"Southwell Minster"...I say....why was such a magnificent building built in Southwell ?

Well it would look odd in the Hebrides, wouldn't it ;)

does anybody know if one of the original magne carta`s is kept at southwell minsta? just as i`ve wrote this our gert said " why don`t you look on t`internet......smartarse her. i am under the impression that more than one was made.

in answer to my own question...two copies are kept at the british museum, one at lincoln cathedral and the other at salisbury cathedral...why is there a pub called tha magna carta at southwell then?

in answer to my own question...two copies are kept at the british museum, one at lincoln cathedral and the other at salisbury cathedral...why is there a pub called tha magna carta at southwell then?

There was also a pub called the Magna Carta down the old Meadows Rob.. Deering Street??? Shippo's house??? Been a long time now..

to long ago for me ayup, can remember the quorn though, is that still there?

Dunno Rob, I left Nottingham in early 1975, I was at Clifton Estate at that time. I left the UK in 79, so I'm completely out of touch now...

keep forgetting your not in this neck of the woods any more sorry bout that p.s. r u the fella that went to blue bell hill ?

Yep, went to that school Rob. Started there in 1952..

this might seem like a long shot ayup but my dad and uncles went there to, maybe about the same time, i`ll p.m. you their names

Now that would be a shock Rob!! I have done my best over the ten or more years I've been on the internet to trace old mates down with very little success.

About what time would the Magna Carta have been demolished,does anyone know? I remember as a girl in The Meadows going to the area where the pub was to call for a school friend & I remember quite clearly that pub on the corner,please tell me it was on a corner orI may think I'm losing my faculties among other things !!!

• 5 years later...

I do like a good 6-year bump!

One of the copies is kept in Lincoln Castle Prison and not the Cathedral.

• 2 weeks later...

nearest magna carter pub is at lowdam i think not that far from southwell really perhaps some of the army were camped in lowdam i dont really know though.

:) I often take a trip out to Southwell - courtesy of my bus pass. First thing I do when I arrive at the historic town is take a walk up through the twitchell to the local Co-op. In there, I'll buy sandwiches and fruit, plus a couple of cans of something - normally Gin and Tonic. Then I'll make my way to the Minster, choose a pew in the grounds.

I'll enjoy my meal, read a little and then go take a look around the Minster and consider the wonderful gargoyles and architecture of this beautiful, historic church - both inside and out.

Afterwards, I'll normally visit the library - love libraries; how civilized of the place to provide a drinks making machine now. Oh, and then after the library I'll visit the antique shops - take a browse round.

How privileged I am, to be able to make a journey for free to such an interesting and varied Nottinghamshire village, that isn't too far from the City. :)

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

:) I often take a trip out to Southwell - courtesy of my bus pass. First thing I do when I arrive at the historic town is take a walk up through the twitchell to the local Co-op.

Afterwards, I'll normally visit the library - love libraries; how civilized of the place to provide a drinks making machine now.

Not something I particularly enjoy but I find a little shopping trip to Southwell Co-op makes the chore reasonably enjoyable!

I also like a little visit to the library there - usually to delve into the local interest books.

Southwell - with all it's charm and history - is easily for me the most attractive town in Nottinghamshire.

Take a trip to Lincoln Jackson,the cathedral is an amazing structure to walk around inside and out.

If you take the pedestrian route,up the steep hill from the town,be sure not to hit the 'gin and tonic' till you reach the top.

Have to agree, love a visit to the Cathedral Quarter in Lincoln. Would highly recommend the guided roof tour of the cathedral - fascinating (and a great view).

piggy has a photo taken in the sixties of him big mick and alwyn sot on three graves with crosses behind them all with arms crossed eyes closed taken on one of our regular trips to southwell .