large scale map - Talbot Street

Not the depot you probably remember LL, a multi-story car park has replaced it. The 33kv TX's are still there along with the switch room. It was a poplular place for employees to park when going to town but sadly a couple have jumped from the car park so it's not really a place anyone likes to go now.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And here's a photo to prove it. On the far left, you can also see the former livery stable which became a restaurant, and which is now student accommodation building

Ben Bowers became 1877 and then had a brief existence as a bar, The Late Lounge. A girl I was at school with worked at Ben Bowers in the late '70s.   Before then, until some time in the earl

Now you've said that, here's a better and more accurate version. It's even marked as Depository to confirm everything.     And here's a photo from the 1950s looking down Talbot Str

9 hours ago, loppylugs said:

The bus fro Stockhil used to srop right there.  It  may have been a 22.  Memory getting a bit shaky.

It was the 22, Loppy. We used to catch it too, as it went past our road.

• Like 1

Interesting, Brew, thanks.

I think in time past they may have had a DC generator hall there.  In my day it had become  garage for repair of EMEB vehicles.  Up against Hanley street were offices and stores.  Electricians got their work orders for the day and bus tokens and off they went to various parts of Nottingham   service guys for cookers and other appliances were all based there and usually drove a vehicle as we were never long in one place.

About 1968/69  we all moved out to Bilborough.

8 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

I think in time past they may have had a DC generator hall there.  In my day it had become  garage for repair of EMEB vehicles.  Up against Hanley street were offices and stores.

Don't forget there's a thread on Hanley Street with photos of the places you've mentioned.....  https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/7255-hanley-street-terminus/?

• Like 1

Am I right in remembering an Ericsson's Telephones factory at the top of Talbot street near to Canning Circus where they fabricated mechanical relays for the GPO telephone system?

These devices had electrical contacts made of platinum and there was a story knocking around when I was living in Nottingham of a racket going on where certain Ericsson employees would leave the platinum off the relay and just bend an ordinary copper wire around the contact strip. They then proceeded to sell the platinum to manufacturing jewellers.

Anyone else heard of this?

4 hours ago, jonab said:

Am I right in remembering an Ericsson's Telephones factory at the top of Talbot street near to Canning Circus where they fabricated mechanical relays for the GPO telephone system?

What years would this be ?  Looking at a few old maps for the area, I can't see any building which might fit the bill.

10 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

What years would this be ?  Looking at a few old maps for the area, I can't see any building which might fit the bill.

That would be early-mid 60's. The building was at the top of Talbot St at the apex with Wollaton St going down from Canning Circus. It was quite tall (5 - 6  storeys) and Victorian in appearance. Looking at GSV it seems that the site is now rebuilt as 'Talbot Point Student Accommodation'.

There was no signage outside to indicate what was manufactured there but it always seemed quite busy.

That's the place I remember. I also remember that on the extreme left of that picture - by the left of the C&S lorry (perhaps a bit nearer the camera, more towards Canning Circus) there was a public convenience of VERY dubious reputation. I went in once, not knowing then of its notoriety. NEVER again!!!

I think Ocean City was at the top of Derby Road in the former premises of an undertaker. Ben Bowers was the building at the apex of Derby Road and Wollaton Street. A nice restaurant, now closed. Don’t recall a restaurant at the apex of Talbot Street and Wollaton Street, but .....?

I remember the restaurant in the former undertaker’s. When I last ate there it was called ‘Mr. Haddock’, an upmarket fish and chip shop. It was the left  hand side of Canning Circus going out of Nottingham. Ben Bowers was diagonally opposite on the other side of Derby Rd.

Ben Bowers became 1877 and then had a brief existence as a bar, The Late Lounge. A girl I was at school with worked at Ben Bowers in the late '70s.

Before then, until some time in the early 1970s, it was a hardware store. The firm is still in business, as Hall's Locksmiths at 92 Alfreton Road. They moved from Canning Circus to a larger shop on Derby Road near the Danish Homestore, perhaps as the locksmithing side of the business took off. Another school friend had a Saturday job there. I have no idea when they decamped to Alfreton Road.

I checked 116 Talbot St, and it's now definitely part of the Talbot Studios complex.

I took a few photos too:

32725346028_8ffb33c91b_z_d.jpg

45685116115_a329bba86a_z_d.jpg

45875327014_0645a04266_z_d.jpg

I'd forgotten about the dodgy Gents on Canning Circus: have added it to my map of old public loos: http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/former-public-toilets-in-nottingham_197414

There's a separate thread about Clowers, which seems to support my memory that they were part of the Co-op.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Clowers were the undertakers. It was also a restaurant called Pengellys.

But wasn’t that another building on the other side of the road, with arched windows? 

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Think Ben Bowers was originally a branch of Boots. 

And here's a photo to prove it.

STZ4Nz5.jpg

On the far left, you can also see the former livery stable which became a restaurant, and which is now student accommodation building

• Like 3

So just going back to the factory, which always looked quite anonymous; in the other thread there's mention of a Parrs who made circuits. Was it actually Parrs, were they sub-contractors, were they taken over by Ericcsons? 

4 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Perhaps it didn’t have arched windows. Can’t see them on the old ‘photos.

Just looked at a 'photo of Mr Haddock's and that did have arched windows. Perhaps they were a later embellishment when it was converted from the funeral parlour?