I see the RHL is closed south of Kirkby over the coming Bank Holiday weekend, so that the old bridge at Hucknall station can be replaced. Trains to/from Nottingham Kirkby and Mansfield are still running, so I guess they are being diverted via Ilkeston, Langley Mill and Pinxton. A rare chance to use the Pye Bridge to Kirkby line. I think it was last used like this when they were building the Tramway to Hucknall.

The Midland General B8, remember it well. One and a half hours from Mansfield (near the current Mansfield town station) to Nottingham (Huntingdon Street)

The blind used to say Blidworth, Hucknall, Bestwood. The rather circuitous route was often serviced by a double decker that had a sunken gangway down the drivers side of the bus with four passenger bench seats on the left. Very hard for the clippie to get the fares of the passengers near the windows. Can't remember the make or model of the bus but I am sure Stephen or someone else will know.

The ones with the sunken gangways were AEC Regents (although there were a few wartime Guy Arabs that may have made an appearance now and then). Later the B8 was Bristol Lodekkas which had a low (downstairs) floor level, allowing the upstairs to have the normal centre aisle layout within a reduced overall height. I think it was the railway bridge on Moor Road, near Bestwood village, that required low height deckers.

• Upvote 1

The long way round to regain the Robin Hood line to Mansfield and Worksop adds about twenty minutes to the normal timetable schedule

DiversionsMap6_zpsrs3x0zmn.png

The actual times are now available on the Web. Normally, Kirkby to Nottm is around 25 min, using Thursday morning as a guide. With the diversion they are 31-39 min on the Saturday morning, depending on the train. There would be no intermediate station stops to slow the train down.

• 3 weeks later...

That makes a lot more sense - although I remember back in the 1980s or whenever it was when BR were angling to close that bit of line, services to Sheffield were sent via Toton on a regular basis. Thankfully it didn't last long.

Maybe that map was nothing to do with the diversions.