points on yer licence

Many on here talk about motorists driving recklessly, speeding and zig zagging through lanes of traffic. Do these people drive particular types of cars?. You can bet your life that here if you see someone rapidly approaching in your rear view mirror and lane changing to get one car space further ahead it will most likely be an Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Lexus, or a large 4WD that the farthest it has driven off road is someone's drive way. White van men are almost suicidal as are youngsters with Hyundai's fitted with megaphone exhaust systems.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I try to stick to the speed limit in Nottingham as they are so red-hot with the cameras but find I need to put my foot down occasionally on the motorway just to keep my concentration going, can't be d

I got 3pts and a fine for crossing a red light near the motorway in Sheffield (my fault hands up) gave the Copper some patter about how much i loved Sheffield and its people............cut no ice.....

I once put my foot down, really went for it. It was on the Dodgems at Goose Fair 1963, showing off for the lads. I couldn't stop the ble66y thing. Hit the side of the arena, hurt my ribs and bruised m

10 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

There was a rule in NSW law that unless the cop saw you pull into your driveway, he couldn't book you, so I was home and safe.

When we came to OZ we lived in NSW and spent a lot of time in the 'Gong and on the beautiful south coast. Racing the coal trucks up and down Mt Ousley often involved speeding well in excess of the 100 posted limit. For the police to book you even at 120-130 they had to prove that you were not capable of driving the car safely at that speed. Successful prosecutions were rare until they changed the laws.

Changes are on the way.

The ascociation of chief police officers (ACPO) have advised that being as speed cameras & other methods of detection have improved greatly they are suggesting that the criteria for prosecution for speeding is due for a change.

At present the usual standard for  prosecution is the quoted speed + 10% margin of error + 2 mph. So the leeway is 30mph +10% +2 mph = 30+3+2+ 35mph at 40 + 40+4 +2 =46mph.

However some police forces are now implementing a zero policy on speeding offences, so 31 mph in a 30 mph is a prosecution.

Don't forget that your car speedometer has by law to register a + 10% innacuracy, so really if you stick to your speedo readout you will be fine.

Only wagon tachographs & police traffic cars have calibrated speedometers. Wagon tachographs are checked & calibrated every 2 years as part of their MOT.

• Like 2

The info that arrived with my ‘Notice of Intended Prosecution’  states that I can go on a Speed Awareness Course if my speed was less than +10% +9 mph.  So in a 30 limit I can be considered for the course if my actual speed was 42 mph or less.  

Did the notice state your  exact speed Lizzie ? I can't remember if you mentioned it.

When your livelyhood depends on having a valid drivibg license it makes the person more vigilant & extremely vareful of any traffic violations. Over a period of years it does make you very careful when driving.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Exactly Catfan. The vehicles belong to the owner of the company. The load is important for both customer and company. 

I often had to rush, but not speed, but sometimes it was necessary to toe it in order make my deliveries and collections. 

Although I did write off a company van in the Avon Bridge roadworks in 95, but luckily I was only crawling, although I did lose most of the load, and let down the customer.

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

It's even worse if you try driving at 20mph along one of the roads with that ridiculous limit.  Pedestrians stare at you in disbelief (and are walking faster than you are driving).

Spot of hyperbole there, Kev, or perhaps Nottingham folk are faster walkers  than I remember!

• Like 1

On my last job we were taken over by a rival company, all their wagons were fitted with trackers. On telling me this my new boss said my wagon was to have one fitted, go ahead I said fit 2 of em if you like. When asked why I simply said that the tracker would work more in my favour. No weight limit infringements again, all legal meal breaks to be taken on time, everytime.Strict observance of all speed limits etc etc etc. I loved it, parked up in a lay bye having my snap & they couldn't do a thing, also they had a complete record of my days working ! Also I point blank refused to answer my company phone during rest breaks, why they asked ? Would make my rest break "Null &Void", classed as "Other Work" any problems contact VOSA, this really annoyed them !!smile2

• Like 4

Never had a tacho in those days, but always endeavoured to be at the ETA's on or before time. Re lunch breaks, I often scoffed at the wheel, then booked it as overtime on my time sheet, which paid at time and a third. There were never any complaints from the owner, as many times, my promptness exceeded his expectations. Although being told at 12.30 on a Friday afternoon to be in Rochester by 3.30 was pushing it a bit, especially having done Sewstern to Blackburn in the morning. 8pm return, and the boss was chuffed despite me having half an hours kip around Alconbury. He wasn't too chuffed with 7.5 hours overtime booked during a snowy day to Ilfracombe and return. Judges fish and chips in Barnstaple, then an hours kip.

2 hours ago, LizzieM said:

I was doing 37 mph.  I’ve since driven along that stretch at 30 mph and felt like Miss Daisy ....... smile2

You should hire yourself a chauffeur, Lizzie.  Just think, you arrive in style, unflustered, and if he speeds he gets the ticket.  He could even take you to the Piggly Wiggly.  :crazy:

I don't think they have one in Nottingham though.  Come to think of it there's not many left in Georgia now.

No Piggly Wigglies in UK to my knowledge Loppylugs!

I do have a chauffeur a lot of the time and I’m forever telling him to slow down and spend my time spotting speed cameras!

My sons have quite a few vans on the road, all with trackers.  Recently they couldn’t work out where one of their employees had got to (he’s actually their uncle). When he finally arrived back in the yard they checked his van and he’d placed a lump of lead over the tracking device which de-activated it!   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oztalgian, I remember some pretty nasty accidents down Ousley involving coal trucks, One I recall lost his brakes, one brave trucker heard him on his CB and paced him letting the runaway hit his rear, he brought him to a safe stop, God only knows how many could have died had not a trucker risked his own life. That must have been around 1980. I lived in the "Gong from 1979 until a couple of months after the big coal strike, 1982??  Odd I don't recall the date, as I was in that strike, I was working as an electrician at Wongawilli Colliery just south of the "Gong". What a beautiful sight at night looking from the transport station up on the escarpment from that colliery!!

Ayupmeducks, Yes there were a number of serious accidents on Ousley with trucks using angel gear to get another run in to the coal loader.

I remember Wongawilli Colliery as I had a family member who was in the mines inspectorate in the Gong and he looked after the Illawarra mines and the ones up around Lithgow.

Looking out over Lake Illawarra from the escarpment behind Dapto was magnificent with the Avon dam lake right behind you. In those days they used to quarantine the coal for a certain angle around the dams and lakes as they were drinking water storages. Spent many a night catching prawns in Lake Illawarra and drinking Tooheys New around the fire boiling the prawns.

I used to like seeing the Pelicans on the top of light standards over the Windang Bridge watching the traffic going under them, odd sight, but can never forget it

Some great images from around the Illawarra on this site, particularly the Sea Cliff Bridge built to replace the road that regularly fell into the sea. There is even one under the Windang Bridge.

https://www.visitnsw.com/nsw-tales/things-to-do/featured-photographer-mark-allan-photography/

When I was taking one of my ADI check tests (ADI's are tested & graded every 2 to 4 years) the supervising examiner admitted he'd got 6 points, he was worried as any more & he could lose his job. Wonder if any royalty have any points? I could imagine Liz clocking up 12 points & getting banned, oh how I'd laugh.. :)