points on yer licence

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I try to stick to the speed limit in Nottingham as they are so red-hot with the cameras but find I need to put my foot down occasionally on the motorway just to keep my concentration going, can't be d

I got 3pts and a fine for crossing a red light near the motorway in Sheffield (my fault hands up) gave the Copper some patter about how much i loved Sheffield and its people............cut no ice.....

I once put my foot down, really went for it. It was on the Dodgems at Goose Fair 1963, showing off for the lads. I couldn't stop the ble66y thing. Hit the side of the arena, hurt my ribs and bruised m

Utter lefty pinko nanny brigade propaganda ! Although I do detest seeing any form of wildlife dead on the road. 

I drive through areas of the New Forest in Hampshire, and am appalled at the amount of ponies, calves, donkeys, deer and badgers killed there. God rest their little souls.

For years we lived on the edge of Ashridge Forest in Hertfordshire and we do personally know a few people who had their cars damaged by deer running across the narrow roads.  Most of the locals drive very carefully and slowly through the forest and there are speed humps too but of course the deer have no road sense and when you’re startled by one leaping across the road right in front of your vehicle there are usually several more following a few yards behind, so there’s a warning to stop, but if that first one hits you you’ve had it. 

Deer are a big problem round here.  They even run across main roads.  Just around sunset is a very iffy time.  They are looking for an evening snack and a place to bed down.  Sad to see 'em dead on the side of the road.  You can only imagine the damage to vehicles.

There is no doubt there are deer collisions nearly had one myself on the Mallaig to Fort William road a few years back but 74,000 a year has got to be questionable. Latest figures show that the deer population 1.5 million is at its highest for a 1000 years, in parts of Scotland there are even calls for further culling do to the damage they are causing.

I simply don't believe it. Given the spread of wild deer in the UK and 1400 deer colisions a week there would be an outcry in the areas that have them.

There was a sad case in New Milton, Hants a few years ago where a guy was killed by a deer that was hit by a car travelling in the opposite direction, and it's body crashed through his windscreen and killed him. The chap who hit the deer incurred no injuries whatsoever. Wrong place, wrong time !

Even worse in Canada were the Moose.  They stand so tall that the hood of your car could go underneath them and their body would smash through the windshield.  Almost certain death for the front seat passengers.  Moose are also aggressive.  They stand their ground and have been known to charge a train.

A few weeks ago driving on the main road through Cannock Chase we almost had a catastrophe with a sudden dash of Deer. No time to avoid them , they were just fortunate with the timing. In a second, it was over. They were so fast that we never saw them come out on to the road, our first sight of them was as they ran in front of the car, missed them by a couple of inches, they were no doubt within a whisker away from death. 

We visit Cannock Chase often, as it is a beautiful and peaceful place to just park up and watch the Deer. We have often had the Deer run in front of us, so drive slowly,  but this encounter was on the main road and very frightening.