points on yer licence

Noticed in the post today how the ng post code is one of the areas that have drivers with 12 points on their licence and not banned. I think that if you have accumulated 12 points then you must have a total disregard for the law and don’t care if you are a danger to others. Most people have broken the speed limit at some time I know I have once 3 points £60 fine but I learned to watch my speed and not done it again. That is the lesson we all should learn

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I try to stick to the speed limit in Nottingham as they are so red-hot with the cameras but find I need to put my foot down occasionally on the motorway just to keep my concentration going, can't be d

I got 3pts and a fine for crossing a red light near the motorway in Sheffield (my fault hands up) gave the Copper some patter about how much i loved Sheffield and its people............cut no ice.....

I once put my foot down, really went for it. It was on the Dodgems at Goose Fair 1963, showing off for the lads. I couldn't stop the ble66y thing. Hit the side of the arena, hurt my ribs and bruised m

A woman's voice in my car (no - not my wife) tells me if I'm exceeding the speed limit. It's a bit irritating but a possible points saver. You can get the warnings from your smartphone as well if you download the appropriate app. No fun in driving anymore!

I got a couple of speeding convictions in my teens.

Kept a clean license for the past 45 years, having driven many, many miles to earn a living too.

Been lucky & like philmayfield say's, no fun in driving anymore.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Went to Tamworth earlier this year for a meeting with 2 colleagues from work. One of em drove like a maniac all the way there and back. 100 plus mph with often no hands on the wheel, kept turning round to talk to me!

Boy was I glad I'd made a will! Never been so glad to get home in my life. Next time, I'll go in my own car!

• Upvote 4

I once put my foot down, really went for it. It was on the Dodgems at Goose Fair 1963, showing off for the lads. I couldn't stop the ble66y thing. Hit the side of the arena, hurt my ribs and bruised my ego. Dint pull that night. DOH. :biggrin:

• Upvote 5

There's definitely nothing wrong with a blast on the Mway. 85+ is perfectly safe in the hands of a good experienced driver.

Never had a speeding ticket in my life.

I got a letter through the post a couple of months ago re. going through a red light by 1 second. Anything up to 3 seconds and they gave you the option to go on the course instead of taking the points. I did the cause for £92.50. Seems like a lot but the insurance, as I'm still a youngster, would have rocketed if I'd have had to declare the points and offence.

• Upvote 1

I try to stick to the speed limit in Nottingham as they are so red-hot with the cameras but find I need to put my foot down occasionally on the motorway just to keep my concentration going, can't be doing with following the same vehicle for miles and miles.

We travelled half way up France on Tuesday, a distance of 260 miles and averaged 80 mph. However their motorways are a lot quieter than ours

The following day the average speed went down somewhat as we negotiated the Paris Peripherique, stop and starting.

The slowest part of the journey home was yesterday, M25, M1. Accidents and roadworks. Frustrating to say the least but it's now back to driving around Nottingham and struggling to average 15 mph.

• Upvote 6

#11 Melissa, I remember when you added the post about the red light, I told Chris about it and we took it on board. When ever we are approaching lights now, Chris always says "One second red" and doesn't try to get through. I always think of you, when he says it. There you go Gel, you made us more careful drivers. :)

• Upvote 2

Nice thing about driving around Nottingham is how there's very little congestion since the visionary Council introduced the Workplace Parking Levy and installed a tram system. Marvellous!

It is common knowledge that Nottingham's red light 'hot spot' used to be Forest Road but according to a FOI request by eSure to DVLA, it is now Nuttall Road roundabout and Valley Road. Both made national top ten for 2015.

Some insurance companies ask at renewal time if you have attended any courses during the previous year.

do they teach how to use an Indicator on these courses as well ???

Putting my foot down on the open road is the only place I can do it.

I rarely get the chance to put my foot down at home! LOL

Remember on one of my trips home several years back, I picked up the hire car at Heathrow and fairly jet lagged, set off round the M25 to the M1 then sort of sat there in the outside lane on a 100, stopped for a coffee at one of the service areas and suddenly realised my speedo was in MPH not my normal Kilometers per hour !

When I told our son who lives and drives heaps there , he said no worries there's never any police cars now on the motorway anyway. But I know now they have these cameras timing over a distance so wouldn't get away with it now maybe.

Mind IMO most seem in way too much of a hurry on the motorways now than when we lived there, no matter how fast one goes, there's always some nuthead wants to go faster or overtake.

There's definitely nothing wrong with a blast on the Mway. 85+ is perfectly safe in the hands of a good experienced driver.

Never had a speeding ticket in my life.

its not the "good experienced drivers" that are the problem its the reckless ones that are. Accidents are usually caused by the bad drivers, so it doesn’t matter if you are a good driver.

• Upvote 1

Most modern cars and vans are capable of substantially exceeding 100mph. Would most people buy any models that were restricted to, say', 90mph? I think not. When I'm cruising along a motorway at the legal maximum it's amazing how many cars and vans fly past me at high speed. I drive a sportscar which is bright red and has a personalised plate. This makes me a prime target for the police. I get my driving fun on the twisting roads far from the madding crowd or, in the past, on tracks such as Donnington or Cadwell. I'm also a magnet for white vans who want to drive up my backside and race me away from the lights. I'm really of an age when I should be driving a Nissan Micra!

Accidents are usually caused by the bad drivers, so it doesn’t matter if you are a good driver.

The problem is that almost everyone believes they are a good driver. Most people will claim that, in any situation, it was the other person who was wrong and driving badly.

How many times do you hear of an incident where a driver says "Yes, that was my mistake".

• Upvote 1