Emperor's suit of clothes!

So that's it then Jill Sparrow. Members must not say 'The Emperor is not wearing any clothes! We have to pretend that he looks splendid, do we?

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What everyone seems to forget is they are thanks to MICK's generosity getting this service FREE..................

Oh Fly , that can't be true..... Always new adventures , new experiences, new people to meet.... The fun may be different to what it was before but it should still be as exciting ? !!!!!

Ne mind Chulla, you can huddle round the "Gas Stove" and reminisce?

1 hour ago, catfan said:

Ian Dawson been on the phone tonight, NS won't let him post comments but can see content OK ?

What is he using ? And which browser ?  

Alternatively, this may not work, but ...... try logging out; delete existing bookmark; re-search Nottstalgia; log back in; new bookmark.

1 hour ago, Enigma. said:

at the bottom of the page you should see the above radio bar - to the right of the word theme is your arrow/pointer 

Found it now...on the left of page NOT RIGHT!

Seems to me that the biggest problem for most is simply a learning curve.  Yes, some things have moved.  Some, like post #s seem to have disappeared for now at least.

Mick posted that the original forum software would soon not be supported anymore so it would have had to change.  There would have been a lot of complaints if the software had become more vulnerable to hackers and other problems.  Then folks would have said he should have updated it.  I doubt that he is too thrilled with the learning curve either.

Most of us probably liked Windows XP in its day.  It did the job well.  I would still be using it if I could, but M$ in its wisdom stopped supporting it.  Some of us moved to Win 7.   Others like myself moved to Linux.  Either way there was a steep learning curve.  The are some things I now like better than XP.  Some not quite so much.  Either way there was not much choice.  Now its Win 10.  Change is a constant.

I think a comparison with the emperor's new clothes or lack of them is far too strong.  There is no lack of clothes here it is just that they are different.  It takes time to get to know 'em.  Finding my way around it is a bit of an adventure, but it can be fun too.   Enjoy yersen's  slywink

• Upvote 5

Comments added to this topic are serious, constructive and justified. They are not frivolous but a frustrated judgement on changes that can perhaps be addressed by those who have the authority. I’m sure such persons would prefer to have opinions expressed rather than have members go dormant out of frustration.

Those who have the authority are no doubt frustrated by certain issues too.  They do not write the software they have to work with it like the rest of us.  There is no such thing as a perfect piece of software.  We just get used to it after a while.  Taking into account that we are not paying anything for it, its a pretty good deal.

• Upvote 3

I've just looked at the member map and I'm on there but shown as a green house.  Other people are shown as blue pins.  Why am I not a blue pin!!?

Also, I looked at the PM envelope and see that I can add other people to join a conversation I'm having with someone.  Is this new, or did I just not notice before?   No jokes about threesomes, please!

• Upvote 1

Maybe they ran out of blue, Margie!   Sorry I couldn't help it.  Must be something in the coffee this morning.

Seriously I would guess it might be something to do with the skin you are using.

Don't think it is to do with the skin, LL - a green house is a different shape to a blue pin

I know some don't like brevity at the moment with all the new stuff going on,and I haven't posted much while i'm trying to get me head round it,because i'm probably as thick as anyone when it comes to computers and the Internet. Well coincidentely ive been offered lots of work recently (which I don't want) in what I call new Security,which 90% involves computer work........I don't understand it,i'm stuck in the old ways of person to person stuff,which I love........however much less call for it nowadays...recently..ive done a couple of 'newsecurity type jobs and scraped by just.........so its looks like my freelance old security' will be drying up somewhat or at least being requested less often,which is fine because i'm only looking for bits now and again. Anyway reading all the remarks on here about the changes makes me realise there are some nearly as daft as me,(and I mean that in the nicest possible way lol).......so we just have to accept change and go with the flow,i'll continue on here and I know eventually it'll all sink in..........but when it comes to my work i'll be turning a lot down,at 71 don't need the stress and i'll just do what I like......like I always have,and respectably suggest all on NS do the same..........if all that made any sense i'm 'well pleased'........if it didn't kindly ignore this old fart..................lol.

• Upvote 3

I have just got back from a great holiday and logged in to see what has been happening!  This big change was a shock.  Exploring the features is a bit of fun but I miss the old version with the new threads and recently posted threads at the top of the home page.  I looked into my profile and all my notifications have gone!  All the lovely photos are still on member's posts and the members are more important than the design of the screen.

Can always rely on Ben to talk a bit of sense and take the reasonable attitude. Personally, I find computers a pain in the bottom and I don't like the way in which the microchip is trying to replace the human brain. I'd rather think for myself than have some tiny device doing it for me. Suppose it's the future though...at least for a while. As Ben says, we only have to go along with it if, and as far as, we want to!

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, MargieH said:

Don't think it is to do with the skin, LL - a green house is a different shape to a blue pin

FWIW. Margie.  I just looked at the member map and when I clicked on one of the green thingies it turned into two individual entries for different folks.  I wonder if when two members live quite close together it combines the two into one green dot?

just thinking out loud.

I just added a member marker.  At first it showed up as a little green doghouse.  (Very apprpriate). When I looked at it again it had turned into a little blue thingy.  So I don't think it matters much.

in response to poohbear's reply to me - im only trying to help out - i dont know what device you are using to access these forums or what browser you are using but there was no need for you reply in red font and virtually having a go at me 

I'll try and find you on the map, Sue, and will let you know if you're a green house or a blue pin!