sweetpea

Victoria Station & Great Central

Frank    9

Good link Red - that brought back memories.

Did you see the 3 blokes standing on the top with the sledge hammers? None of that these days with all the H & S police about.

Merthyr Imp    684

The latest issue of the magazine 'Steam Days' (September issue) arrived in the post today, and although I haven't read it yet what looks well worth checking out is an article 'The Last Weekend of the Great Central's London Extension' by a David Pearce. 

Several good photos of Victoria Station are included along with some at Wilford and the bridge over the Trent. Also a good map centring on the GC line through West Bridgford.  The article seems to consist of memories of someone who lived in sight of the line there.

radfordred    2,322

I did have to watch it in mute after 1:15 that piano music shocking, sure it will interest some

FLY2    7,092

I purchased it MI, and didn't learn much I didn't already know. However, some of the pictures were new to me. Quite a good read all the same. A bit on the GC is better than nothing at all.

Smiffy49    573

Yes, it was a good article seen through the eyes of a local lad whose house overlooked the GC through Wilford.

A favourite haunt of mine during the same period.

LongJohn    15

When I was about 8, and at Patrick Road WB infants' school, the GC embankment was on a level with the upper floor classrooms. That, plus when our family moved to Colwick, we lived in a cul-de-sac with the LNER(?) and Midland lines at the end of the road, is why I love steam trains to this day.

On a tangent, I have spent the last year trying to stop the Education Funding Agency from knocking down an Edwardian school with far better architecture than Patrick Road - no justice!!

Cliff Ton    5,492
On 13/05/2017 at 11:38 PM, LongJohn said:

When I was about 8, and at Patrick Road WB infants' school, the GC embankment was on a level with the upper floor classrooms.

And this (I think) might be the closest you'll get now as a reminder of what you are referring to. The school is in the background beyond the tunnel which goes under the railway line. The embankment is now cleared and replaced by housing.

NMtqDwY.jpg

And I think the line was not the GC; it was the Midland line to London via Melton.

• Upvote 1

LongJohn    15

Cliff Ton: you are a star! When I was in WB a couple of weeks ago, and walking along Rectory Road, it was obvious where that embankment had been. In your photo, the building you can half see in the foreground was a sweet shop. Yet sweets only came off ration in '53.

You are right about the line.

• Upvote 1

radfordred    2,322

DJSEtk2WsAEYIX1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2