A few random photos - 3

Carni, when I was up that particular tree, I was about 15 or 16, so you wouldn't have even started smoking at that point .... would you???   

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now that people are getting their heads around the recent changes, it's time to have a post in the old style which has nothing to do with software updates.     A proper bus at Tren

Sir Henry "Tim" Birkin and a supercharged Bentley at Brooklyn 1932 .  

Started young i'm afraid Margie. 1962, 14yrs old, in the 'Drag Hole' on the way home from school. One Park Drive between ten!!! YUK. Never did like being last in the queue. One Red hot, wet  quarter inch Nub by that stage.:wacko:

Great  pictures Cliff Ton, Thanks.

That is the slab square that I remember, not the soulless monstrosity that is there today.

Those idiots that built Maid Marion way and other "improvements" that destroyed forever the heart and history of the city should be named and shamed.

They should be made to rebuild it as was, like many cities did after WWII and bu**er the cars and traffic flow, we could then walk around a city with some soul. I know it will never happen but we can all dream.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

As the title says.....

Long Row

NVX7AmB.jpg

King John Street - the old Central Market on the left and the Palais is the brick wall on the right.

bEkcMpW.jpg

I only know what the caption says - presumably somewhere in St Ann's, and probably not still there.

BJwVAtC.jpg

• Upvote 12

There actually was a St Ann's Church on St Ann's Well Road, demolished 1971 as part of the redevelopment. I think that's the one where some of the head stones went in a park on Batthley Street.

Nice pics by the way thank you. 

Loved the pictures Cliff Ton. I wonder what it would look like today if we took photos from the same place?

If only the planners/council had the sense to leave the historic parts of the city alone instead of building ugly ring roads (Maid Marion Way) and concrete monstrosities. Yes I know, we have to have progress but it should have been sensitive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

A bit late replying but I had an appointment at St. Annes, 2.30 pm. March 18th. 1950. Good job I wasn't late, the girl friend ( & her father) arrived a few minutes later!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:56 PM, NewBasfordlad said:

There actually was a St Ann's Church on St Ann's Well Road, demolished 1971 as part of the redevelopment. I think that's the one where some of the head stones went in a park on Batthley Street.

Nice pics by the way thank you. 

Know St Ann's church well mum and dad married their in 1935 at the back of the church was a little school this was were my mum attended but you mention head stones I can't remember seeing any in the grounds of St Ann's church as it only had a small piece of ground around it, but at the bottom of St Ann's well road there was St Cathines and if my memory serves me right I am sure there ground  had head stones in it.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:46 PM, Cliff Ton said:

As the title says.....

Long Row

NVX7AmB.jpg

King John Street - the old Central Market on the left and the Palais is the brick wall on the right.

bEkcMpW.jpg

I only know what the caption says - presumably somewhere in St Ann's, and probably not still there.

IBJwVAtC.jpg

I'm sure where Central market and the Palais  was the street was King Edward Street.

1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

Photo 2 is side of the Palais..Bath st.at the top of picture.

Were the people are standing is King Edward st and were the electric board sign in front of this was  the old bus station then the roundabout, St Ann's Well Road and right Bath St

• Like 1

No problem Ian. Jallands vaults was off the beaten track as regards the regular Saturday night tours, so it gets few mentions in Hockley  history. The usual places were nearer town centre. Jallands, in the pic centre with the heavy window mullions, was to me cold and uninspiring the one time I did venture inside.

I've had a couple of work Christmas lunches in the Mandarin and the Mill when it opened in the 80s.

Ian, the public loo is now in or outside the industrial museum at Wollaton park, (I often wondered when the cast iron loo was in place on London road if the waste went straight into the canal)

Rog

• Like 1

I got turned away from Yates for having a new pair of black jeans on once.It was my works Christmas session meeting up point that night and long before mobile phones.Hung around outside but it was bitterly cold so ended up going home and missing the works do.That was nearly 30 years ago and I have only been back in once since.

• Like 1