points on yer licence

When you get your insurance renewal "Your Policy Schedule" if inaccurate will invalidate your insurance or future claims, they are asking you if anything as changed it the last year. You can also check your licence details in minutes online.

So 8/9 years ago Mrs Red had a small 107 Peugeot, she put me down as a named driver on her insurance, she was not aware I had 3 points & so did not tell them, years later the 3 points where removed from my licence, on renewing Mrs Reds insurance I mentioned to her insurance that I no longer had any points, they went back 4 years said we owned £180 + £45 administration fee from year 2005, £140 + £45 admin for year 2006. £105 + £45 admin for year 2007, £80 + £45 admin year 2007 about £700 quid in total. So not them I will not be renewing I'll go elsewhere, oh no I'm just transferring you to the fraud department, I managed to pay just one admin fee, but ended up paying the rest, or I'd have been in court! Strangely I never ever drove that car!  So be careful.   

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I try to stick to the speed limit in Nottingham as they are so red-hot with the cameras but find I need to put my foot down occasionally on the motorway just to keep my concentration going, can't be d

I got 3pts and a fine for crossing a red light near the motorway in Sheffield (my fault hands up) gave the Copper some patter about how much i loved Sheffield and its people............cut no ice.....

I once put my foot down, really went for it. It was on the Dodgems at Goose Fair 1963, showing off for the lads. I couldn't stop the ble66y thing. Hit the side of the arena, hurt my ribs and bruised m

My previous car had a 'speed beep' facility that could be set to any limit.  I never used it.  Present car has similar I think but I don't use that either.  I do use the Cruise Control though.  Very handy for staying within limits and also for giving your right foot a rest or a stretch on long drives.

I've been caught speeding once. 1988. 38 mph in a 30.  My own fault.  The 3 points are still on my old green licence though they are now expired.  I'm not giving the Govt the price of a new licence as my tatty green one is valid for a couple more years until I'm 70.  Then I suppose I'll have to stump up for a new one. 

I just don't see any point speeding in 30 or 40 limits.  All you get at best, is to be first in the queue at the next red light.  Your journey time is controlled by the lights, so speeding makes little or no difference.

I do think that limits on some roads are now too low.  Miles and miles of the A580 dual carriageway between Manchester and Liverpool are now down to 40 on stretches where there are few intersections and good visibility.  Makes no sense to me.  But, breaking them won't change them.. so best to just chill.

I think the trick on motorways is firstly to drive according to the conditions.  I never cease to be amazed at how some people seem to be able to 'see' in bouncing rain at dusk and still howl along lane 3 at 90 plus.

In decent conditions though, I just tend to match speed to the rest of the non HGV traffic.  That's around 80 ish mostly., but you can get away with a bit quicker so long as you don't either stay in lane 3 at 100mph expecting everyone to get out of your way, or sit in lane 2 at 60 causing an obstruction.

My car knows the way from here to Nottm. and back.  Driving like a lunatic can cut maybe 5-10 minutes off the usual  journey time of about 1 hour 40 mins. Not worth the stress.  1 hour 40 still represents an average speed of 60 +.. which isn't bad.

Col

Mine has cruise control, but I've never used it. Wouldn't know how to ! 

I know it's a little gadget in the steering column that sometimes gets in the way, but that's it as far as I'm concerned !

Too many complications on these computerised thingies !

Cruise control is great.  They claim it even saves gas.  I always got good gas mileage on the interstates going to Canada.  Nothing to it Fly.  Get up to the speed you want and press the button it will hold that speed.  Touch the brake, or press the button again to disconnect.  To re-engage  some even have 'resume'. Press that one and it speeds up to where you had it set before.

Don't do this though.  Can't swear this is true, but it is quite possible.  A lady driving a multi thousand dollar motor home set cruise.  She thought it was like auto pilot on a plane.  Hubby was sleeping in the back so she thought she would just nip to the bog.  They fished the wrecked motor home out of the ditch an hour or two later.  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

I drive in “cruise” most of the time - otherwise I switch the speed limiter on. I can always kick down and override it if the urge comes over me! I’m never in a hurry to get anywhere these days. I bought myself a Lotus for my 70th. birthday treat to use as a track day car but when I got to Cadwell Park I thought “I’m getting a bit too old for this sort of thing” so I just pootled back home!

Col, I pretty sure there is no cost for a new licence at 70, or at least I cannot remember paying so it might just be old age.

If I go back into the 80s I have to admit I drove well over the limit every day, I used to do 50.000 miles a year to different sites all over the country, back then it could make a difference. You could get on a motorway get to a ton and stay there now with all the traffic it is just not worth the effort and stress, apart from which those overhead cameras on the gantries seem to be getting more and more prevalent. We were coming down from junction 28 last week and the signs read 50mph a car came past well over the speed limit and my lad said watch this, and sure enough as the car went under the speed limit sign it started to flash, that would be one ticket in the post then.

2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Mine has cruise control, but I've never used it. Wouldn't know how to ! 

I know it's a little gadget in the steering column that sometimes gets in the way, but that's it as far as I'm concerned !

Too many complications on these computerised thingies !

Dead easy in my 13 year old Civic.  Just get up to speed then press 'Set'.   Pressing 'Cancel', touching brake or clutch disengages Cruise.  Then press 'Resume' and it will take you back to the previously set speed.  You can also accellerate and decellerate using buttons on the Cruise control.

Renewed my licence at 70 earlier this year and can confirm that there is no fee payable. I did my application on line but by doing it online had to give up the 7.5 GVW and mini bus categories, would have to have completed a paper app if I had wanted to retain these. The new licence came within the week, and as I was able to cross reference the DVLA to The passport office, they were able to obtain my mug shot from them.

Told my friend to renew his online, but he fell foul of the scam whereby if you don't take care and click on something other than the official government site, you fill out the app and are asked for a fee of £60 for their assistance in helping you!! Just be aware and don't click on the wrong 'un !

• Like 1

Thanks chaps.  Good to know that I won't have to pay to get my new licence at 70.  However, I'm pretty sure that If I'd decided to 'cash in' my ancient tatty green paper licence to get the points taken off, I'd have had to pay for a couple of new ones by now.  Result!

The static speed, red light and average speed cameras are well signposted here so if you get caught by one of those you are stupid.

The local radio stations regularly broadcast where the mobile cameras are. The SA Police publish on the web where they will be policing speed so if you take time to research any journey you should not get booked.

I agree with many other postings that using the satnav speed warning or the one built in to your car can stop you getting a ticket.

I refuse to voluntarily contribute to government coffers (they only waste it anyway) so I just don't speed anymore.

I have often thought to offer my services on a commission basis to drive along our major roads at the stated speed limit and photograph every car that flies past me. I should not have to work for more than two days a week to earn a handsome income.

Interestingly a favourite place for a speed camera on the main highway between Melbourne and Sydney is a town call Bookham, who would have guessed?

What always amazes me is that people get so indignant about getting caught and about 'hidden' cameras.. etc. 

Let's try that another way.  " I was robbin' this 'ere bank and there woz this Coppa.. an 'e woz 'idin behind a tree',,  that ain't a fair cop Guv'nor..  "

If the speed limits are either clearly signed, or are clearly outlined in 'the rules', then you can't really complain about getting caught.

There's a kind of schizophrenia going on here..  We moan if we get caught speeding.. but we also moan if 'the fuzz', don't catch the burglars who 'robbed' our house.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Col, I don't think people get indignant, but I think they get annoyed, and mad with themselves for being caught. We all know the consequences.

It does seem to be awkward on some roads to stay at 20, or 30. Take Oxclose Lane for example. Dual carriageway, two lanes each, but the limit was recently lowered from 40 to 30. At 30, if I'm in fourth  the engine is over revving, if I'm in fifth, then there aren't sufficient revs to utilise it. 

I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone caught speeding. Wether we agree with the speed limit or not, that's the limit.

Speeding motorists in my view are selfish, nothing else.

12 accrued penalty points in 5 years should mean a retest.

Seen far too many dead people on the roads over the years.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Surely everyone is at some time or other liable to make a slight error of judgement, and should NOT be ostracised unnecessarily.

Its the clowns who recklessly ignore the limit, and are a danger to the public who should be taken of the road at 12 points or less.

• Like 1

Not long after I passed my test many moons ago. 

Master brought me a Toyota coupe and I'm sorry to say but this Ford was in my way, to cut a long story short, I had to go to court and needless to say they did me for driving "with out due care and attention" me I ask you, any way at the time I stood in the dock and I think with me shaking so much the magistrate felt sorry for me, all though he still gave me points and a find.

Similar situation to that island that jumped out in front of me at the end of the Victoria Embankment near the Toll Bridge Mary.

So inconvenient ! LOL........ Oh, and expensive !

Oz, regarding the sat nav warning beeps. This I find most annoying. I very rarely use mine, as I love planning any unknown route with my  atlas and maps. It's especially irritating on Mways as the bleddy thing pips every few seconds, and has come very close to being propelled out of the window several times ! 

I will say one last thing (well maybe) on this subject.

"Let him who is without sin, cast the first stone".

Fly2 My SatNav shows the speed limit of where you are in an icon like the speed limit sign. It only beeps once as you go above the limit and the sign changes to bright red and stays like that until you drop below the limit again. It does this even when you don't have a route programmed. It has saved me from getting a ticket for being a few clicks over the limit on a number of occasions.

It has just been advised on the local news that the fixed cameras on the steep descent into Adelaide from the hills have been fining people in error. Apparently one of the sensors detects the speed of a vehicle in the inside line but the camera takes the photo of a car in one of the other lanes and sends the fine to them.

Hopefully there'll be some recompense for the innocent drivers.

Mine pips if I'm just a couple of mph under the limit, which is irritating beyond belief especially on the Mway.

I don't think many of us would ostracise the normal motorist who gets it a bit wrong on occasion.  To be honest I was lucky to get away with just speeding when I got my only fine.  I was busy watching the ignition warning light on an old FIAT 127 to see how fast I needed to go to get it to go off, and only saw the PC with the 'gun' at the last moment.  I suppose I could have also got 'due care etc.'

All a bit different to a friend of mine who went on endlessly about getting caught more than once on a stretch of the road from Liverpool to Widnes. I kept repeating to him that if he knew the limit and what's more knew that this was a favoutrite spot for speed traps, then he only had himself to blame. I was reminded of Lady Bracknell's response in 'The Importance of Being Earnest'.  " To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.:)

Col

3 hours ago, FLY2 said:

I will say one last thing (well maybe) on this subject.

"Let him who is without sin, cast the first stone".

I will agree with you FLY. very easy to stray 2-3 mph over the limit, early in my driving career I got done twice for speeding & no enforcement cameras in those days either ! My own stupid fault, tell you what I learned from that stupidity the hard way, no one to blame except myself  !

What really does me are those motorists who drive at excessive speed thinking they have a divine right to drive wrecklessly, which what it is.

I would love to see speed cameras on every street.

• Like 1

Yes, easy to stray over a bit but...in 45 years driving averaging nearly 20k a year until recently, I've only been done twice, 1983 and 2006. Both my speeding fines were SP30s, less than 35 mph and within a mile of my home. I would say sometimes I've been a very lucky bogger though.

Never had a ticket in all the years I've been licensed to drive, was lucky once, but a semi trailer saved me in Australia, the cop couldn't do a uturn and the road was too narrow for him to overtake the semi.  I was sat in my driveway with lights off when the semi passed with the cop following with lights flashing. I'll bet the semi driver was laughing his socks off. There was a rule in NSW law that unless the cop saw you pull into your driveway, he couldn't book you, so I was home and safe.

These days I'm to tight to hand over easy money to the city or county, so always drive below the speed limit, but on saying that, we don't have speed traps in rural areas and most of our small towns can't afford such things. speed cameras are rare over here as it's just too easy to fight them under the Constitution, you can demand to see your accuser in court, and as a camera is an inanimate object, it's not counted.