points on yer licence

I remember my first camera speeding ticket, well.

Came home from work and there was this envelope marked Edmonton Police dept.. Oh!  I wonder why they would be writing to me, thought Loppy.   I opened it and there was a nice photo of the back of my station wagon.  Well what'd ya know!  They've sent me a picture.  It even told me how fast I was going.  Great!  'Til I read the caption.  Here's ya court date or you can pay $80 now and be done wi it.  Not to mention we'll give ya three points on your license.  Miserable so and so's.  I paid up.  What's the point in arguing? :(

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I try to stick to the speed limit in Nottingham as they are so red-hot with the cameras but find I need to put my foot down occasionally on the motorway just to keep my concentration going, can't be d

I got 3pts and a fine for crossing a red light near the motorway in Sheffield (my fault hands up) gave the Copper some patter about how much i loved Sheffield and its people............cut no ice.....

I once put my foot down, really went for it. It was on the Dodgems at Goose Fair 1963, showing off for the lads. I couldn't stop the ble66y thing. Hit the side of the arena, hurt my ribs and bruised m

Not a van with back doors open CliffTon, doubt they’re out at that time of night. It states ACD, the explanation on the accompanying info is that stands for Automatic Camera Device.  There’s a 24 hour bus lane along that stretch but I certainly wasn’t driving in that, think there are cameras to catch bus lane offenders so maybe they catch speeders too. 

They're SPECS cameras on that stretch of Mansfield Road, same as on the ring road, so calculate the average speed between each other. Easiest thing if you have it is to set cruise control to the speed limit and then forget about it.

Wasnt a Tuesday night, was it? 

Bad luck, Lizzie, a quick ninety quid down the pan.

I go along that stretch often, the cameras are near the next set of lights after the big Thakerays Lane Junction up along to Woodthorpe Drive. Average speed, they're not for the bus lane. I bet they catch quite a lot, cars accelerate away from the lights and exceed thirty, missing the first camera by the trees. I have to be extra careful as I don't own a car these days and do most of my personal journeys by motorcycle, easy to exceed limits. 

The speed awareness course doesn't do away with points, you simply don't get them if you attend and even better, you don't have to divulge come insurance renewal time unless specifically asked, which isn't usually the case. My son got caught by a mobile van recently.

One good thing Lizzie, you won't have far to go for your course, as you may have already found, they do it at the Park Inn.

• Upvote 1

I bet you won't change for a Smart buggy though !

They are springing up everywhere, if you drive along the ring road from Mansfield road to the Queens med and trip each set that's your licence gone in one journey.

And of course now the way of assessing fines has changed 24/04/17 it can get very expensive. Minimum £100 plus 3 points, 1 to 10mph over limit 25-75% of weekly wage, 11 to 21mph over limit 75-125% weekly wage 21mph plus over the limit 125-175% weekly wage up to a max of £2500.

So if one is an OAP do they work out a percentage of your weekly pension?   Doesn’t seem a fair way of working out the fines, especially as some boy racers don’t even have jobs, never mind insurance etc.  

A few years ago I went with my husband to Mansfield Magistrates Court as he was disputing a speeding ticket. He was successful but whilst there we were chatting to a lad who’d been clocked on Nuthall Road several times in one day.  Unfortunately he lost his licence and his NEW job as an RAC man!  I hate that road with a passion.   

2 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

They are springing up everywhere, if you drive along the ring road from Mansfield road to the Queens med and trip each set that's your licence gone in one journey.

Unless you keep to the posted speed limit. It's really not that difficult.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, TBI said:

The speed awareness course doesn't do away with points, you simply don't get them if you attend and even better, you don't have to divulge come insurance renewal time unless specifically asked, which isn't usually the case. My son got caught by a mobile van recently.

And then keep stum for the next 5 years? I'd check that one especially if your insured with DirectLine. I'd tell you a story, but I ain't got time. 

Thankfully I don't have this problem anymore. Recently had to surrender D/L re eyesight etc. Clean license for the previous 47 years, more luck than anything else buses & wagons a lot slower than cars possibly the reason.;)

Nowadays I firmly believe that traffic enforcement is a giant money spinner, nothing else. Where I live in Bulwell the whole area has been given a 20 mph speed limit, why ? No need for it.

• Like 1

Probably due to typical laid back attitude of bus driver. When I originally went out on assessment for my PSV the instructor said 'to make a good bus driver you should adopt a laid back attitude'. I thought about it after and ended up applying it to everything. Works for me. Clean licence for 44 years. I have had one or two close calls with speed trap vans though!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, radfordred said:

And then keep stum for the next 5 years? I'd check that one especially if your insured with DirectLine. I'd tell you a story, but I ain't got time. 

No, RR. The law changed fairly recently, before there was duty to reveal anything that might be germaine even if not asked. Now one is only required to answer the specific questions asked. 

After an unfortunate incident many years ago, I filled in a claims form the following day. It said at the bottom 'Have you had a summons relating to the accident '. I put NO, as obviously I hadn't as it was only the next day. It never stated that the required informing them, so I didn't !

2 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Probably due to typical laid back attitude of bus driver. When I originally went out on assessment for my PSV the instructor said 'to make a good bus driver you should adopt a laid back attitude'.

Spot on Malc. I've never given a toss & never will !

• Like 1

The thing with insurance is getting the balance right, I'd always err on the side of caution. You don't want any subsequent hassles if you accidently smash into someones Bentley, knock down and cripple a premiership footballer or your house gets burnt down. Big claims would make the insurance company look into your details with a fine-tooth comb, trying to find a way to wriggle out.

Since the Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012 it's only required you answer questions, although as FLY alludes to, even now they can be badly worded; ambiguous, incomplete or there isn't a question that fits your circumstance. In this case you can only answer as best you can and you should not be penalised later in the event of a claim.

• Like 1

I assume the company found out the whole story,  as the next time my renewal came up, I was told to pi55 off !

Drifting off at a tangent from this subject........

I've had another look on Streetview at that stretch of road where LizzieM got her ticket, (Mansfield Road from Woodthorpe Drive down to Valley Road). I haven't been along there for a few years, but on the Woodthorpe side there seems to be nothing but new low-rise blocks of apartments.  

I've counted at least 6 which weren't there last time I looked.     https://goo.gl/maps/DAQXMtaP29N2

• Upvote 1

Don't blink Cliff, or there'll  be another block erected !

If the insurance asks you to declare then do so without hesitation, in this day and age with computers speaking to computers it will pop up anyway.

One of the problems I have found is the vehicles today are so much quieter than when I started to drive and the ride so much smoother, that I am glad the new van has come with a satnav that warns when you go over the limit, a speed limiter if needed and a cruise control. If I get a ticket now its my own stupid fault:wacko:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1