I have mentioned this before somewhere but we lived on Cherrywood Gds and were right on the edge of the steep embankment overlooking whats marked as "Thorneywood Brick Works" on the map .Whats marked as F.P. would roughly.be where Cherrywood is today . As far as I know the twitchell between the houses at the end of the footpath onto Standhill is still there , as on the map .

In the old days ,the footpath was the main walking route from St Anns Well Rd to Gedling via the Donkey steps.

I don't know if the park on Standhill is still there but this looks roughly where" Standhill Brick Works" appears on the map

I hadn't thought of that, but the park (which seems to be officially called King George V Recreation Ground) is still there and is presumably the site of the former brick works. That would explain its shape and layout.

• Upvote 1

In between being King George V park and being a brickworks , it was a tip !

This from 1939 :

28976183041_b9b3bd1f8c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A photo also from 1939 prior to opening . Can't say I recognise it from this angle .28431898174_a5e4e5b6bc_b.jpg

The building on the right in the newspaper looks like the kind of place you might find in a park; if it's survived, it could be this today. The amount of vegetation has obviously changed a bit over time. And Standhill Road is on the right.

stand_zpsavlohnwk.jpg

• 2 years later...

This thread is fascinating.  I’ve lived on the Foxhill Road side of the park for just under two years now and have been curious about the origins of Standhill/KGV park.  The deeds to our house refer to the land on which our house is built being originally part of the Foxhill Garden Estate, a network of allotments that I think cross-crossed the area encompassing Ernest Road, Burton Avenue, Highfield Drive, Standhill Avenue, Third Avenue and Fourth Avenue.  It might explain why the majority of the houses and bungalows in this area are individually designed as land was potentially sold off as individual plots rather than in a bulk to a developer.  That having been said, I think Prospect Road must have been created by a developer as the majority of the properties are uniform in design.

• 2 years later...

This is a real out of left field request ('scuse the pun) but does anyone have a detailed map of Standhill Road, when they had house names instead of numbers?

My brother and I wandered up and down looking for 'Vera Ville', which was where my Dad's family lived, before they shifted up to Plains Rd.  We had no luck and would like to know if the house still exists, and if so, the current house number. Dad went to Standhill School. 

I was christened at Standhill Rd Methodist chapel and we have a pic of my Aunt with one of the foundation stones, in 1955.

Later on I bought my first house on Foxhill Rd and my ex-wife (who also lived in Foxhill), was heavily involved with the Hog Fayre, held on those fields, August Bank holiday.

Celebrity guests included Bill Maynard (I think I gave him a lift to Midland Station) "Ivy Tilsley" from Coro, Chris Tarrant and definitely my buddy, the late Graham Knight from Radio Trent. 

Happy to accept a PM in case I forget to look in here again...   

That's more likely to be Vera Villa, probably a misprint (Wiki shows it as Ville)

A good few of the remaining older properties have nameplates with Villa on, but there are some where the plate isn't visible on Google streetview.

The Villas seem to have been built between 1900 (not on maps) and 1911  (show on 1911 census records.)

The answer might have been found on the Old Maps website  https://www.landmark.co.uk/news-insights/blog/changes-to-old-maps-website/#/ 

They had large scale maps which often included such information.

But Old Maps has semi-closed down and won't be returning in its previous format....although, as Stuart C has pointed out, you can still see a lot of those old names by driving along on Streetview.

I’m not sure but there is a large steam engine at the Wollaton Park Industrial museum that came from a brick works in this area. It was at one time in a large gallery at the back of a pub just of Carlton Hill somewhere but donated to the museum when it was demolished. I don’t mean the huge beam engine but it’s in a separate area. Was the pub aptly called the engine house?

Yes, the pub was the Engine House. Built on the old Brickworks site close to the top end of Burgass Road.

My uncle would have loved it as he liked a drink and it would have been about twenty yards from his house had he not died before the pub was built.