A few random photos - 3

There's an article from 1947 that says "considerable parts of the (Burkins) factory were requisitioned by various Ministries for war production and storage" . Nothing more specific unfortunately .

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now that people are getting their heads around the recent changes, it's time to have a post in the old style which has nothing to do with software updates.     A proper bus at Tren

Sir Henry "Tim" Birkin and a supercharged Bentley at Brooklyn 1932 .  

#25. The Birkin's Mill factory was taken over by Rolls-Royce during the war. The main engine repair and overhaul factory was on Garden Street, with Birkins Mill and Leengate (what became Bell Fruit Machines) being the satellites supporting Garden Street with machining facilities, etc. Another thread mentions Albert Street, Bulwell, and along with Piccadilly Works there, Rolls-Royce had storage facilities.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for that Chulla,could answer a question about the Albert street Bulwell factory I was on about in the Bulwell topic,do you have any idea what the factory was called or what they produced?

Rog

Sorry, don't know what building was used in Albert Street, but it did not produce anything, it was just a storage facility.

thanks for that chulla it just seemed strange that all the wagons were American lots of them we lived opposite and one of them ran away and knocked our wall down  I recall being on my three wheeled tin bike pedalling furiously down the path when I was suddenly flying through the air backwards  My mum had grabbed me off it  just has an American p38 nearly took our chimney pot off  I think it was in the fifties that the queen visited the factory our garden was full of people as the rolls Royce pulled up  no one would believe you now that we had the queens roller parked outside ha ha  meeowed

• Upvote 2

Depending on your internet habits, some of these may have been seen elsewhere.

Looking up Lister Gate

OUerVaH.jpg

Looking up Beastmarket Hill, with Yates's on the right.

oRbMs2s.jpg

The top end of Exchange Arcade, looking towards the old Boots shop.

RULa1Il.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

great photos, thanks for them, it is how I remember Nottingham as a young lad, all memories from that period seem to be in black and white and no colour , if the photos were in colour to me it would not be as I remember good old Nottingham.

• Upvote 1

Looking at those photographs and others makes me wonder - Is it me or was Nottingham city centre a much more interesting cityscape than the ambiguous dross it is now?

• Upvote 2

the "old" photo of trinity square revives memories of catching the number 28 corporation bus from there to go home from school, the trouble is that it also reminds me of my age , as the more vivid memory to me is that I caught the bus more times from there when the Trinity Church was still standing.

53 minutes ago, trogg said:

the "old" photo of trinity square revives memories of catching the number 28 corporation bus from there to go home from school..... when the Trinity Church was still standing.

I'll bet this is a bit before your time, though.

trinity-3.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • 4 weeks later...
On 25/04/2017 at 11:58 AM, benjamin1945 said:

At least its a new Topic..........a bit thin on the ground lately.................or am i missing them being swallowed up with all the games ?

As a result of benjamin's hint, here's today's second new topic.

The Square and Council House when there was a bit of greenery.

J9687WR.jpg

A proper green bus outside Griffin & Spalding.

pxdxXpp.jpg

Theatre Square a long time ago.

D31KIpz.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

Thanks Cliff.  Not sure of the date but slab square looked good back then.  Even the sky looks good.

btw.  Seemed to be quite a slowdown again last night.  Wonder if the backups are growing again?

Blooming hooligan ! 

• Upvote 2