Victoria Station & Great Central Railway

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The city centre when Victoria was still operating - the mass of buildings on the right.  

.....and a few more. Who can forget the stairs leading down to Great Central island platforms?!     The Signalbox                

This just appeared on LNER Society Group on Facebook. It should be here. Ex GC Robinson 4-6-0 in Nottingham Victoria. Unfortunately I don't know one Robinson 4-6-0 from the other with the exception of Immingham Class. Someone can perhaps enlighten.

Robinson-4-6-0-Nottm-Vic.jpg

While I am at it and I don't know whether I have posted this on here before: B17 'Footballer' 2866 Nottingham Forest in Nottingham Victoria. 1936. A photo I bought at a train and toy fair years ago. Another Robinson loco in the background on this.

Nottingham-Forest-2866-nottm.jpg

• Like 2

@ThePianoman: your first photograph shows a B8 (LNER classification) 4-6-0 wheel arrangement built 1913-1915. I think only a couple made it to nationalisation & they didn’t last long.

In the other photograph the Robinson locomotive is a C4 (LNER classification) 4-4-2 wheel arrangement built 1903-1906. A few made it to nationalisation, again they didn’t last long and we’re gone by early fifties.

Some completely useless information: Robinson was first choice locomotive superintendent by the newly formed LNER. He turned it down due to his age and Nigel Gresley got the job.

In the late 1930’s the Great Central was going to be electrified to London.

However, a certain gentleman decided to invade Poland. The plan was put on the back burner, after the war the railways were on their knees and the government decided to keep open pits they were going to close before the war, sanctioning the building of more steam locomotives. Giving Riddles the job of building new maintenance friendly steam locomotives that were basically obsolete before they were up and running.

Thanks for that. I am aware that Robinson was offered the job of CME for the LNER. He is reputedly supposed to have replied "You had better give the job to that Mr Gresley".

@The Pianoman: not sure if this is the right thread as it’s nothing to do with Nottingham Victoria, however, as I can’t find a better location, here it is.

Whilst only a model and not completely accurate, it gives a nice indication of what a Robinson C4 locomotive looked like.

Jersey Lily.  I am into a bit of model engineering and am currently building a GN Atlantic (LNER C1 large boiler as 251)  in 3½" gauge. There are drawings and castings available for a Don Young design for a Jersey Lily also. Probably won't live long enough to build one.

The Pianoman , the loco you are building, will it be passenger carrying? I used to belong to Tonbridge model engineering society, and they run 3.5" and 5" gauge locos on a raised track. We carried passengers every Sunday throughout the summer.

The track is identical to Tonbridge track. Coincidentally, the name Maisie is the same as I've just sign written on a Sussex Trugg for my next door neighbour, (see Barries pictures).

I used to see engines like that when there used to be a model engineering exhibition at Victoria Baths many years ago. Engineering, both electrical and mechanical, is my first love but I’m more geared to fixing and restoring rather than building from scratch. I did build a car once, a Caterham 7 and my 1952 grey Fergie is in need of a makeover having been standing outside through lack of space.

• 1 year later...

I tried the search to find somewhere to post this, but I gave up so I thought well this has Victoria in the heading , so if it needs moving please move it thanks.

In the Evening Post are 12 photos of Victoria Station in the link below.

Nottingham's Victoria Station in 12 fascinating and nostalgic photos - Nottinghamshire Live (nottinghampost.com)

• Like 3
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Victoria Station & Great Central Railway