Victoria Station & Great Central

13 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

They'll have to finish mending Tornado first.

It seems like Tornado is now back together. They have announced five runs between Edinburgh and Aberdeen for next year - this may be my chance to see it in action.

• Like 2

Like the Flying Scotsman Tornado's sound is all different to some of the old loco's that are preserved and what I remember of steam when they were running on the mainline, I think it must be something to do with the boilers being welded as opposed to being riveted, they seem to lack that whoomph when pulling away, a much more subdued sound, a welded boiler can't expand and contract like a riveted one, they seem more tame somehow, they still have all the power but sound different, let me know what you think after you've heard it

Rog

• Like 1

One of the most depressing places I have ever visited - the area surrounding Blaenau Ffestiniog. It's grey and grey and more grey. Every time I've been there the colour of the sky has matched the slate spoil heaps - grey and it's very often foggy as well. If you ever find yourself there, get on the train and escape as fast as you can. The town itself is not too bad, it's the surrounding area. Make sure you're well topped up with Prozac before you go.

• Upvote 2

Have to agree jonab and the natives are not too friendly either. My son and his classmates spent a week as volunteers working in the morning on the railway and free in the afternoon. They couldn't go anywhere after lunch without being attacked and chased away by Welsh speaking yobs.

When I went to collect him and went for something to eat there was a sudden silence when we entered the café and it was more than obvious we were not welcome.

• Upvote 1

Without the free spending tourists, they'd be destitute. They want to count their blessings for a decent bit of scenery here and there.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a video wot my brother found on You Tube. It covers Great Central form London Marylebone to Nottm Victoria and beyond.... up to Hucknall, Annesley etc.

Most of the local excitement comes in the last 3rd of the film. Shots of Boowul Common are especially nostalgic to me.  Can even see the 'old' 'new' Golden Ball pub.  I saw it built during my early adolescence.. I replaced the old, old Golden Ball in Boowul Town Centre.

All gone.

• Like 3

Obviously in its last days, just before the line closed completely. I did a fast-forward to 20.45 where the Nottingham bit starts, when it goes through the Meadows and Arkwright Street station on the viaducts.  When it's in Victoria Station you can see buildings on Glasshouse Street which are still there today, and further on, all the Basford/Bulwell/Hucknall stations are semi-derelict.

Makes me feel old when I realise that I was in junior school when that film was taken.

It looks like a bomb has hit it! Compare and contrast with German Railways where plenty of bombs did avctually hit. Modern diesels and electrics in the 1950s while BR was still chugging along with  its museum-piece steamers. Emblematic of how Britain wasted the peacetime dividend - which we are still paying for.

23 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Here's a video wot my brother found on You Tube.

Great video DJ

Some of the locos and rolling stock looked decidedly shabby and in need of a good clean and wash down. What was refreshing was the absence of graffiti on every bridge, wall and building.

10 hours ago, notty ash said:

steam lasted until the 1970s in Germany, years after the last steam locos were withdrawn from BR

(Vale of Rheidol narrow gauge line excepted of course)

Generally speaking, British Steam Locomotives were far more attractive than those from other countries because their designers did not clutter their lines with external pipes/devices/bits and pieces. The German Loco above may well have been highly efficient.. but it was a visual mess. British designers managed to produce locomotives which were mostly both efficient, AND attractive.

They looked bigger and heavier than BR . It may have been camera angle but some the curves looked impossibly tight...