Nottingham - One of the unhealthiest cities

It is not Nottingham that is unhealthy but it's people's life styles.

If  some Nottingham residents want to smoke drink excessively & eat the wrong food it's their fault

I would expect Nottingham as a city is no more unhealthy than most other cities in the UK.

• Upvote 1

The city center is becoming the junk food capital of the UK. Every week a new junk food outlet opens in the city.

This council doesn't like to see an empty shop premises & will allow planning permission to to get the shop let.

Just take a walk around the city.

You should come to Loughborough then.

We have three McDonald's for a start but there are the pizza places,kebab houses & noodle bars.
On one road no more than 200 yards long there are 17 food outlets.

You can say/do owt with statistics,.............always got to be somewhere top/bottom............

loppylugs #8

You are quite correct in that Nottingham's water comes from the Bunter sandstone. Papplewick still pumps this water and mixes it with water from the Derwent Valley reservoirs to supply the surrounding district.

Papplewick Pumping Station has a museum and regularly steams the Victorian beam engines. It is a magnificently restored facility and well worth a visit.

• Upvote 1

Nottingham has two main supplies of water, most comes from the bunter sandstone, with most of the old wells still pumping, well with our weather they are hardly likely to run out. It is harder to see where it happens now as the kit needed to do the pumping is quite small in comparison and much of it is actually in the well. If you go to Papplewick as you enter the site on the left hand side of the drive close to the cooling pond is a modern small brick built building, that is todays pump house, same at Redhill along side what used to be the station masters house and again on Haydn Road corner of Hucknall Road close to where the two beam engines used to be located.

The second source is the river Derwent itself, water is extracted from the river close to the reservoir on the M1 between junctions 24A and 25.

Most but not all of the Dewent valley reservoirs supply Sheffield.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Behind a chavvy wench with grubby brat in the queue at Wilkos in Arnold this morning. He was squealing and she said 'Shurrup, I'll cook you a fish finger butty in a bit'. COOK a fish finger butty ! My God,is that the extent of her ability ? 

• Upvote 3

I'm amazed she knew the word 'cook', I'd have assumed she only used the microwave. 

Two Snickers washed down by a can of Red Bull.

• Upvote 3

Screaming brats in Bulwell with their chav single parent mothers are told "Shurrup or you won't go to KFC / McD's, WETHERSPOONS etc  etc...........

My you FLY, Arnold's Wilko is a bit more upmarket than Bulwell's Wilko store !

Why do even very young children these days seem to be unable to speak without shouting? I can't abide people who shout or have loud voices. I really couldn't live with that. Bad enough having a cat who shouts but at least she has an excuse. She's stone deaf!

• Upvote 2

The answer is easy Jill, just listen to their chav mother shouting down their smartphone all the time , "I'M ON THE BUS, I'M IN TESCO'S", etc etc

That's why the brats shout all the time, they think it's the norm.

• Upvote 1

I think lazy bad parents ( often rough) have always fed there children poorly...it was common in my childhood days to see a family..who were poor..and all the kids were fat!

It truly is parenting skills...we lived relatively modest furniture and fun wise..but the meals my Mum and Dad supplied were healthy and balanced.

Home baking,home made museli,soups and stews,salads and fruit.

Oven chips and pizza are just gonna give you a spare tyre..as for nuggets???

Cheap bread( white is shite)..I see it often..a fat Mam and kid...nowt in the fridge/save for Red Bull and a frube!

I do recall real poor kids on my street and my Mother dragged 'em in and fed them!..seems to me that our nanny nation need to be retaught the bare basics..a chav can walk with a buggy and text..but can't give her kids something nourishing.

Its got to stop...in my village shop/11" rack space for veg( we live in the country)!! 22ft of racking for pop drinks...all colours..

My lad got a ( welcome??) Bag/pack from uni..a duffel bag full of fast food vouchers...not a Gym membership to be seen!