Emperor's suit of clothes!

Has anyone expressed a dislike to this altered website yet or am I the only one in step?  Please don't bother answering, even if you find this because I certainly won't be able to find your reply.

Insipid colours; can't find budder all and what the bleddy hell is 'Activity streaming' for G sake? Is it fishing; is it olympics? It certainly ain't Nottingham English. I think it's carp.

P.S. Sorry about the spelling.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What everyone seems to forget is they are thanks to MICK's generosity getting this service FREE..................

Oh Fly , that can't be true..... Always new adventures , new experiences, new people to meet.... The fun may be different to what it was before but it should still be as exciting ? !!!!!

Ne mind Chulla, you can huddle round the "Gas Stove" and reminisce?

My sentiments exactly. I've nearly drop kicked the iPad up the garden on more than one occasion today already.

• Upvote 1

Still getting used to the old one after 50 years.

FLY2 - Haven't 'liked this'  to your reply. I said previously I wouldn't be able to find it. So we'll leave it there. lol

If you haven't already found it, this may help some people to find their way around:-

When you first visit the site...

Click on Activity

Then on All Activity

What you then see is the equivalent of the old Home page which you used to get when you went to Nottstalgia. It lists all the latest updates on the various threads which are active.

When you're on that page, save it as a bookmark and use that bookmark to come back to Nottstalgia; don't use your old previous bookmark.

• Upvote 1

Two suggestions Chrissy...

1.  Wait till Mick sees this and see if he knows anything

2. Get in contact with DAVIDW who was getting the same effect; maybe you can compare set-ups, etc !

And from the other thread on this subject, I've noticed that DAVIDW said this  Subject titles only seems to be a problem on I.E. on mobile phone . Switched to viewing it on Google browser and all views perfectly .

2 hours ago, MargieH said:

Catfan, what is so true?  Wouldn't be anything to do with Cresswell Crags would it?

My apologies my mistake, was referring to Jill Sparrow's comment in her last post.

HE'S SO 'FICKLE int he Margie................anyway whats this about Cresswell Crags?..........happy days up there,and Blid'th Bottoms.............lol.

2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

When you first visit the site...

Click on Activity

Then on All Activity

What you then see is the equivalent of the old Home page which you used to get when you went to Nottstalgia. It lists all the latest updates on the various threads which are active.

But on the old home page it didn't use to list all the postings that were new it just used to list the threads that had a new posting on.

Catfan, you are forgiven for thinking of Jill and typing my name!!

benjamin, I mentioned Cresswell Crags because Paul & I had a couple of the cave tours there when we were in Nottingham last week and the story is as follows....

One cave tour was very good, showing various flint tools etc that had been found etc, but the other one 'Rock art' wasn't so impressive.... I love art in general but found it difficult to see what were described as etchings on the rocks inside one particular cave.  I could see lots of rock formations which I could envisage as animals (as you do - or perhaps you don't?) but the very vague scratchings round some of them which were supposed to have been done by very early humans didn't look much like even primitive art to me.  The tour guide and several of the people on the tour were saying things like: "Yes, I can see the buffalo, horse, ibis etc so clearly - how impressive!"  It was at this point that I was reminded of the story of the Emperor's new clothes, where he put on clothes which he had been told had been made from the finest cloth so he could parade through the streets, but the clothes were really non existent!  The people in the crowd were all being swept along by others who were saying how wonderful his fine clothes were until a little boy called out that the King wasn't wearing anything.  This is when everyone now felt brave enough to recognise that the boy was right and started laughing at the Emperor.   I felt like that little boy when I told the tour guide (very politely of course) that I couldn't see what everyone was raving about!  However, as far as I know, Paul and I were the only people who felt this way or maybe we were the only ones who were brave enough to admit it?  

Benjamin, I reckon some of the etchings had probably been done by you and other youths when the caves were just places for playing in.  

• Upvote 2

During a period of several years when I was teaching in the area, I took the children to Creswell Crags as part of their project during the summer term. The Education Centre would provide a storyteller, dressed as a cave dweller, to lead the children through the caves and tell them the story of the pet wolf. It was always enjoyable and the children loved it. The cave dweller for the first 4years or so was a woman who would come wandering out of the bushes and pretend to be surprised to see the children.

The last time I went, the cave dweller was a dead ringer for Larry Grayson and so camp that the adults couldn't keep their faces straight! Trying to imagine this chap as a hunter gatherer brought to mind visions of him hugging a mammoth to death!

That's a long time ago and I don't know if they still do those activities but we were always lucky with the weather at Creswell.

• Upvote 3

Is it only me and a couple of others that think this new layout is retrograde? That's what I meant by heading the topic 'Emperor's suit of clothes' ; no body else seemed to notice or were reticent to express an opinion. And why are people trying to divert the subject? The topic is nowt to do with Crags, Creswell or otherwise.

• Upvote 1

The new layout is dreadful and is obviously causing confusion. Although in my seventies I am not computer illiterate having worked with them and implemented systems since the early sixties. Systems have got to be user friendly and this one is not.

• Upvote 3

Sorry Beduth. I didn't give a reply because I wasn't sure what the meaning of "Emperors suit of clothes" was about. I have read through the posts and I am still not sure. I even had to Google "retrograde, moving backwards". I will say that I am not keen on the new NS at the moment, but that might be because it is some thing new, and at my age I like familiarity with everything. I don't feel that we are moving backwards, but I at the moment I prefer the old NS. Like it or not, I think it is here to stay and I hope we all manage to master it eventually.

• Upvote 1

I'm very slightly more at ease with it than I was at this time yesterday , but will definitely be cutting down on my usage. I don't need this . 

I see people complaining that they are not seeing the correct display of their webpages, but no mention of what device they are using to access the site.

I have had no problems viewing in Chrome via my Chromebook of Android phone?