large scale map - Talbot Street

Has anyone got a large scale map of Talbot street from the sixties please ? ie, 1/500 or 1/1250. Specifically the Dakins storage company site. (North side)

Regards, Terry.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And here's a photo to prove it. On the far left, you can also see the former livery stable which became a restaurant, and which is now student accommodation building

Ben Bowers became 1877 and then had a brief existence as a bar, The Late Lounge. A girl I was at school with worked at Ben Bowers in the late '70s.   Before then, until some time in the earl

Now you've said that, here's a better and more accurate version. It's even marked as Depository to confirm everything.     And here's a photo from the 1950s looking down Talbot Str

Thanks Cliff-ton. I think Dakins will be the industrial buildings opposite the Warp knitting factory. I recall there was a chicane in the road and quite wide at that point.

Map scale is great, just the job.

I will search the map source you quoted, the digital world normally beats me, but here goes.........

Now you've said that, here's a better and more accurate version. It's even marked as Depository to confirm everything.

talbot_zpss0ggtll6.jpg

And here's a photo from the 1950s looking down Talbot Street; the lorry in the lower left is a Dakin's vehicle parked outside their building !

talbotst_zpsb6px7w3h.jpg

• Upvote 1

Great snap Cliff!,always recall the petrol pump man in a white smock,Dakins wagons were better than Pickford's.

Near Pope & Parr there were some cottages.

Must be very late 60's since I was in an abode in Russell Place.

Post 5 above is bang on. I had forgotton Morkel and Carnell's. Thank's Cliff Ton, I did manage to find the 1/1250  (1955-1969)on the link you gave,but I couldn't get it as clear as you did.

Dakins depository would have been demolished in '69 or soon after, following the disastrous fire in January '69.

Would love to see a photo of Dakins, Morkell and Carnells is so tees-ingly close !

It's strange that the plan layout in post 5 doesn't tie in with the photo after the fire.It is the correct period. The buildings on the plan are set well back from the wall. The 30's photo shows the building closer to the wall.That older photo does tie in with the fire photo, the pitched roof sheds in the yard also fit the space well.. The bigger of the two sheds was the under-cover garage.

The terrace of large houses, 104 to 114 line up with Dakins  in the aerial photo, but not on the plan. Very odd.

Must look again at the link to maps from an earlier age.

Got it, the earlier plans, up to 1962 show the separate buildings. The 1965 to 69 just show it as one block which makes the front area look like a big yard.

I used to be good with plans !

Mind you, my time at Chalfont Drive was 50 years ago..........

I remember Dakins yard,it was like cinder/ashes.

What is puzzling me is - I didn't know there was a church!..where's the house that cliff or Catfan revealed earlier this year?..the one on the actual junction which had it's bay window hidden for years?

The raised houses on Wollaton st are there..Robbie dated a girl there..I knew the family well. Also John Proctor's pad is at the top of Toll House Hill..a great RCTS chap.

The church was St Matthews and seems to have been there until the 1950s. The site was partly occupied by the Morkell & Carnell place; the other half is currently a car park (on the right). The old building in the centre of this photo has somehow survived, and was a school connected to the church.

talbot%20church_zpskdylliep.jpg

1 hour ago, iandawson said:

where's the house that cliff or Catfan revealed earlier this year?..the one on the actual junction which had it's bay window hidden for years?

Twas me. I'm amazed anyone has remembered that !  That house is right at the top of Talbot Street where it splits with Wollaton Street. The bay window can hardly be seen now because it's been hidden by the current new building (which is nearly finished)

talbot_5.jpg

On the far right of this photo you can see the windows of the surviving old church building.

Cliff Ton, are there any more photo's of Dakins on the morning after the fire ? I tried East Midlands photographic records without success. The photo you posted is a different version of the one that was in the Evening Post, so I assume there are more? I tried the Evening Post many years ago and was told they didn't keep old records. Maybe I was fobbed off .I would have been happy to pay for any copies they could provide.

Would love to be able to fill a few blanks in on my records of that incident.

Thanks Cliff ton, I looked at picture post, 2 of the photo's of lamp standards !  show features of the Dakins building that settle some queries on the building shape/layout.

Every little bit helps.

• 9 months later...

Re the 1930's aerial photo of the hosiery factory at 100 Talbot Street, post 9 dated 23/8/16, by Cliff Ton, I would love a print of that but cannot find its' source or any link to print it ( or purchase a copy as with PTP). Can anyone offer advice here please ?

Regards, Terry.

• 1 year later...

Fogrider, you may be interested to know that some of the remaining old buildings across the road from Dakins are being demolished. The derelict car showroom and the old building next to St Matthew's church are disappearing - or have disappeared by now.

4nNIr0K.jpg

Thanks Clifton, just spotted your post. It's amazing what keeps disappearing. A couple of months ago I visited Talbot Street and took pictures of how it all is now, but on the Dakins side, ie Bowman House which is on top of the Dakins site. The buildings you show were all in use still !

For some reason, 116 Talbot Street remains, the West end of the Heart church, part of Belmont Terrace that was being demolished at the time of the Dakins job. That's going to end up one of the only old buildings left along there  !

Regards

Just noticed the other day that it looks as though the massive Bulwell Stone retaining wall on Wollaton Street has gone. I remember going looking at cars in the showroom there with Mum & Dad in 1973, a Saab would have been a better choice than the Ford Zephyr they opted for in the end.

I took a couple of Mapillary sequences from the top deck of an Orange Line bus (unfortunately only before works started, and after it was completed, on Talbot Point): they may of (historical) interest:

Obviously there are also older Google StreetView images too.

According to this 1951 trade directory Pope & Parr (stained glass makers) were located at 116 Talbot Street in 1951:  The entry itself:

POPE & PARR. Head Office and Works: 116 TALBOT STREET, NOTTINGHAM. T.N., Nottingham 40159. Works: 13 STOCKBROOK ROAD, DERBY. T.N., Derby 4045. Established 1897. One electric glass-firing kiln.
Manufacturers and processers of constructional glass products; stained glass windows; leaded lights; patent glazing.
Partners: F. A. B. Parr; L. N. Parr.

My memory only locates them in the building which was demolished to build Talbot Studios. They are now on Daleside Road, obliquely across the BP petrol station. I think 116 is now part of Talbot Studios: certainly all entries with that address are listed as historical on Nottingham Insight Mapping.

Does anyone know if Heart Church are direct successors of Elim Pentecostal Church which was what the church was called in the '70s? More recently it was The Christian Centre. We've still got it listed as being part of Assemblies of God on OpenStreetMap, but I suspect that's out-of-date.

The Heart Church is a replacement for ' The assemblies of God'.. That was formed of 102 to 114 Talbot Street, Victorian Terraces called Belmont Terrace. 116 was the western part of Belmont Terrace and, for whatever reason, was not demolished when the rest was. Belmont Terrace was under demolition at the time of the Dakins fire in January 1969. Presumably to create the Heart Church, unless there was a name change after the new building was put up.

116 is still there, looks like a private house, easily seen on Google street view as the orange-looking bricks stand out.

If you look at Cliff Ton's post of 23 Aug 2016, earlier  in this thread, you can see Belmont Terrace to the left of Dakins building, partly obscured by St Mathews church but the three windows of 116 can be seen on the left end of the terrace.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2018 at 3:56 PM, SK53 said:

Just noticed the other day that it looks as though the massive Bulwell Stone retaining wall on Wollaton Street has gone. I remember going looking at cars in the showroom there with Mum & Dad in 1973, a Saab would have been a better choice than the Ford Zephyr they opted for in the end.

And this is proof...looking down Wollaton Street.

V0e7sSk.jpg

Has the old EMEB building been demolished by now?  If so, what replaced it?  It was right up against Hanley street  The bus fro Stockhil used to srop right there.  It  may have been a 22.  Memory getting a bit shaky.