middle are Greencroft Infants and Juniors - where I went (once they'd been built and finished).  The road running almost horizontally along the bottom of the photo is Brinkhill Crescent, with Greencroft (the road) curving diagonally across the middle.

If Benjamin is reading this, his Marsden's on Varney Road hadn't been built yet. It would be on the short stretch of road which runs horizontally half way up the right side of the photo.

Varney road Marsdens was one the few that i had little to do with,so don't remember Mr Greenwood,........however spent alot of time at Farrands on Southchurch drive,which i mentioned before........also 3 coops in Clifton.......southchurch,Varney rd and Green lane,all now gone,........by the way Cliff-ton your last maps/photos are not coming up.......is it just me ?