points on yer licence

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I try to stick to the speed limit in Nottingham as they are so red-hot with the cameras but find I need to put my foot down occasionally on the motorway just to keep my concentration going, can't be d

I got 3pts and a fine for crossing a red light near the motorway in Sheffield (my fault hands up) gave the Copper some patter about how much i loved Sheffield and its people............cut no ice.....

I once put my foot down, really went for it. It was on the Dodgems at Goose Fair 1963, showing off for the lads. I couldn't stop the ble66y thing. Hit the side of the arena, hurt my ribs and bruised m

I got a sympathetic hearing from the M62 police when they pulled me over in my 20 year old Volvo estate late at night for having no MOT. 'Clearly it is a well maintained car' they said 'but 3 months oversight by you is more than we can ignore. Shall we say a non endorsable fixed penalty?'. I recognised that that question was not an invitation to negotiate - and indeed a £60 fine, no points on my licence and strong advice to get it MOT'd first thing in the morning was very reasonable.

• Upvote 2

I got pulled in WB for speeding, in a .................corpo bus !

I had learned years before about the "attitude" test, be contrite & apologetic & don't try to be clever either. Policemen have heard all the excuses before.

A friendly chat soon sorted that out, no ticket !

• Like 1

#13. Hourra! La belle fantastique et Jacque retour au foyer en Angleterre, (Apologies for murdering the French language)

• Upvote 1

Years ago in Italy I got a speeding ticket and fine. Can't remember the amount but points could not be taken off my license as it was still a UK one. Had to change it by law ....shame really.

I was once being driven in Italy by an Italian citizen in a car with Swiss plates and when stopped for speeding he showed the police his New Jersey driver's licence. This caused such confusion that he was waved on. Not so the poor woman in the Fiat 500 who was stopped at the same time!

• Upvote 1

I got 3pts and a fine for crossing a red light near the motorway in Sheffield (my fault hands up) gave the Copper some patter about how much i loved Sheffield and its people............cut no ice..........they were from Rotherham.............

• Upvote 6

Got three back in Ontario in the 70s. Came to a stop sign miles from anywhere. I could see the road for a couple of miles in both directions. So I didn't quite stop. What I didn't see was the cop hiding in a gateway down the road. As soon as I pulled out so did he and I knew I'd had it.

No explanations would please him. His response was, "that's how accidents happen sir." So I just shurrup and took the ticket. The three points bugged me more than the fine.

#13. Hourra! La belle fantastique et Jacque retour au foyer en Angleterre, (Apologies for murdering the French language)

Merci Chulla, c'est agreeable d'etre a la maison!

• Upvote 2

Some years ago I was driving along the A5 approaching Dunstable and knew that a police car had been following me for ages so I was driving perfectly! I stopped at red traffic lights and two armed police got out and walked up to my car. Gulp! I looked at them, then down at the guns in holsters, smiled sweetly and said "Are you expecting trouble?!!" They were nice lads luckily and they then told me that my rear tyres were on the wrong way round ......... all to do with the way the tread goes on those particular tyres. I knew how that had happened ..... my husband had had the wheels off to get the alloys tarted up (I'm not great at parking by a kerb!) and he'd put them back on the wrong way! It was just a warning but they told me to get the tyres sorted immediately as it was an offence.

I've only had one speeding fine, 37 in a 30 limit and only 300 yds from home. I've been lucky.

• Upvote 4

I got a sympathetic hearing from the M62 police when they pulled me over in my 20 year old Volvo estate late at night for having no MOT. 'Clearly it is a well maintained car' they said 'but 3 months oversight by you is more than we can ignore. Shall we say a non endorsable fixed penalty?'. I recognised that that question was not an invitation to negotiate - and indeed a £60 fine, no points on my licence and strong advice to get it MOT'd first thing in the morning was very reasonable.

As this thread is about points on yer licence, it might be worth noting that you can't get points for no MOT, just a financial penalty. Of course your insurance might be invalidated; that's another matter.

I have driven double decker buses that do 80 mph, my Mercedes sprinter will do over 80. Don't need to do that, I don't get paid on mileage. All those in favour of safer driving raise your right foot.

• Upvote 3

Well I'm all for safer and higher standards in driving but some of the speed limits now being imposed are becoming ridiculous. It's almost impossible to drive anywhere in Derbyshire at over 50 and some A roads in Notts are strangely restricted. The A617 towards Newark at 50, north of Oxton roundabout on a dual carriageway at 50, Lowdham roundabout to over Gunthorpe Bridge At 40. I think the man with a red flag walking in front will soon be here.

• Upvote 1

When we came here 30 years ago, there was a gas crisis, and they had lowered the speed limit on the freeways to 55mph, which on these big open roads, was very slow. As things improved it was raised to 65 for a while, and has been 75mph for ages now. I set my cruise at 80, usually someone will come flying past!

As this thread is about points on yer licence, it might be worth noting that you can't get points for no MOT, just a financial penalty. Of course your insurance might be invalidated; that's another matter.

No insurance no car…police usually impound it

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Damn, I’ve been done for speeding, got the dreaded letter today.  Only the second speeding offence in 48 years of driving and so close to home too, just like the other one I got about 20 years ago.  

I was caught on A60, Mansfield Road between Valley Road and Woodthorpe Drive at 11.18 at night, no other traffic on the road, didn’t even have to stop at any traffic lights which I suppose didn’t help as I was able to sail along.  I’ll be able to do a Speed Awareness Course thank goodness, at least I’ll keep a clean driving licence.  

Yes, that's the best way of clearing the points Lizzie. You'd better get a Smart car !

Blimey, gimme the loaf anytime ! They look like an escapee from one of Mellors' roundabouts !

I fully expect to see Noddy and Big Ears every time I see one. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On August 14, 2016 at 4:15 PM, NewBasfordlad said:

Don't forget the Ollerton Road, 614 with its time over distance speed cameras.

If I remember rightly NBL. That A614 was pretty dangerous back in the 60s when we drove it to get to some job sites.  Three lane I think with lots of big trucks on there too.    Third lane just for overtaking.  Fine 'til somebody coming the other way got the same idea.  Some horrible wrecks on occasion.  Dread to think what it might be like now unless they've widened it and made it four lane.

All 50 mph as far as Ollerton island. Many cameras, chevrons, closed side roads. 

Drove up today as far as Blaxton. Trouble was, I was behind a 35 mph merchant from Ollerton to Redhill on the return.

Nice countryside though!

14 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

I was caught on A60, Mansfield Road between Valley Road and Woodthorpe Drive 

Are there average speed cameras along there ?  I can't see any on Streetview.  Or was it the van with its rear doors open ?