Emperor's suit of clothes!

Nothing should EVER be implemented without a trial run. This has been foisted upon us and we're all trying to reach the same target, but running around in circles with minimal guidance. It's just pot luck whether we find what were searching for. 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What everyone seems to forget is they are thanks to MICK's generosity getting this service FREE..................

Oh Fly , that can't be true..... Always new adventures , new experiences, new people to meet.... The fun may be different to what it was before but it should still be as exciting ? !!!!!

Ne mind Chulla, you can huddle round the "Gas Stove" and reminisce?

2 hours ago, carni said:

On a plus side. I have a lot more success with the "Search Facility" Not failed me once yet. 

Yes, I'd noticed that as well !

Trouble is, you sometimes feel like you need a Search just to find anything that's happened since your last visit.

• Upvote 2

I think we all need a course in code breaking at Bletchley Park !  

I'm still getting logged out if I have any inactivity for more thn a few minutes, including just writing a post.  Not a big problem but it can get irritating.  Is there anywhere or way to be able to adjust the timeout period?

I lost a massive post this morning on this subject and was annoyed intensely when I was logged out and lost it. 

Ive never been so mentally frustrated in all my life ! 

I think we need to put all serious gripes into one thread- and mick+ the staff talk to the site design team.

I am getting email's from long established members who are tiring of these niggles..just a suggestion.

Me too. Surely there's enough gripes here for them to be going on with. 

And a week or so ago in another thread mick2me said:

'The bottom line of this update is, you WILL have to have it eventually.'

I wonder how many have decided they WON'T have it and are not bothering with Nottstalgia any more.  Users of the site may be reduced to those of us who are keen enough to make the best we can of the changes, eventually to be gradually boosted by new people discovering it for the first time who had no experience of it before.

• Upvote 2

I do what Col suggested now, Fly.  Just keep copying as I write.  Then if I'm logged out I can just log back in and paste what I had written.

re. Software updates.  I have had a computer since 1983.  There have been updates to various items of software that have improved functionality over time.  Unfortunately there have been many whose only purpose seemed to be to keep some programmer in a job.  I include Windoze in this.  I, for one was quite happy with XP..  We are now at win 10.  Some may be happy with it.  That's fine, but it sure ticked me off when perfectly good printers, scanners etc. no longer worked because of no new drivers.

I think it is updates just for the sake of updates that drive most of us round the bend.

Excuse me for being a technological dimbo, but how can I do it on an iPad? 

I'm on my Ipad now, Fly.   Just hit somewhere in the text.  In the box that comes up, hit COPY.  Then just carry on writing as before if the dreaded timeout occurs, just log back in restart your reply.  Tap you finger / stylus in the blank space the same box will come up.  Hit PASTE. And your text should re-appear up to where you copied.

• Upvote 1

I'm on my Ipad now, Fly.   Just hit somewhere in the text.  In the box that comes up, hit COPY.  Then just carry on writing as before if the dreaded timeout occurs, just log back in restart your reply.  Tap you finger / stylus in the blank space the same box will come up.  Hit PASTE. And your text should re-appear up to where you copied.

here it is worked just fine.  Mods please delete if you want to save space.

What we have here is resistance to change - an inevitable facet of any new software or user interface.  Were this a business environment, there would necessarily be alpha testing, beta testing, user assurance testing and training/coaching followed by support because the change would affect 'the bottom line' if not managed effectively.  Unfortunately, we are not in any such environment; we are not employed to use this nor do we pay to use it.  This user interface has to be fairly generic to suit all sorts of community discussion groups so it isn't going to please everyone all of the time.  Chances are that it is not the user interface that is bad; it is the change.  We each had to find our way around the old user interface and in time we shall get used to this one; don't be too surprised if you (eventually) decide that this interface is better than the old one.

• Upvote 4
38 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

We each had to find our way around the old user interface and in time we shall get used to this one; don't be too surprised if you (eventually) decide that this interface is better than the old one.

As I indicated above, my concern is the number of people who may decide - or have already decided - they can't get used to the new version and give up on the site altogether.

And it's difficult to come to the conclusion that an interface which produces that effect with the quoting is better than the old one (which didn't). 

• Upvote 1

I've seen you do that before, but as no-one else seems to achieve the effect I wonder what the cause is ?

If I click on the Quote word I just get one quote box. And if I click on it twice I get two boxes of the same size going down the page; I can't even deliberately get the box-in-a-box-in-a-box effect.

50 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:
50 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

If I click on the Quote word I just get one quote box. And if I click on it twice I get two boxes of the same size going down the page; I can't even deliberately get the box-in-a-box-in-a-box effect.

I've seen you do that before, but as no-one else seems to achieve the effect I wonder what the cause is ?

I don't know if it happens when anyone else does it, but I've just confirmed what I thought was happening by doing this experiment:

I clicked on Quote as usual - and it would have been fine if I'd then written something and then done the posting. But I then actually went out of the site completely - closed the tab - then went into the site again.  Now I've clicked on Quote again and this is the result. I can edit the text in either of the two quotes, including removing it, but I can't readily see how to get ride of the two quote boxes. If I was to close it again and re-open it I'd be faced with THREE lots of the above.

No doubt - I hope - there is a way around this, but I've better things to do than delve around trying to find out ways of negating something that didn't happen with the old site.

I've worked out what it is. And I can achieve it on demand.

If you go away from the site and then return, the previous quote you started will still be there; you don't need to click Quote again when you return.

You are getting the box-in-a-box effect because you are clicking on Quote when you return to your previously composed reply, and your cursor is still inside the previous quote box.

166.  Just realized that in the earlier post I said click on text then select copy.  I missed a step.  Should have said, hit anywhere in the text  then hit select all.  The text will be highlighted, then select copy.

Sorry about that omission, hope it didn't cause you a problem, Fly.

I'll attempt it in the morning when I'm mentally fresh. Thanks LL